AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a chance to pick up a pair of these speakers with the outboard EQ for $50. I know these retailed for $3,000 years ago. Any idea what they're worth used in fair condition now? How hard are these to drive? I have two Dayton Audio APA150 150 watt amps that I planned on using to power them in Monoblock mode and was wondering if it'll be enough.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hey guys I have a chance to pick up a pair of these speakers with the outboard EQ for $50. I know these retailed for $3,000 years ago. Any idea what they're worth used in fair condition now? How hard are these to drive? I have two Dayton Audio APA150 150 watt amps that I planned on using to power them in Monoblock mode and was wondering if it'll be enough.
The DBX Soundfield 1A speakers are truly an incredible speaker design, even by today's standards.
The woofers are rubber surround units mane by Tonegen of Japan, and there are 4 of them, in each speaker. This equals incredible cone area, for room shaking bass, that goes down deep to 20 cycles.
They dip down to 2.5 ohms, and so you will need a powerful amp that is stable into 2 ohms.
The controller alone is easily worth 450.00, because the speaker will not work correctly w/o it.
Even in beat up shape, with a working controller, they are easily worth 800.00
That main tweeter is a specially made Oaktron Design, and could be worth 100.00 or more, to a DBX Soundfield 1A Speaker owner, who needs one.

The other drivers can be sold off on EBay for 25 to 50.00 each, and there are 16 drivers in each speaker, so do the Math.

Placed and set up properly, in the right room, the DBX Soundfield 1A is, IMHO, one of the best speaker ever made.

But you can not shove it back against the wall, or in a corner, and expect it to work it's magic.

The DBX Soundfield 1A is nearly impossible to find used, and especially with the controller.
Not many were made and sold, because 3500.00 was a lot of money, back in 1986.

Once people get them set up properly, they seldom get rid of them either. My pair came from an elderly audiophile who had a stroke, here in Florida. The only reason his family was selling his pair of DBX Soundfield 1A with the controller was because he had to go into assisted living, and could not take his speakers with him.

Because the woofer surrounds are rubber, there are no worries there. The Midrange units do have Foam, but it seems to last a long time. If they are bad, they can either be refoamed, or replacements are fairly easy to find.

Be SURE that the main tweeter is still working, for your chances of ever finding a replacement main tweeter are slim to none!

The rest of the tweeters are Audax types, easy to find. They used high quality capacitors in the crossovers, and they have stood the test of time.

The sliders in the contoller of the DBX Soundfield 1A can get scratchy, but some Deoxit Spray will easily fix that, and any good repair shop should be able to fix the controller, if need be.

I have probably had nearly 40 high end speakers, in 30 years of my audio hobby, and the DBX Soundfield 1A's are in my top 5 favorite ones.

Smooth, rich, musical and powerful, with an uncanny ability to melt away the walls of a listening room, this is the legacy of the mighty DBX Soundfield 1A :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts