AVS Forum banner

1121 - 1140 of 1165 Posts

·
Registered
21,319 Posts
fwiw, 12 cubes at 16hz 1 watt um18 (dark grn) vs. uxl18. (upper end inductance effects will probably bring down spl a bit).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
I noticed no difference between the two. I never pushed to the breaking point but at 116dbs they sounded the same . the uxl in a small ported cab crushes the si18.
Unless one has a lot more THD then the other one I don't think you would hear a difference, until they are truly pushed to there max.

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
fwiw, 12 cubes at 16hz 1 watt um18 (dark grn) vs. uxl18. (upper end inductance effects will probably bring down spl a bit).

John is this graph with both drivers getting 2000watts?

***edit***

Just saw your comment about 1watt, can the UM18-22 even take 2000watts? I know the UXL-18 can.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
I would only buy a uxl18 or pricy driver if I was limited to one or two subs in a large room and needed all that power . I thought a year ago two subs was my max . how dumb I was now that I have four.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
A UM18-22 can take the full output of a single channel of the iNuke DSP 6000 for typical home theater use - for whatever that's worth - should be at least 1,800 watts. I've driven my iNuke DSP 6000 amps to my UM18-22's to the max quite a few times with no ill effect. My boxes are 21" cubes (sealed). Likewise a single UM18-22 is powered by a bridged iNuke DSP 3000 in my room and works fine.
I used to run two drivers per channel, but impedance issues were troublesome when I turned it up for show off volumes. Now I just run one sub per channel.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
FWIW...
Over a year ago I did compression tests between the SI18 vs FTW21 to see what I'd get as results.
Don't forget I own both...

Conclusion:
There's no 3DB difference between the FTW21 and SI18...in fact the SI18's performed extremely well against to the FTW21's.
And this is with almost HALF the power being sent to the SI18's :eek:

Graph:
Red 2x FTW21's one per corner 2100Watts per sub
Blue 2x SI18's one per corner on top of the 21's 1250Watts per sub.
Mic starting clipping @117DB
Results: (Forget about the green graph)

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
FWIW...
Over a year ago I did compression tests between the SI18 vs FTW21 to see what I'd get as results.
Don't forget I own both...

Conclusion:
There's no 3DB difference between the FTW21 and SI18...in fact the SI18's performed extremely well against to the FTW21's.
And this is with almost HALF the power being sent to the SI18's :eek:

Graph:
Red 2x FTW21's one per corner 2100Watts per sub
Blue 2x SI18's one per corner on top of the 21's 1250Watts per sub.
Mic starting clipping @117DB
Results: (Forget about the green graph)

Interesting indeed. Nice room gain at 6.5hz!

·
Registered
7,888 Posts
So cheating out and using the 4cube PE cab on these is just leaving too much on the table, heh?

James

·
Registered
7,888 Posts
I love that Edge of Tomorrow first scene. So glad they did that! Epic!
ha ha- yep, I finally got around to watching...I mean FEELING it and it was absolutely ridiculous...even at -10 on the dial.

James

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
So cheating out and using the 4cube PE cab on these is just leaving too much on the table, heh?

James

Hmm? For a sealed design, 1800W can push the UM18 to 24mm excursion in 4 cuft. Theoretically, you could go a little bigger for better efficiency, but I wouldn't have any regrets about 4 cuft.

·
Registered
7,888 Posts
Unless I am ill-informed, it is best to always try to use both coils in a dual voice coil sub for greater power handling/heat dispersion??? So if that's the case, if I'm going to put two of these in a cab I'm pretty much limited to a 2 or 8 ohm impedance, total per cab, correct?

Thanks
James

·
Registered
7,888 Posts
It's dual 2 ohm, so you can configure for 1 ohm or 4 ohm.
Right- so then 2 or 8 ohms for a cabinet with duals?

Thanks
James

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Reading comprehension fail on my part. :) Correct.

What amp are you going to use? You could run both channels of an NU6000 to that one box. Can't bridge that amp, so you'd have to use a four-conductor cable, and wouldn't need to wire the UM18s to each other, just to a four-pole speakon connector.

·
Registered
7,888 Posts
Reading comprehension fail on my part. :) Correct.

What amp are you going to use? You could run both channels of an NU6000 to that one box. Can't bridge that amp, so you'd have to use a four-conductor cable, and wouldn't need to wire the UM18s to each other, just to a four-pole speakon connector.
It's alright. :)

I have a Crown XTI 4002. Even though I've ran it fine with 1600W'sx2 @ 2 OHMS I would prolly just get a second and run one bridged (2400W's) for each 8 ohm cab.

I considered upping to a 6002 with 3,000 x 2 @ 2 ohms but the above just strikes me as a better idea: certainly an easier load to push and a pretty-much negligible 600 watt difference at these output levels.

James

·
Registered
189 Posts

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
Josh should contact us via the Dayton Audio web site if he is still interested in reviewing a driver. We're easy to find.

@DaytonAudioRory
@Ricci

http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/39-dayton-audio-um18-22-18-ultimax-dvc-subwoofer/

Can we get an update on this testing opportunity? It seems like Ricci is making legitimate attempts to reach out to Dayton Audio. His tests would likely be very good to drive sales, and it's very inexpensive marketing for Parts Express.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Just figured I'd chime in.

I built mine over the weekend, using the Parts Express flat pack. Absolutely amazing sub for sure. Thing takes quite a bit to get it moving, but once you reach that point it goes nuts. Still working on getting it set up exactly how I want it, but so far I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I was just on the Data-Bass Forum and Josh Ricci said that he's received a UM18 to test! Looks like the answers will be forthcoming sometime this Spring.
I'm expecting pretty good numbers out of it, after hearing one in my own basement. These things are monsters. :eek:

1121 - 1140 of 1165 Posts