AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much difference is there?

There is a huge price difference so is the SQ that much better with the DBX?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I wonder how much SQ comes into play with subwoofers..I think flexibility and absence of any added noise might be all you need.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
These are active crossovers, their intended use is not subwoofers, but rather active mains. I have never even used my DCX in my subwoofer signal chain.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Check out PSW. Some mentioned the Behringer sounds better even. Only if it does not break down.

But once you get a good set, it does not break down. I have the DEQ and DCX, still ticking in home environment but the DEQ is only 1 year and DCX (used) is several months old.

My local proaudio dealer has washed his hands off Behringer products though.....too many bad returns that the local Behringer office ran out of stock for 1-1 exchange. Then you wait several months for it to get fixed. He said he nearly got sued by customers for this....that's why no Behringer for him now.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
These are active crossovers, their intended use is not subwoofers, but rather active mains. I have never even used my DCX in my subwoofer signal chain.

Yes, I know what they are for and I am building DIY speakers so I do need one of these.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
I wonder how much SQ comes into play with subwoofers..I think flexibility and absence of any added noise might be all you need.

Sorry guys, I should have been more specific. This is not really for my subwoofers. Im about to start building main speakers to match the output of my subs.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Well, no DCX isn't really intended specifically as a subwoofer tool, but it is a speaker management tool that facilitates a number of aspects of subwoofer control.

I have one and it seems to be fine so far. I use it to manage (crossover freq., type/slope, time alignment, etc.) the subs and main speakers in my PA speaker based garage system.

From what I've seen on PSW, nobody faults the sound or features of the DCX. Only the name/reliability is a concern, and some general slam about Behringer copying designs.

It's another one of those love it or hate it deals with seemingly little middle ground.

Given the price difference, you could start with a Behringer and sell it if you don't like it, for much less than a hit on a DR 260.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Given the price difference, you could start with a Behringer and sell it if you don't like it, for much less than a hit on a DR 260.

Someone is selling the DR260 for $500 so its only $300 difference. If its that much better I may go with it instead. That is really what Im trying to decide.

That and where I can find a 5 channel 400w/amp cheap??? Which is impossible

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Doug:

I have been researching 'active' crossovers on the market today and you will not hear a difference between the digital Behringer or the DBX. They have better specs than their analog counterparts such as the 223XL or the CX3400 though. OTOH, if you want the best in sound quality and flexibility, look into Marchand. Phil's crossovers beat the digitals in S/N, THD, bandwidth, etc. BUT they are pure analog and have no fancy tricks, just good quality sound.

Chuck

·
Registered
3,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/14194536

How much difference is there?

There is a huge price difference so is the SQ that much better with the DBX?

I have not seen any proof yet that one is better over the

other in terms of SQ.

The only issue is some older DCX's had a faulty ribbon cable that caused an 'eggs frying' sound. Mine did it,

but I fixed it myself. All is good ever since. The pro people

don't like Behringer in general because 'the show must go on' and they don't want to risk their reputation doing gigs

by using Behringer product.

For the home DIYer, there is no issues.

Some of the low end DBX product has no digital input,

whereas the DCX does, and I use the DCX digital input.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys!!

Btw, chuck, Im shipping out the amp and the 8033 today!

·
Registered
3,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasw98 /forum/post/14197858

Phil's crossovers beat the digitals in S/N, THD, bandwidth, etc. BUT they are pure analog and have no fancy tricks, just good quality sound.

Chuck

How do you know unless the equipment is tested ?

/evil

Conclusions based on advertised specs?

We know how well that works

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/14197825

Someone is selling the DR260 for $500 so its only $300 difference. If its that much better I may go with it instead. That is really what Im trying to decide.

That and where I can find a 5 channel 400w/amp cheap??? Which is impossible

Well, yeah, only $300 more. $500 is still more than twice what a DCX costs and it doesn't sound too convincing that the DR has any significant advantage over the DCX for your application.

Have you fully reviewed the capabilities of both to see how the features/options stack up? And, if spending more gets you something you need besides the name?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didnt see much in terms of extra capabilities, both meet my needs. Im just looking for subjective opinion on any possible differences in sound quality and you guys are helping me answer that! Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,880 Posts

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
As I recall, Steve Dodds replaced his Driverack PA with a DCX and considered it an upgrade, mostly because of the added flexibility of the DCX with his 3-way dipoles. It sounded "better" because he could get the EQs and XOs dialed in better, not necessarily because of any superior design/build quality.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I have heard similar accounts before from others as well, I never went with anything but the DCX so I couldn't tell you otherwise myself.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I have both a DCX and a DEQ... still very happy with both. No issues with either unit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts