AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been with Comcast for about 10 years and though their service hasn't been as bad as I have heard other people complain about, I may make the jump to DBS (especially since I don't live in the NJ area where those lucky dogs are starting to get HDTV via Comcast). Anyway, I live in Metro Detroit and am new to DBS. I was wondering what DBS company is the best for HDTV. I appreciate any comments regarding good satellite companies.

Thank you in advance,

HDCblGuy... or shall I say HDSatGuy ;)

·
Registered
497 Posts
It's like a Ford vs. Chevy discussion....it never ends. Search the forum for what's on each provider and make up your own mind what's best for you. I couldn't stand the tension and got both.

Al Keown

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
HDCblGuy,

Since you're in metro Detroit, you're in luck for over the air HDTV. You can get HDTV or DTV from pretty much any station that matters in Detroit. This takes away one of the major advantages for Dish Network. (I have a Dish 6000, but if you can get all your OTA channels in Detroit, you needn't care about CBS HD on satellite or the rumor of ABC HD.)

Let's see, both Dish and DirecTV have HBO HD. That mean's that can X that out of the equation for which satellite company to go with. You pretty much have a choice between HDnet or Showtime HD. Don't want to start a holy war on this, but it would be most desirable to get both. Dish won't be able to offer HDnet soon, if ever. DirecTV could have Showtime now, if they bothered to dedicate some bandwidth to it. Guess the home shopping channels and the religious "send me money" channels are a higher priority.

You have a wide choice of receivers. Do some research on OTA antennae, preamps and receivers to maximize your chances of getting all the OTA stations while not spending an arm and a leg on equipment. Right now, I personally would recommend DirecTV for Detroit, but do some research and make up your own mind.

Jim in Shreveport.

P.S. Dish Network is really nice out in the sticks. I have CBS HD at least a year before it would otherwise be available locally.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, let's say I went with DirecTV. Correct me if I am wrong, but I would get HDNet, right? Now here are my questions. I have 4 televisions and I would like each one to have both DBS and local channels (without paying DirecTV for local channels), is this possible? Also, my HDTV is the only set that needs HDTV. What do I need to make this set-up possible?

Thanks

HDCblGuy

·
Registered
695 Posts
Re: Dish Network...

Let's not forget that Dish also has a 24-hour HD PPV channel. I believe DirecTV's HD PPV is still only running during the middle of the night.

In order to have DBS on all of your tv's, you're going to need receivers for all of them, whether you go with Dish or DTV. That means signal splitters and more cable as well. Both services will charge you a little extra for each additional receiver, but it's not a lot (less than what my cable company wants to charge for multiple tv's) You only need an HD-capable receiver (or STB) for the tv you want to receive HDTV. For the others, I'd buy the cheapest receivers you can find.

Good luck. Dish vs. DTV, IMHO, boils down to sports vs. movies. DTV clearly has the advantage with more sports channels and HDNet. Dish, however, has more movie and network options, like SHO-HD and CBS-HD. If you can get free OTA HDTV, the network issues may not be an issue. If not, Dish is better poised to be carrying all the major networks in HD by this time next year, and has publicly stated that is one of their goals.

Of course, there are those on the forum that will advise you to get both. You can get DirecTV then buy the additional channels from Dish that you want ala carte. Of course, that means doubling your receiver investment since the two services aren't compatible. It all boils down to how much cash you want to plunk down for tv.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Randy. So here is what I got from your reply: All I need is one dish (I am assuming a 18"x24") connected to four different receivers (one of them being an HDTV receiver). I was looking at the Terk TRK-S2218, especially because it states that it has easy hookup to four receivers and it works with HD broadcasts. In this way, every TV in my home can tune to different channels and my HDTV gets HDTV DirecTV broadcasts, and regular DirecTV broadcasts. For local channels all I need to do is split the feed to each TV. I have heard of some people putting two satellite dishes on their roof pointing at different birds, why would you do that?

Thank you, I appreciate your help.

HDCblGuy

·
Registered
695 Posts
You probably want to cross post this to the HDTV hardware forum. You're at the point where you need more hardware expertise, and that's the appropriate forum for this kind of information.

With regard to two dishes: This primarily for Dish Network customers (like me) who get two satellites with a single 20" dish at 110 and 119, and then need a second 18" dish to get the HD feeds from the 61.5 position. For strictly DirecTV, you should be fine with the single oval dish.

You should find the best antenna for your particular application. Hooking up multiple receivers to an antenna shouldn't be a problem regardless of which antenna you get. You just need a distribution system to handle routing the signal. Hopefully all of your locals are located in the same direction ;)

That's about as far as I can take you. Try posting this on the HDTV hardware forum, there are guys there that live for this stuff and can give you alot more specific information beyond the theoritcal information I can give you.

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
I have heard of some people putting two satellite dishes on their roof pointing at different birds, why would you do that?
With DirecTV, you can fine tune each dish to get the best signal. With the eliptical, the signal from 119 is usually lower. With Dishnetwork, the satellites are too far apart to use one dish to get both SD and HD signals.

Since you want four receivers, you will max out the 4x4 multiswitch that comes with the eliptical dish. If one or more of your receivers is a dual tuner DirecTivo or UltimateTV, you will need a 4x8 switch since those receivers require two runs of coax from the switch.

-Robert

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
HDCblguy,

You asked what you will need to have 4 TV sets have the ability to have DBS and local TV and HDTV for one of the 4 TV sets.

Here is what you will need:

FOR HDTV:

1. An HDTV receiver that includes HDTV OTA (Over The Air) tuner - cost...from $500 up to about $800

2. Either an OVAL Dish for DirecTV or two dishes for Dish (one ffor regular programming and one for HDTV) cost...about $150. A 4x4 Multiswitch will be included in the DirecTV package but will be extra for Dish..cost - $100

3. An Antenna that will pickup OTA HDTV cost...$50 to $150

FOR NTSC

1. 3 additional DBS receivers - cost...about $75 each.

2. A VHF antenna with distribution amp for all 4 TV's - cost about $100.

Understand that which ever provider you go with, you will be paying an additional $15 per month for the 3 additinoal receivers. The 4th is included in the monthly package which run from $25 on up. HBO is $13 a month and Showtime is $12 a month.

The other costs that i did not include are all of the RG6 cabling you will need. This will run close to $200.

Lee

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.