AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Typically you want everything to sound balanced, but of course, everyone will have their own preferences. I have my sub slightly higher, but it is also tuned to 23Hz and can hit much lower. When listening to music or watching movies, I don't want the sub to be more noticeable than any other speaker, I want everything to blend smoothly. Try setting it then do some listening tests , then try different settings and finally set it to the one that sounded best to your ears.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransientDreamer /forum/post/18290510

Sorry for the newbie question, but typically, are the DB settings higher on the subwoofer or on the speakers?

Thanks

Calibrate all speakers and the sub to 75 dB SPL using either the AVR's built in auto calibration system or do it manually using something like the Radio Shack SPL meter. Listen to it for a while. Then make any level adjustments you feel necessary.

·
Registered
137 Posts
would agree on the 75 to 80 DB level for a good level,,

read and heard from others the sub can be a few DB higher,, have tried it and really could not tell any different,,

as you will read an SPL meter is a most valuable tool to have for setting up your system, especially the sub and to determine if there are any holes in the curve,,

Derry

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
For a flat calibration, speakers at 75 db and sub(s) at 72-73 db.

Bill

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 /forum/post/18292814

For a flat calibration, speakers at 75 db and sub(s) at 72-73 db.

Bill

That's funny. Clearly that's not flat. Flat is 75 dB on everything.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaufman /forum/post/18299010

That's funny. Clearly that's not flat. Flat is 75 dB on everything.

Bosko is taking into account the SPL meter compensation for low frequencies.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Ah well, that's going to depend on the meter isn't it?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaufman /forum/post/18299189

Ah well, that's going to depend on the meter isn't it?

The RS SPL meter, which is by far the most popular used, is 2-3dB off on the sub frequencies, so bsoko's advice is right on for a vast majority of people.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts