AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
I was wondering when\\if a thread on this would be started.

I don't like the price but this is a beautiful movie.

Thin Red Line next!!!

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Hot damn!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
This is going to make it very difficult to decide what to do. So far all the reviews I have read say this blu is just amazing looking but I've watched this movie 3 times and each time it just gets more and more unappealing. I've tried so hard to like it but it just isn't happening. I even have Almendros' book A Man with a Camera (I've been a photojournalist for 35 years, love Edward Hopper-one of his visual influences for the film-and have a great love for cinematography) and reading the chapter dealing with shooting this film was so riveting (it was the first film to ever use the Panaglide prototype, basically Panavision's steadicam) it gave me a new appreciation for what went into shooting it. But the story line is just so sordid that it basically ends up being art for art's sake and boy even a snail moves faster than this film does. Even when it picks up toward the end, it only gets thoroughly depressing again. So it's quite a problem, for me anyway, buy a blu-ray that may be a jewell of the process but a movie that I may watch only once and never again. Oh well, it's only money.

·
Registered
11,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 /forum/post/18282820

This is going to make it very difficult to decide what to do. So far all the reviews I have read say this blu is just amazing looking but I've watched this movie 3 times and each time it just gets more and more unappealing. I've tried so hard to like it but it just isn't happening. I even have Almendros' book A Man with a Camera (I've been a photojournalist for 35 years, love Edward Hopper-one of his visual influences for the film-and have a great love for cinematography) and reading the chapter dealing with shooting this film was so riveting (it was the first film to ever use the Panaglide prototype, basically Panavision's steadicam) it gave me a new appreciation for what went into shooting it. But the story line is just so sordid that it basically ends up being art for art's sake and boy even a snail moves faster than this film does. Even when it picks up toward the end, it only gets thoroughly depressing again. So it's quite a problem, for me anyway, buy a blu-ray that may be a jewell of the process but a movie that I may watch only once and never again. Oh well, it's only money.

netflix....

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack /forum/post/18282923

netflix....

sadly, I think you are correct. of course my birthday is coming up and there's always christmas!

·
Registered
147 Posts
As a Malick fan, and this particular film is a favorite of mine, I'm wondering if this Blu-ray will be a significant improvement over the Criterion DVD, PQ or AQ wise, which I already have. Generally, Criterions DVD's were always done right with regard to picture and sound. http://www.criterion.com/current/pos...-striking-gold , sounds like it could be a real winner and a must buy for me. Up next, Yojimbo/Sanjuro from Criterion.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLTWS /forum/post/18283838

As a Malick fan, and this particular film is a favorite of mine, I'm wondering if this Blu-ray will be a significant improvement over the Criterion DVD, PQ or AQ wise, which I already have. Generally, Criterions DVD's were always done right with regard to picture and sound. http://www.criterion.com/current/pos...-striking-gold , sounds like it could be a real winner and a must buy for me. Up next, Yojimbo/Sanjuro from Criterion.

I think there is room for improvement over the SD DVD. While very good, the latter isn't one I necessarily put in to "show off" so to speak.

We'll see how accurate the review is though soon enough. You can always wait for feedback.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 /forum/post/18284662

I think there is room for improvement over the SD DVD. While very good, the latter isn't one I necessarily put in to "show off" so to speak.

We'll see how accurate the review is though soon enough. You can always wait for feedback.

Looking at the screencaps at DVDbeaver and Blu-ray.com, it looks like the same master(to my eyes at least).

Also, if you look close, there is some EE in the exact same spots as on the Criterion DVD.

However, the BD's colors and textures do look much more natural.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 /forum/post/18317422

I hope Badlands is not too far behind!

That would be great.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLTWS /forum/post/18283838

DVD Beaver has some caps up if you want to see comparison shots. I don't know if I'm interested in buying this movie but it looks absolutely gorgeous on BD.

·
Registered
147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation /forum/post/18364254

DVD Beaver has some caps up if you want to see comparison shots. I don't know if I'm interested in buying this movie but it looks absolutely gorgeous on BD.

Thanks for the heads up on DVD Beaver, finally added that site to my favs list. I have the Paramount and Criterion DVD's of Days of Heaven and in some of the screen caps a subtle increase in detail was discernable to me from the Criterion DVD to the Blu-ray. As I'm a Malick fan I'll probably give it a go but wait a while and see if Amazon offers a little lower price or a special.

Funny, after making my last post I watched it the next day and all extras. His films and the way he tells and visualizes his stories always leave me very satisfied with the experience. I can understand how they might not be everybodies cup of tea but then that's why Baskin Robbins offers 28 flavors.

The Yojimbo/Sanjuro caps showed me similar subtle enhancement and again I have the original Criterion and the Criterion reissue as well, c'mon Amazon, tempt me with an offer I can't refuse.

African Queen, no contest, the BRD rules.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is/was RAH's take:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/foru...ven-in-blu-ray

The audio killed this for me unfortunately. Nothing wrong with the voice over but the dialog on a large part of this film was too low and muffled with my equipment (OPPO BD80 and Pioneer 1019AH AVR).

Rather a shame considering great PQ leading me to hitting the pause button alot.

This was only a rental and I don't think I purchase it to tell the truth.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Watched this last night.

Was surprised at how much dynamic range the audio had, voices were a little soft, which leads to some very loud scenes like during the Fire, or during the opening when he's at the forgery/iron plant or whatever kind of metal plant that was.

The video was spectacular with the exception of EE, unfortunately, which was worst during silhouetted backlit shots, and there are a lot of those in this movie. It's not horrible EE, but I'd call it moderate, not necessarily a minor error unfortunately. It's the one thing that prevents this from being an entirely glorious visual presentation.

Still, the colors and presentation of the film was spectacular, generally very clean, grain was nicely preserved, nicely detailed and a wonderfully cinematic experience for this film. I didn't notice compression issues, the bitrate stayed pretty high the entire film.

I had never seen the film before on DVD or any other format, and I enjoyed it. I'm a fan of Malick's The Thin Red Line, and the style similarities were significant and kind of surprised me.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/18384039

The video was spectacular with the exception of EE, unfortunately, which was worst during silhouetted backlit shots, and there are a lot of those in this movie. It's not horrible EE, but I'd call it moderate, not necessarily a minor error unfortunately. It's the one thing that prevents this from being an entirely glorious visual presentation.

I was afraid of that.

The screenshots bring it out.

Quote:
I had never seen the film before on DVD or any other format, and I enjoyed it. I'm a fan of Malick's The Thin Red Line, and the style similarities were significant and kind of surprised me.

I have the Criterion DVD, but haven't watched it yet.

Also a big fan of The Thin Red Line (where is the BD?).

My NF BD copy arrived today....I'll look for the "style similarities" you mentioned.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts