AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
The "problem" has nothing to do with DBStalk, other than DBStalk had some suggestions that were none-too-appreciated by the not-amused moderators at DBSforums.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It WAS hackers from Brazil and Indonesia according to the Site Admin.

The site is now up and running, with NO important data lost.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Don't discount the possibility that the hacker(s?) is(are?) much closer. Proxy servers can spoof virtually any location in the world. It's possible some bozo with nothing better to do uses his computer or a laptop in a remote location and a cell phone dial-up connection to stir up trouble. Unfortunately the very openness of the internet has spawned an outlet for the insideous nature of some sickos that used to lie dormant for lack of opportunity.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What always gets me is: Why do they waste time on some web sites. Nobody is going to get Media coverage for Hacking one of these Forums.

It seems to me that whoever did this is an Amateur, perhaps practicing out of the mainstream sites before trying to move up to the big time.

Still, it all seems like a waste of their time as well as ours. It's equivalent to Spamming a Yahoo E-Maill address. I know that I can move everything I've got that's worthwhile in minutes, probably quicker than they can set up the Spam.

Pointless..........

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
There may be an infantile revenge aspect at work. And, no, that is NOT an indictment of one site against another. The perpetrator, probaby an individual, may be seeking vengence against another individual by attacking a site or sites which that individual participates on - particularly if the site or sites require registration to participate on. Since the perpetrator wouldn't dare expose himself to identification and possible prosecution by registering, he slinks to the lowest possible level by attempting to destroy the site(s) his object of frustration participates on. Given the number of cross posters on this site, DSSTalk, and DBSForums, it might behoove the administrators to review their security protocols ASAP. The troubles at DBSForums may have merely been the opening shot.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray H
Don't discount the possibility that the hacker(s?) is(are?) much closer. Proxy servers can spoof virtually any location in the world. It's possible some bozo with nothing better to do uses his computer or a laptop in a remote location and a cell phone dial-up connection to stir up trouble. Unfortunately the very openness of the internet has spawned an outlet for the insideous nature of some sickos that used to lie dormant for lack of opportunity.
They are most likely from Brazil. I have seen them before, and usually after a prospective client has been compromized and calls me to make an appointment for a security audit. They are a well known bunch of script kiddies who expolit the well known RDP holes in Microsoft-IIS.

Look at this: http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?....dbsforums.com and tell me what you think.

If you don't patch your holey OS, all the firewalls in the world won't prevent you from being hax0red.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.