AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2305 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like Dayton has made the move to come up with a very simple system for measuring, with a calibrated usb mic.


Seeing as I haven't had the best luck with REW on the hardware side I'm going to pick one of these up when they become avail. but it looks promising & simple from what I can see. Kal Rubinson stated he'll be getting one, I would imagine to put up against the XTZ unit.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=390-790
http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/390-790b.pdf
User info / Manual - pdf download


Online Comprehensive Manual - http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/OmniMic/index.htm



Dayton OmniMic Precision Measurement System - Description Dayton Audio's OmniMic is a must-have for system integrators, acoustic engineers, and A/V installers. It was developed in collaboration with Liberty Instruments, inventors of the Praxis analysis tool. The OmniMic provides quick and accurate measurements that will reduce installation time, saving you both labor and money. Test signals may be initiated from the host computer, or from any audio CD player. System includes calibrated USB microphone, mic clip, software and test signal discs, 6 ft. USB cable, and carrying case. Compatible with Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7.
  • Extremely quick and easy to use with intuitive software—open the box, start testing in minutes
  • High quality calibrated USB microphone for accurate measurements
  • Developed in collaboration with Liberty Instruments, inventors of the Praxis Measurement System
  • Perfect for setting up home theater systems
  • Design and tune speaker systems and arrays
  • Optimized for use with Netbooks and Laptop computers to enhance portability
  • Compact, portable, accurate, affordable
  • For professionals and hobbyists
  • Compatible with Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7
Acoustic Measurements Just Got Easier!
Measurements include:
  • SPL meter with A, B, C, or no weighting
  • Spectrum analyzer, FFT, or RTA
  • Frequency response with phase and impulse response
  • Oscilloscope function to view complex waveforms
  • Harmonic distortion: 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th harmonics plus THD
  • RT60 reverberation: measures sound reflection
  • Bass decay function identifies room modes and helps determine proper subwoofer placement

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,343 Posts
$300 ouch.



How much for a bare mic with no software?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah its not the cheapest out there, I'm going to see how it goes through its paces, but I really like the ease and simplicity of what they are putting together here.... I can't say that with all the investment I have in my gear that it'll make or break me at this point...



We'll see how it pans out...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv /forum/post/19553527


Yeah its not the cheapest out there, I'm going to see how it goes through its paces, but I really like the ease and simplicity of what they are putting together here.... I can't say that with all the investment I have in my gear that it'll make or break me at this point...



We'll see how it pans out...

I think it's a great find, Warp. Thanks for the heads up.


$300 is a relatively small investment to get reasonably accurate data vs what we usually see passing for measurements using a stock POS sound card and the RS meter with cal file.


I have $2k invested in a mic/mic pre/power supply, cables and interface. Had I not made that investment 7 years ago, I'd still be in the dark about most of what happens at the LP.


I hope you'll start a thread and I'm looking forward to your comments.


Bosso
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed, buddy..... I bought the Galaxy CM-140 and the Behringer UCAC-202 USB thing and could never get it working right in REW.


I have been pretty thankful to have Nuance bring his setup over and help me out with measurements, but I really need to get something else working for me....


The only thing I know It likely won't do is loop through measurements for adjusting gear without the transducers hooked up, but oh well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,799 Posts
No discount for wholesale customers
 

·
RETIRED theater builder
Joined
·
35,451 Posts
I'm tempted, so I signed up to be notified. Looking forward to early adopter reviews.


Does anybody have feedback on Liberty Audio and their Praxis Measurement System. Specifically satisfaction with results, user support and available software updates?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
I can't wait to hear more from the early adopters. Do you think this software will make mic'd waterfall graphs? The mic should be compatible with other software right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv /forum/post/19553848


Agreed, buddy..... I bought the Galaxy CM-140 and the Behringer UCAC-202 USB thing and could never get it working right in REW.


I have been pretty thankful to have Nuance bring his setup over and help me out with measurements, but I really need to get something else working for me....


The only thing I know It likely won't do is loop through measurements for adjusting gear without the transducers hooked up, but oh well

Did you ever try HOLM?


I agree with the simplicity of getting something working. I would be concerned with its accuracy, is there a calibration file matching each mic?


I think it also comes with SPL measurement ability so that is a plus! To get accurate measurements + SPL still costs us $200 or so and we still have to get the freeware running ( HOLM, REW, ARTA).


$100 difference goes a long way if its easy and and very accurate.


I thought it was steep at $300 when discussing it a week ago but now Im thinking for some it might be great. I still have great success with REW, HOLM and ARTA though so Im fairly happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul /forum/post/19554915


I can't wait to hear more from the early adopters. Do you think this software will make mic'd waterfall graphs? The mic should be compatible with other software right?

If the impulse can be saved then we can import that file into ARTA or other products to produce CSDs, etc all we want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/19554965


Did you ever try HOLM?


I agree with the simplicity of getting something working. I would be concerned with its accuracy, is there a calibration file matching each mic?


I think it also comes with SPL measurement ability so that is a plus! To get accurate measurements + SPL still costs us $200 or so and we still have to get the freeware running ( HOLM, REW, ARTA).


$100 difference goes a long way if its easy and and very accurate.


I thought it was steep at $300 when discussing it a week ago but now Im thinking for some it might be great. I still have great success with REW, HOLM and ARTA though so Im fairly happy.


I never tried anything really.... I haven't had a huge need to measure stuff much aside from getting things going and then its pretty much been a set it and forget it for me.... Once I'm setup i don't change things out very often. If I'm going to make a change its usually planned out well in advance and then after all is in place, its time to measure...
thats where Nuance came into the picture - thanks buddy...


But I agree - at first look it seems on the expensive side, but think about it, hook up a USB mic, run a 1/8 headphone jack/RCA to the preamp/receiver, open the program and off you go... Praxxis has been around for a while, from what I vaguely recall, and Dayton certainly has been in the game long enough - so hopefully the software will be what the price is all about, the rest is just an added benefit....


I have to say that Anthems usb mic is fairly simple to implement for ARC measurements...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,838 Posts
This thing appears real attractive to me. And I, like everyone, would like to know exactly how flat and extended this system is. For context, Earthworks mid line, $600 mics, roll off at about 10hz, so I'm curious about these.


I like the timing since I was contemplating the XTC system. I just want to know the thing is accurate, even cal file corrected, I just want to know exactly what's going on. I mean if you're going to measure, what's the point unless the entire measurement chain is an absolute known quantity.


Seems as if I read so many threads, in various forums, with submitted charts and graphs, whereby there is data may be suspect due to system response, bad cal file, etc. I want to assemble measurement system that enables me to know exactly what's going on with a high level of certainty.


Nice product, I'm interested.


Can't find too much detailed info yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts
Someone needs to buy it and compare. It won't be me right now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This unit was on display at Cedia, Mark Seaton saw it there and was the one who told me about it when I was down at his place picking up my Submersive. He seemed to think it would be a worthwhile investment for its simplistic nature and ease of use... Maybe he can chime in on what they had said about


I also got some info from Parts Express sent to me, they mailed it to me, so I would likely have to scan it, I haven't taken much time to look at it....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,125 Posts
I highly recommend this product. Bill put a lot of time and effort into the design and there is really nothing like this for this price. Its extremely easy to use so even for a total beginner that just wants to be able to accurately measure his/her system, its an easy choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soho54
$300 ouch.



How much for a bare mic with no software?
At least $100-200 with necessary calibration.
 
1 - 20 of 2305 Posts
Top