AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the planning stages of my HT setup

My HT room will be about 15'x20'

I'm on a limited budget so I need a good speaker design that will not break the bank

I was looking at building either the Dayton III's or possibly the Dayton 8's

I have never heard either, but I have heard my friends Audax MTM HT speakers which he said are close to the dayton III's in performance, and they sound awesome. So if the D3's are close to the Audax HT MTM's I'd be tickled pink.

if I go with the D3's i'll probably need a Sub, because I don't remember them having enough bass for a 15'x20 HT room

So my question is would the Dayton 8's sound as good as the D3's and give enough bass to avoid building a dedicated Sub?

·
Registered
723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdale44 /forum/post/18230427

I'm in the planning stages of my HT setup

My HT room will be about 15'x20'

I'm on a limited budget so I need a good speaker design that will not break the bank

I was looking at building either the Dayton III's or possibly the Dayton 8's

I have never heard either, but I have heard my friends Audax MTM HT speakers which he said are close to the dayton III's in performance, and they sound awesome. So if the D3's are close to the Audax HT MTM's I'd be tickled pink.

if I go with the D3's i'll probably need a Sub, because I don't remember them having enough bass for a 15'x20 HT room

So my question is would the Dayton 8's sound as good as the D3's and give enough bass to avoid building a dedicated Sub?

I'm not familiar with either speaker, but i can tell you that the only speakers i've ever read about that were truly able to perform HT duties without a dedicated sub had 10 and 12" drivers in addition to the midbass and tweeters, they were also usually being powered by 250w+ per channel via seperate amps, etc, and were usually several thousand dollars per tower.

The reality is, even with a relatively cheap dedicated sub (~$250) you will get far better performance out of a system with it crossed over to the sub.

There are multiple reasons for this. For example, my Klipsch with 6.5" drivers are rated down to 38hz. They can produce that frequency, but certainly with nothing even resembling authority. If i had you listen to my setup with and without my sub, which was $350, you would be astonished at the difference. Think of if you've ever heard a *normal* singer sing a certain note, and then have an accomplished opera singer sing the same note. Yes, they're both producing the same frequency, but the opera singer does it with more authority and as a result it sounds vastly better.

The reality is with speakers, its like engines, there is no replacement for displacement ;-). In the bass area, a larger speaker will simply move more air, and perform better with lower frequencies.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Since you are looking at the DIII's this may be a good option for you.

Buy two sets of these. Very similar to DIII's just 5.5 drivers instead. It won't matter because you really are going to want a sub anyway for HT.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-700

Build Front Left/Right and Center in MTM sealed configuration.

Here are the plans.
http://speakerdesignworks.com/Tritrix_pg_1.html

With the extra driver and parts you have left, you can buy 1 tweeter and a couple crossover components and build two Tritrix MT's for surround.
http://speakerdesignworks.com/TritrixMT_pg_1.html

Then whatever you have left in the budget, use for the best sub you can buy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrimnir /forum/post/18230769

I'm not familiar with either speaker, but i can tell you that the only speakers i've ever read about that were truly able to perform HT duties without a dedicated sub had 10 and 12" drivers in addition to the midbass and tweeters, they were also usually being powered by 250w+ per channel via seperate amps, etc, and were usually several thousand dollars per tower.

The reality is, even with a relatively cheap dedicated sub (~$250) you will get far better performance out of a system with it crossed over to the sub.

There are multiple reasons for this. For example, my Klipsch with 6.5" drivers are rated down to 38hz. They can produce that frequency, but certainly with nothing even resembling authority. If i had you listen to my setup with and without my sub, which was $350, you would be astonished at the difference. Think of if you've ever heard a *normal* singer sing a certain note, and then have an accomplished opera singer sing the same note. Yes, they're both producing the same frequency, but the opera singer does it with more authority and as a result it sounds vastly better.

The reality is with speakers, its like engines, there is no replacement for displacement ;-). In the bass area, a larger speaker will simply move more air, and perform better with lower frequencies.

Your probably right, I don't want to cut corners and end up regretting my decision. Any suggestions for a low cost Sub? I was thinking about a sonotube because they look easy to build and I already have a router and circle jig

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettore /forum/post/18230953

Since you are looking at the DIII's this may be a good option for you.

Buy two sets of these. Very similar to DIII's just 5.5 drivers instead. It won't matter because you really are going to want a sub anyway for HT.

Then whatever you have left in the budget, use for the best sub you can buy.

Thanks for the link, that looks like a very good option.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I am currently using the DIII as a center channel and a pair of DII's as my left and right speakers. They sound excellent. I've heard the D8 has a little better midrange and is a lot more sensitive. It's all about how much space you are willing to give up.

That said, I'm also working on the MTM version of the Dayton Home Theater - http://web.archive.org/web/200305061...Y/DHT/DHT.html . I have the parts and somewhere I have a print-out of that link with the crossover design. I occasionally post at PE's board in the hopes that Sanaka will see it and give me the diagrams. If I ever get to finish them, I am going for a tall, slender design like the DefTech speakers. Same with the center except it will mount horizontally at the bottom of my screen. I've heard the MT version of the DHT and the vocals are better than the DIII.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts