Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just three days ago, I got the new modell of the LS 110;

In a short summary, there will be differnces in the PQ like day and night between the old and the new one. I really couldn´t believe the improvements, when I saw them at the first time. Therefore I take the time to made another check with another new modell of the LS110 and an old modell

At first some technical details of the new modell

What has been changed – as InFocus says:

1. New software 3.3 which will release the the following points

- Interlaced computer modes will no longer “jitterâ€

- 576p, 1080i 50hz and interlaced digital signals Video Source will run without any problems

- smarter changing co the channels using a VCR tuner

What has been changed, which is not written down at InFocus

1. The RGBRGB color wheel has been modified – this has been usefull for the 576p 1080i signal @50Hz because it works great

2. The contrast ratio has been improved -> I think up to 900: 1 – YOU REALLY SEE IT

3. The blacklevel has become better – more dark

4. The handling of the “menue†will work

5. There must also some modifications in the videoboard – the sharpness has been increased and the noise of the picture is going down

All this modifacation will done at every new modell of the LS 110, which is shipping now worlwide.

Now I can say, to the see the picture of this pj, ist really a superb enjoyment.

I´m sorry, that my new digital camera will be shipped to me at least in two weeks, therefore I can not made any picture.

My testing equipment:

Upperclass DVD-Player

Professioniell component cable

Screen mattwhite from DA-Lite (gain 1.0)

DVD: THE FIRST CONTACT; THE 5TH. ELEMENT (Superbit); SHREK; TOY STORY 2; PEARL HARBOUR; STAR WARS I ;MATRIX and some test dvds, All these movies were used in 576i

The results

Jitter: OLD LS 110 some jitter / NEW LS110 still nothing

TEARING: OLD LS 110 sometimes/ NEW LS110 really less going to nothing

Blacklevel : OLD LS 110 not bad/ NEW LS110 much better

Contrast: OLD LS 110 600:1/ NEW LS110 I think up to 900:1

Artefacts: OLD LS 110 sometimes/ NEW LS110 nearly less

Noise of the Picture: OLD LS 110 sometimes/ NEW LS110 much less

Color saturation: OLD LS 110 okay/ NEW LS110 better

Differences in colors (especialy in blue): OLD LS 110 okay/ NEW LS110 better

display of the color: OLD LS 110 okay/ NEW LS110 better (more natural)

Impression of the Picture: OLD LS 110 okay/ NEW LS110 more to the movie

When you will send me or post some pictures from your pj from the movies I menetioned above, I can have look at the difference and post. When I got my camera, than I will do the same picture for comparison.

To all owner of the old LS110; I heavy recommend the update, because the modified colorwheel has primarily done for the PAL – community, to minimize the problems of 576i/p @ 50hz

To the owner of the toshiba modell

I will check up on tuesday (Monday will be a free day in the most parts of Europe), if the software-upgrade can also be made these modell. It looks it will go, but I want a confirmation

hb

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
@ hhelmut;

Did I understand you correctly that the difference between an “old†and a “new†LS110 is only the firmware upgrade? In this case there are no changes to the hardware, correct?

I had my LS110 today at the local authorized Infocus service center for that firmware upgrade (3.0 => 3.3) - I did not want to pay $50 for that special cable you need for the upgrade. They tried for some 45 min – unsuccessfully. They could not get the PC “talk†to the PJ and now have to check back with Infocus.

One other thing: with this PJ I also have problems focusing ALL areas of the screen – top and bottom. Set up: no keystone, ceiling mount, everything perpendicular – basically “just plain throwing against the wallâ€. So, I usually have to settle for some compromise. The tech guy was not sure if this normal either and will check back w/ Infocus as well.

Does anybody else experience similar technical issues? Please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ Axel

to the upgrade:

The difference between the new LS110 and the old LS110 will be

a)software - firmware 3.3,

b) also hardware - changed color-wheel and they must doen more , because the contrast improves really rapidly

your problems, you have describe with your LS110-> the unit is defective; take the warranty of InFocus and sent the unit for repairing or try to change

hb

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@ Axel

pardon me I just forget to answer

___________-

In this case there are no changes to the hardware, correct?

when you get an old LS110 - you can upgrade with the firmware.- just software no hardware. This what I know.

hb

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@ AceofAces

the update of the old LS110 will be a software-update. With the special cable, you can do on yourself or go to a TechCenter of inFocus

hb

·
Registered
315 Posts
Helmut,

Thanks for the update, but do you know for a fact that there was a hardware change or are you just assuming that due to what you see in the picture?

I ask only because it is very rare that a company would make a hardware change while at the same time not announce the changes publicly. Usually, I found that when a hardware change is made, they simply create a new model number so as not to create backlash from owners of the earlier version.

If you can authenticate that there are changes in the hardware I, and I'm sure many others would be greatly interested in knowing this.

I'll call the Tech Dept at Boxlight when they open on Monday and see what they know. So far I have found them to be far more knowledgeable regarding the LS110 / 12SF than even InFocus - go figure?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ AustinTexas

____________-

If you can authenticate that there are changes in the hardware I, and I'm sure many others would be greatly interested in knowing this.

Yes, I can; The color wheel is modified. This has be done for 576p at 50Hz to stopp the flickering; but this be done for the PAL-comunity;

When you see the dramatic improvemnet of the contrast - will be this only software? - I cannot believe, there must be also some other changes.

hb

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hhelmut,

can you give us more info? It would be also nice if you give us some good arguments why to change the old unit with the new one, because lots of us still have the PJ in warranty(I think everybody should have?).

Also if the Toshiba has the same changes??

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was wondering if Hhelmut could contribute with serial numbers for old and new 110`s as i`m thinking of purchasing one of these toys?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
hhelmut - you say the change is dramatic, so you think there must be a hardware change? But if the projector just had a problem in software with 576P at 50hz, it could easily just be a software fix.

How would they change the color wheel to improve a specific resolution? It sounds like more software to me.

Mike

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@ dan hemmingsen

I was wondering if Hhelmut could contribute....

the solution is simple - in our showroom we have had a two month old LS110 with the Software 3.0; For the serial number - send me an e-mail. Then we will see

@ mflaster

of course it is software too; and hardware. InFocus has optimiced ( size of the colorsegments) the color wheel for better picture quality at 576p @50Hz

and the really better contrastratio and less noise on the PQ - will be this only software?

hb

·
Registered
173 Posts
Is the picture quality also improved in 576i?? Or over s-video input??

What about the Toshiba??

Last but not least: Is there a big difference between s-video and Component imput?

THANK YOY Helmut

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@ goldplata

the PQ will also be improved at 576i;

you will see the differnce between S-VHS and Component input. IMO there is a significant difference

Toshiba: I just waiting getting in contact with the responsible person

hb

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just so I understand,

What I can tell from this thread is that the only thing for sure is that there is a recent firmware update - version 3.3, but that it is suspected that the color wheel is different and that the difference affects PAL video material only? And it is also suspected that there are some hardware changes as well but no one knows what those changes are?

As a 12SF owner I would certainly like to know how to confirm thses changes rather than rely on heresay. Does anyone know of a way to authenticate what is being suggested?

I've looked all over the web and spoke with tech support at Boxlight and other than the firmware update, they aren't aware of any hardware changes to the LS110.

I, and I am sure many others would love to get to the bottom of this mystery.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I just spoke to my local Infocus tech support. After checking the Infocus database he confirmed that Infocus made in fact hardware changes to the optical engine as well as the controller board. Those components are apparently not backwards compatible, meaning that once you change one component you will need to change the other one, too (as long as it’s covered under warranty I could not care less…). He could not find any indication that the change would bring an “improvement†over the “old†hardware. Well, it would be nice to try it out. Has anybody gotten a chance to compare an “old†LS110 with firmware 3.3 with a “new†one => hhelmut??

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@ Axel

As I know, these modification will useless just only for the PAl - 576i - community; There has been a sometimes problem showing 576i at 50Hz;

(please have a look at the beginning of the thread)

_______-

to compare an “old†LS110 with firmware 3.3 with a “new†one ...

_______

till today no chance, because in Germany, there have been replaced the old modells as I know - so also our old modell in the showroom

hb

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
hhelmut,

Do you happen to know what Infocus’ plans are for dealing with all those “old†units of the “PAL communityâ€? Will they upgrade under warranty? So far I have not tried out a PAL DVD (however will get one this week), so I have no feeling how “bad/good†the current setup is =>â€Night and Dayâ€. However I might be able to compare the differences between 3.0 and 3.3 as I will get the update later this week.

hhelmut, would you suggest to press Infocus for that hardware upgrade, once one intents to play PAL DVDs occasionally?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Can someone clear things up abit on if the hardware and software update are really for PAL? Does this help us in the states?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Helmut,

please can you confirm that all old models where changed in Germany. I bought one here in Spain, and I would like to change it also!!

Im would be so happy!!!

The problem is, that I have the Toshiba...

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.