AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1529

Unfortunately, these were all 30GB HD DVD discs and are now being squeezed on blasted 25GB BD discs!

All 3 have great transfers on HD DVD, however, so it's good news for anyone without the other format. Hopefully the "Halloween Pack" will be priced right and I can upgrade for the lossless audio.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Black /forum/post/14308975

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1529

Unfortunately, these were all 30GB HD DVD discs and are now being squeezed on blasted 25GB BD discs!

All 3 have great transfers on HD DVD, however, so it's good news for anyone without the other format. Hopefully the "Halloween Pack" will be priced right and I can upgrade for the lossless audio.

I'm looking forward to all three but it looks like they cut corners on the "extras" to squeeze them onto BD-25s thus necessatating keeping the SD DVD versions for anyone who doesn't want to lose any content. All three do contain 5.1 DTS-HD MA tracks so thumbs up to Universal for not sacrificing on the audio.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave JJ /forum/post/14309039

I'm looking forward to all three but it looks like they cut corners on the "extras" to squeeze them onto BD-25s thus necessatating keeping the SD DVD versions for anyone who doesn't want to lose any content. All three do contain 5.1 DTS-HD MA tracks so thumbs up to Universal for not sacrificing on the audio.

The extras may still be on there. It's possible they put them all in the U-Control feature. Either way, that sucks. The extras should be included in their original standalone form.

I don't see any reason to replace Dawn of the Dead on HD-DVD since that had a TrueHD track anyway, but now I'm hesitant to "upgrade" The Thing.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_ME /forum/post/14309055

The extras may still be on there. It's possible they put them all in the U-Control feature. Either way, that sucks. The extras should be included in their original standalone form.

I don't see any reason to replace Dawn of the Dead on HD-DVD since that had a TrueHD track anyway, but now I'm hesitant to "upgrade" The Thing.

+1. Glad my knees are solid and not prone to jerking and causing me to sell discs...

·
Registered
825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir /forum/post/14309898

Anyone have the movie file sizes and bit rates for the HD DVD versions?

I was wondering about that too.

It might be that none of the titles used up all the 30 GB on the HD-DVD discs.

·
Registered
296 Posts
you guys do remember that the entire available stock of 50GB BD blanks was sold long before Universal had to come over, right? I bet they would have otherwise done BD-50s...

·
Registered
4,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravy /forum/post/14311372

you guys do remember that the entire available stock of 50GB BD blanks was sold long before Universal had to come over, right? I bet they would have otherwise done BD-50s...

I don't know where you're getting your info from, but the "Mummy" films, "Doomsday", "Miami Vice", both "Heroes" sets, "Forgetting Sarah Marshall", "Knocked Up", and "The 40-Year Old Virgin" are all BD50s.

·
Registered
14,513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 /forum/post/14310147

Code:
Code:
Dawn of the Dead (2004): Unrated DC     VC-1    1:49:07 18,798,559,232* 21,870,225,636  22.97   18.94   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 24-bit No      DDPlus 5.1  448Kbps
Land of the Dead: Director's Cut        VC-1    1:36:43 14,307,549,184 ~14,624,761,713  19.72  ~17.13   DDPlus 5.1 1536Kbps     No
The Thing                               VC-1    1:48:35 14,438,524,928* 21,196,942,048  17.72   15.02   DDPlus 5.1 1536Kbps     No

Regarding The Thing, I'm not sure how much space a 5.1 DTS-MA track would take up, but it seems the video encode will be a port.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I bet they will reencode the video to fit the space of the disc. DTS-HD MA will only take up around 2.5Mbps if its 16bit and 4.8Mbps if its 24bit.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 /forum/post/14314032

I bet they will reencode the video to fit the space of the disc. DTS-HD MA will only take up around 2.5Mbps if its 16bit and 4.8Mbps if its 24bit.

I am perfectly fine even if Universal does a HD DVD port for these titles but lossless audio is a must.
Some members reported audio dropouts on Dawn of the Dead. I hope that similar problem doesn't pop up on the Blu-ray.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
these were all fabulous HD-DVD releases, ports plus DTS Master will make me happy because mine are long gone and I miss these movies

-Gary

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Looks like its the same transfer as the HD DVD (no surprise), though the review doesn't touch on that comparison. I sold my HD DVD of this when I sold the player, thought that version looked great, not ref PQ, but best version available of the movie anyway. Its not clear if the EE mentioned here goes beyond any that was present on the HD DVD (I dont recall any/much). Guess I need to read a few more takes before nabbing this one next week. Given Universal's latest efforts, its kinda sad when you're only hoping they at least stayed on par with the HD DVD version, never mind ENHANCING the disk, heh.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/34811/dawn-of-the-dead/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts