AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm dumping cable, going with the DTV PAL HD DVR, and thinking I won't have enough stuff to watch/record. I plan on recording one daytime soap to fill the void of not having 200 channels.

Is there anything on daytime TV that comes close to being as good as the 1980's Dallas or 1990's 90210 or prime time soaps? I prefer lots of beautiful half naked women. Looking at IMDB I notice that Vanessa Marcil was on a soap, but I am a too late. I would have liked to see her in a bathing suit jumping from bed to bed.

Looking at my local programming on the three networks, I get the following choices: Guiding Light, The Young and the Restless, The Bold and the Beautiful, All My Children, As The World Turns, Days Of Our Lives, One Life To Live, and General Hospital. Of those, the only one that the program guide indicates as HD is The Young and the Restless. There has to be more daytime HD than just 1 soap in 2009.

Is any of it good enough to get hooked on after a couple episodes? Or does my future hold reruns of Bonanza?

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
CBS's weekday "The Young and the Restless" has long been taped at 1080/60i versus other non-soap dramas filmed/taped/etc. at 24p. But heavy filtering and dim studio lighting for Y&R minimize the potential crispness and smoother motion seen in most documentaries/travelogues shot with 1080/60i video--60 'snapshots' per second (U.S)versus the more juddery 24 fps.

Y&R's or other soaps restricted motion in studios doesn't really maximize the benefits of higher capture rates, although at least one cinematographer commented that video 'realism' for soaps provides a desired "greater immediate connection" to characters versus a supposed exercise of imagination (filling in the blanks) from widely used 24-fps image capture. (Not a soap fan, but used Y&R years back for a cable/OTA delivered resolution comparison. And still looking forward to viewing more non-soap dramas being captured at 48, 60, or even higher frames/fields per second. Not for connection to characters but for smoother, judder-free motion and crisper images.) -- John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.