AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to redo the grounding mess created by the "pro" dish installer.

I bought some 8 AWG copper wire and connected one end to the cold water pipe. The other end I connected to the coax grounding block, but in the process of tightening the screw, I stripped the threads. Not sure how you are supposed to make the connection tight without stripping the threads on the coax grounding block!

Anyway, I need to feed a wire down from the dish mount and tie it to the same coax grounding block. This means I need two ground connections to the coax block, one from the dish mount and one to the cold water pipe. I can buy another coax grounding block with dual ground screws, but I most likely will strip the threads again with the 8 AWG wire. The blocks with the single ground screw appear to be stronger.

Is there a way I can tie the two ground leads together through a bus bar or something and then tie that with a single wire to the coax block? I don't see how you could use a wire nut with three 8 gauge wires! Any ideas???

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Check your local code, but you might not need to use #8 to ground your coax blocks or your dish. #10 is a lot easier to work with and that's what the hardware usually seems to be made to work with.

You can use a split bolt connector to connect the #8 to the #10 or make a seperate run to the grounding strap from the dish and the coax block.

·
Registered
16,795 Posts
ALL grounds HAVE to be tied together per the NEC!

Water, gas, power and any ground rods need the same portential to ground, no voltage differences!

Larger the guage the more it can carry. Can never have too much. #6 is fine. Get another ground clamp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What would you do in this case ......

My dish will be mounted 50' out in my backyard on a pole set in concrete, conduit run underground to the end of my deck, from the conduit cables will run up a 6x9 support post to the underside of my deck (which is 12' high), then under the deck for 24' to the brick wall of my basement laundry room.

Ground blocks will be placed on the outside at that point, and grounded to a cold water pipe that is just inside the brick wall (about 10" of ground wire to the pipe).

Now, would you run ground wire all the way out to the dish from the ground block location ? That would be 24' under the deck, 10' down, and then 50' thru conduit to the dish - almost 90'. And if I do that (which I hadn't thought about or planned to), should I still place a ground rod at the dish location (which I had planned) and tie everything together?

Thanks,

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.