AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read about 50 posts on grounding, and everyone seems to have a diffrent answer, but here goes.

Will this pass code?

RG-6 lines from dish to CATV pannel in basement.

Ground line run from dish (Through Walls) to a cold water pipe, and bonded. (to ground dish)

Another ground line run from inside the low volt box (where the RG-6 Ground block will be located) to another cold water pipe, or the grounded electrical subpannel box.

????

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
It's better to go to a ground outside (my cable ground blocks go to the telco ground). Codes are also different in various areas (even though the basic code is the same), so you may want to inquire of your local electrical inspector. What you describe could be fine.

Note that you are trying to bleed away static buildup, not putting in place a lightning rod system! That's another whole animal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's just that sometimes it is impossible to go directly to ground outside. I was up at the house in question earlier. It will be fairly easy to get the ground wire from the dish, through the walls, and then outside to the cold

water pipe.

That would be my dish ground.

In the basement, there is another cold water pipe that is grounded with a big wire to the main electrical service. I can run a ground wire from my low volt box to there for my RG-6 ground.

If you have multiple dishes, can you just daisy chain them together using one ground wire?

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Again, it's all local code. What looks good electrically may be in violation of your local code, and if the inspector sees it, big trouble. Beyond that, it's best to ground to a single point to avoid ground loops and the like.

·
Registered
16,728 Posts
Bond ALL grounds together: gas, water, power and ground rod(s) to a common point!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.