AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I modeled the 15" reference with Win ISD and it looks pretty attractive with a F3 of 30 Hz (.71Q) in a 5.4 cu ft sealed box, so slightly less than a 24" /side cube.

My question is what minimum power would be required to reach full excursion at 20 Hz?

The program that Adire gave out for their drivers ( I am using Tempests in my IB array) graphed excursion so you could model it, but the program I have does not.

Thanks.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsabato /forum/post/15515620

I modeled the 15" reference with Win ISD and it looks pretty attractive with a F3 of 30 Hz (.71Q) in a 5.4 cu ft sealed box, so slightly less than a 24" /side cube.

My question is what minimum power would be required to reach full excursion at 20 Hz?

The program that Adire gave out for their drivers ( I am using Tempests in my IB array) graphed excursion so you could model it, but the program I have does not.

Thanks.

under the selection "maximum power"...200 watts is what i am getting for that driver. that's the number you should work with when spec'ing an amp. you can confirm this by entering 200 watts as the power figure and then checking driver excusion. you will see that it hits xmax at 200 watts at 20hz.

it gets a little hairy calculating what the actual power draw will be because the impedance is not at its minimum at 20hz, so the actual power draw will be less than 200 watts, which is good, but the voltage requirement will be the same.

edit: and to hit xmax at 40hz, you will need 600 watts. eventually, you will be limited by the thermal capacity of the driver, at which point that governs the limit.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
jgsabato, make sure you're using WinISD Pro Alpha...the basic WinISD doesn't do excursion and power handling simulations, IIRC. Pro will model max power to reach Xmax, as well as letting you specify input power to see excursion, port air velocity if you go ported, impedance, group delay, and more.

-Brent

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I've been doing some modeling with Win ISD pro and it seems like the Dayton RSS390HF has the really good characteristics in terms of it's FR and distortion.

Are there any other drivers that exhibit similar or better characteristics regardless of price?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts