Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Dayton 12 inch.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=25&rak=daysub

Upon reading the manual, I get the impression that this sub is 150 watts peak and not RMS. Can this possibly be true? I was under the impression from everyone else's post that the this sub was 150w RMS.

The manual says: "It also utilizes a long throw 12" woofer and up to 150 watts of house shaking power."

"up to 150 watts" ... that sure sounds like peak to me.

Can anyone confirm, or hopefully overturn, my suspicions?

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
The initial marketing blurb on the website said 300w peak. I've looked since and it's not there. You might want to call PE and ask.

·
Registered
241 Posts
While this doesn't tell you anything exact, I looked at the pics of the amp on the website and it looks identical to the 150W amp that PE sells. So I'd expect that it is the same amp.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don't worry...it's not 150W peak. It is 150W RMS and 300W peak. The 10" Dayton uses a 100W RMS amp, and the 12" a 150W RMS amp. They eliminated the 300W peak figure in order to reduce confusion as to the actual power of the amp. (worked well huh? :D ) Besides, most audiophiles openly scoff at listed peak wattage figures anyway, claiming the manufacturer is trying to "inflate" it's perceived performance. As PE caters to a mostly audiophile type crowd, they probably decided the peak figure was not needed.

As far as the sub goes....How do you like it so far?

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo_Luxa
Don't worry...it's not 150W peak. It is 150W RMS and 300W peak. The 10" Dayton uses a 100W RMS amp, and the 12" a 150W RMS amp. They eliminated the 300W peak figure in order to reduce confusion as to the actual power of the amp. (worked well huh? :D ) Besides, most audiophiles openly scoff at listed peak wattage figures anyway, claiming the manufacturer is trying to "inflate" it's perceived performance. As PE caters to a mostly audiophile type crowd, they probably decided the peak figure was not needed.

I agree, since there are no set standards for this measurement. See Ed Mullens comment on this subject on my inconsistency in amplifier ratings thread.

Ian ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm definately liking my sub. It's an absolute monster at movies and pretty decent for music too. There's no way in hell that this thing is 150w peak, lol! I should have waited until it was hooked up before I started this thread.

Honestly, I'm scared to think how crazy an SVS would be in my room if my Dayton 12 already knocks my socks off.

Anyways, here's my impressions of the Dayton 12 thus far:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=568442&page=2

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.