AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried this in the projector forum but couldn't get a reply from anyone.

I have searched and I see that YCbCr is digital and the YPbPr that my DVD player puts out is analog. What I don't understand is how to make it work? I have tried both the composite and the S-video and I was hoping to do a little better. I understand that Davis is not known for its great scalers and I don't expect a miracle but couls it be better without purchasing an external scaler. My DVD is a Pioneer Elite DV36 and it can output progressive or interlaced. Maybe my projector is just too old but it shows hooking up a DVD player in the manual but also says YCbCr. Am I expecting too much? Also does anyone know how to access the bulb hours in the menu? The manual only shows how to reset the hours? Thanks in advance everyone.

:(

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
I hope I get all of this right, feel free to correct me here...

YPbPr basically describes the type of signals going across. There are basically two types of color signal "domains" (or gamuts):

* RGB - Red, Green, Blue - each of which gets a separate signal.

* YPbPr - Y (Luminance - or B/W if you will), Pb (difference from Y signal to get to Blue), Pr (difference from Y signal to get to Red).

Since it turns out that luminance is the most important part that the eye looks at, you usually put twice as many bits of information in Y as in Pb or Pr. This makes it ideal for putting in (digitally) on the DVD disks, and it is native to the DVD format.

Ok, now YPbPr is DIGITAL on the DVD disk itself. However, to get it out to your projector it has to be transferred through a set of cables.

Some projectors need RGBHV and some can accept YPbPr / YCbCr (lots of them accept both).

Basically, on YPbPr, the signal is converted into analog (I believe 1Vptp on Y and 0.7Vptp on the others, but I could be mistaken). So, you basically have 3 BNC or RCA cables going from your DVD out to your projector. The Y signal also carries the sync signals. Plugging just the Y signal in, will get you a B/W image.

To get RGB, the DVD player (or your scaler) converts the color domain (or gamut) to RGB signals, which are usually transfered using a VGA connector, or 5 cables (R, G, B, Horizontal sync and Vertical sync).

SVideo is basically YPbPr with Pb and Pr combined into a single cable using modulation (so they have to separated using a band-pass filter). YPbPr option gives you the best *analog* solution for passing video signals between your DVD player and display device.

In short, if you are hooking the YPbPr outputs of your DVD player to the correct ones on your projector & see nothing, either your DVD player is bad, the cables are bad, the connection is bad (i.e., you didn't match the right cable with the right connector) or the projector has a problem... Also, if your DVD player has progressive/interlaced options, try them both.

·
Banned
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did try both progressive and interlaced settings and got nothing. Are you saying YPbPr and YCbCr are the same? The cables are good but I do have to use an HD15 to rca cable for the projector. My DVD player says it will output 540P. I guess I just don't get it. Oh well

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
There's slight differences in the connections (or so I've been told), but in 100% of the cases, they are interoperable and should work.

540p?! It's supposed to be 480p (or 525p, if you count the unused scan lines).

Something is hosed on either your display or your player.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.