AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read countless reviews of the Dayton Audio SUB-120, but nothing on the newer SUB-1200. Does anybody have any experience with this speaker?

As a back ground. I recently moved and had to "downgrade" my speakers to something smaller. Currently, a have a Onkyo TX-SR674 AVR, Mirage Uni-Theater for the Left/Right/Center and a pair of Mirage Nanosats for the rear. I spent the majority of my current budget on the speakers, leaving $150 or so for a subwoofer. Eventually, what ever subwoofer I buy at this point will move to my 2-channel set-up in my bedroom, and I will buy a higher performance subwoofer to replace it.

For now, the Dayton SUB-1200 is tops on my list. I've used Dayton products in my car audio projects with great success. Just looking for some feedback on this particular sub.

Thanks in advance?

-Seth

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bueller? Bueller?

Doesn't have to be the SUB-1200. Any feed back on any of the new Dayton Subs (SUB-800, SUB-1000, SUB-1200) would be greatly appreciated. Even just pointing me to a review (that isn't already on parts-express).

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Since the 1200 is very new (not in PE catalog this past Christmas), you may wait for 6+ months for a reasonably objective review.

About eighteen months ago, someone asked a similar question about the Premier Acoustics PA-150. It was over a year before an objective (quite positive) review came out. Check Josh Ricci's review at www.data-bass.com .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was sort of guessing there might not be any reviews of Dayton's newest subwoofers. I might just bite the bullet, buy one, and be the first to report.

Thanks for the link! I will definitely book mark it and use it when it comes down to getting really serious about the subwoofer in my main listening/home theater room.

-Seth

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ordered the Sub-1200 on Friday. Should be here late this week. I will document as much as I can and report.

Is there a Dayton Audio subwoofer owners thread already started that I just can't seem to find?

-Seth

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamsv /forum/post/21498153

Ordered the Sub-1200 on Friday. Should be here late this week. I will document as much as I can and report.

Let us know what you think of it. I was actually going to pick one of those up -- or the Sub 1000 -- and do a review myself, but now you've saved me the trouble...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sub arrived yesterday. Fed-Ed dropped it off at my back door. With a high of -10 yesterday, the sub was FROZEN when I finally got it inside. I am going to let it come up to room temperature before I hook it up. For now, just visiual observations.

The finish is a black texture. Personally, I like it better than fake black ash. The corners have a radious instead of sharp edges. The grille is a wooden ring with velcro. When installed, it sits flush with the face of the box. It is a PAIN to remove. But, it should stay in place no matter how hard you are pushing the sub. Has some cheap plastic feet, but they should fit the bill. The port is flared and down ward firing.

Fit and finish is pretty good. The texture finish is uniform. The curved edges are a nice touch. The velcro strips are stapled on the box. Not the best looking method, but unless the grill is removed, you won't see that.

All in all, I think it is decent looking sub. Will start listening to it tonight.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I'm interested in how it performs myself. It could be a nice recommendation for non audiophile friends looking to upgrade their systems a bit.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamsv /forum/post/21516647

The sub arrived yesterday. Fed-Ed dropped it off at my back door. With a high of -10 yesterday, the sub was FROZEN when I finally got it inside.

I thought only penguins live in the Antarctic!

·
Registered
112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamsv /forum/post/21516647

The sub arrived yesterday. Fed-Ed dropped it off at my back door. With a high of -10 yesterday, the sub was FROZEN when I finally got it inside. I am going to let it come up to room temperature before I hook it up. For now, just visiual observations.

Suggestion: If you get any electronic gear that is that cold, when

you bring it into your home, leave it in the unopened box! The

last thing you want is to expose frigid surfaces to the warm,

much-more-humid indoor air. The water will start condensing

onto the cold surfaces... maybe not much of a problem for the

cabinet... but what happens if warm air gets around the electronics?

Water and circuit boards don't mix.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I put it in the garage to slowly get adjusted to the air. It finally made it to my living room the next night.

Will give the sub my full attention this weekend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Initial listen: did the sub crawl this morning. Of course, it sounded best in the one position I hoped it wouldn't. Had to spend the new few hours running cable under the house to hook it up.

I am heading out for the day. I am going to run music threw it all afternoon/evening to start the break in. Just on the few songs and TV scenes I listened/watched, I'm happy with the sub. Punchy, clean, plays decently deep, blends well with my Mirage speakers. On the pop/country that I mostly listen to, it sounds good so far. My favorite comment from my significant other so far: "I didn't know there was bass in commercials."

Have football games and a couple movie to watch tomorrow. Full review coming soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Review time!

I have spent a fair amount of time with this subwoofer. Here is my review so far.

Music: I listen to mostly rap/alternative and some country. So, take my obseravations with a grain of salt. I really enjoy how this subwoofer plays the lows in all the music I put through it. Beefy is how I describe it. Is it accurate? Probably not, but the music I listen to mostly, accuracy isn't formost in the producers mind. Other than some DJ Magic Mike, no frequencies were missed in any songs I played. I was also pleasantly surprised how well the sub blends with my Mirage speakers. I wasn't expecting the 12" sub to play as well as it does up to 100hz. Granted, my old Polk 8" subwoofer blended better with like sized speakers. But I will take the trade-off of deeper, more impactful bass over a perfect blend. Just my preference.

Movies: Couldn't be happier. I don't own copies of the movies most people refer to when reviewing thier subwoofer (U-571, Lord of the Rings, etc). I ran the sub through its paces with "Quantam Solice" on the action side, and "Dazed and Confused" on the light hearted side. Q.S. sounded fantastic. Explosions, gun shots, crashing planes and cars. All had the impact that makes a staying home to watch a movie an absolute joy. The impact of a 12" subwoofer just can't be beat. Couch vibrates, chest tingles. Why "Dazed and Confused"? For the sound track, of course! The music just can't be beat. Just like with regular music, kick drums and bass guitars came out clear and forceful. Definitely heightened my joy when watching this gem.

Faults: I find the auto-on not sensative enough. I found a couple times I had to turn up the volume on my reciever to get the sub to turn on. Marginally annoying. If you have a significant other that hates big black boxes? Look else where. Though, not as big as some subs, it really is a big black box.

All in all, I think this sub is a great deal at $150 shipped or so. I couldn't be happier with its sound and overall performance.

Feel free to ask me any quesitons.

-Seth

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,892 Posts
Nice review Seth. Guess we have a thread now to point people at who are looking for one of those subs. Saves me from reviewing it as well...

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
If this sub can measure a bit better than the Bic F-12, I'm getting it for my second room. Seems to be the best bang for the buck right now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I asked several of the technicians at parts-express and they all told me that the components are basically the same. Only real difference is looks.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manischewitz /forum/post/21698229

I asked several of the technicians at parts-express and they all told me that the components are basically the same. Only real difference is looks.

The driver and the amp are different, so I'm not sure what components the techs consider the same. It would also be a bit odd for Parts Express to make two different models using equivalent parts, yet charge about 30% more for the 1200.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
IMO the 1200 and BIC F12 are outstanding budget second subs. They are great to recommend to friends and to use in a room that isn't your main HT, but once you hear subs that hit flat under 20hz you can never go back.

1 - 20 of 195 Posts