AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are these subs. How doe this sub compare to hsu vtf3.3 or svs pb12. Looking for that hit you in the chest bass for movies.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
I believe its certain type of frequencies that hit you in the chest and the others just produce feel in the stomach vibrate the chair or sofa. It's late now for playing around with subs hath to wait till daytime. Get yourself two of these save up and buy two.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How low do these subs go. I have heard many ported subs for movies, but I have never heard what a sealed sub can do for movie watching. Need more info on the kit.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
If you used a massive enclosure for a ported sub, it is possible to see as much as a 12dB output advantage at the tuning frequency, however, ported subs of this size use drivers with much less displacement due to the complications of porting a high output, deeply tuned woofer in a small box without passive radiators.

I have heard complaints of (and models will back this up) the titanic kit often times yielding boomey, one note bass due to its high qts/fs in the small box. If you were to use a Behringer feedback destroyer to bring the low end up, you could correct this. Another option would be the marchland bassis, but they are much more money. All in all, its a solid kit, but you are really paying a lot for the amp, a MFW-15 would have less output in the upper registers due to less amp power, but would have more output down low from the porting and larger box. In my opinion, the MFW is a better buy between that, the lack of need for BFD to get a flat response (anechoicly at least) and the far better build quality and finish options.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I've been wondering about the same sub. There are 18 reviews on the website. Read through them all and it will give you a decent idea of what this thing can do.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...065251#reviews

It's about to go on sale (aug. 1st) for $619 shipped. I was thinking about getting another elemental designs sub but their prices have increased, and this thing is going on sale so I might pull the trigger on one of these.

If anybody has any first hand experience with this sub (or the 12" version) I'd really appreciate a PM with your thoughts. Thanks

·
Registered
400 Posts
Funny, I was looking at that kit and wondering how it compared to the mfw-15 just this morning. I use my system 65% for movies and 35% for games almost never for music. And I need it to blend in well and provide wide frequencys to back up my in wall speakers, which are a little perhaps on the light side. Would this kit or the mfw 15 be better for me. I don't have any real complaints with my bic h-100 it sounds and hits good, but I wouldn't mind some more power.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by my65ffrcobra /forum/post/14401717

Funny, I was looking at that kit and wondering how it compared to the mfw-15 just this morning. I use my system 65% for movies and 35% for games almost never for music. And I need it to blend in well and provide wide frequencys to back up my in wall speakers, which are a little perhaps on the light side. Would this kit or the mfw 15 be better for me. I don't have any real complaints with my bic h-100 it sounds and hits good, but I wouldn't mind some more power.

I've read this is a good sub for movies. The main complaint I've read is re: the cabinet. The amp and the driver are solid. Audioholics did a review. It looks like it goes down to 20 Hz or so, but has a weird dip around 38 Hz.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...titanic-mk-iii

I, too, wondered about this guy vs. the MFW 15. I have one en route. (X-mas present to me!) I'll see how it does with Transformers, Hot Fuzz, Cloverfield, "The 1812 Overture" plus some pipe organ music next week!

I bet two of these in one of Neo Dan's coffee table sub cabinets might hit as low as 12 Hz.

·
Registered
44 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I was at the Parts Express in Springfield OH and heard this sub in thier showroom. First I would like to give a little of back ground. I currently have an MK MX105 and a Paradigm DSP-3400. I was not all that impressed with the Dayton. Had good output but sounded boomy and did have much punch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts