AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are all of the soaps going off the air? Always thought they were cheap to produce and got good ratings. Y&R looks good in HD, but Days looks bad. Way to much bright contrast and glare. GH looks good too, as well as AMC but sorry to see it ending. But will B&B ever upgrade to HD? Seems to still be doing well and I thought in same studio as Y&R.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Bc the cost to produce a 1 hour talk show is cheaper. I think that I read here that only the Young and the Restless makes money, but Sony produces the show not CBS.

·
Registered
215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC /forum/post/20835500

Why are all of the soaps going off the air? Always thought they were cheap to produce and got good ratings. Y&R looks good in HD, but Days looks bad. Way to much bright contrast and glare. GH looks good too, as well as AMC but sorry to see it ending. But will B&B ever upgrade to HD? Seems to still be doing well and I thought in same studio as Y&R.

B&B is going HD in September, I've read. The soaps make money, but it is correct the networks make more money from talk/game/reality shows.

IMO - the networks, in trying to cut production costs on the soaps, made them worse, driving away more viewers (Guiding Light, for example).

I wonder if someone is going to fill the void when SoapNet dies in January.

You'd think that someone would try putting together a new soap channel getting soaps from other countires, England and Austrailia. I got hooked on Eastenders on BBC America before they took off most of the BBC programming in favor of Star Trek/Battlestar Galactica repeats.

·
Registered
8,289 Posts
The Bold and the Beautiful to go high-definition

Posted Sunday, May 24, 2009[?] 10:29:28 PM

by Dan J Kroll

The weekday broadcasts of The Bold and the Beautiful are about to get a little more beautiful and a whole lot bolder. B&B will begin broadcasting in high-definition later this summer.

The Bold and the Beautiful will become the latest soap to transition to high-definition. The 30-minute soap will make the leap to HD beginning in September, and the change means that all six of the soaps on the air will be broadcasting in a widescreen format.

"I'm not sure our cast members know this is happening yet," Bell mused as he revealed the show's plans in an interview with TVGuide.

B&B's conversion to the high-definition format comes a full decade after its sister soap, The Young and the Restless, made the switch. Y&R became the first soap to broadcast in HD in June 2001. It was another eight years before a second soap, ABC's General Hospital, made the investment to upgrade its studio to support a hi-def broadcast. All My Children went hi-def in early 2010 as part of the show's relocation to Los Angeles. Days of our Lives marked its 45th anniversary in November 2010 with an upgrade to HD.

One Life to Live began broadcasting in a 16x9 SD format in December 2010. While the upgrade isn't high-definition -- the SD stands for standard definition -- the broadcast does feature the familiar widescreen format.

According to industry figures, it costs several million dollars to upgrade a television studio with the new lighting, cameras, and other production equipment needed to broadcast in the enhanced video format.

The Bold and the Beautiful's first high-definition broadcast will air on September 7.

http://soapcentral.com/bb/news/2011/0720-hidef.php

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
If most soaps are HD by now, how many are shot 1080/60i, aka 1080i30,(like Y&R for a decade), versus 1080/24p (shot 24p, or 24pSF, and delivered with 2-3 pulldown? Anyone know? Some, of course, are delivered 720/60p. -- John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.