AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
so that's a full DD/DTS unit? v2 I'm guessing?

great deal!

btw---how hard is it to upgrade a v1.0(no DD/DTS) DC-1 to something that includes the v3 or higher? I'm not much worried about DD/DTS actually...just want the BE(and all the additional setup parameters) and music surround mode. Would it be possible to go to v3.1 or higher without DD?

TV

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
TV,

"so that's a full DD/DTS unit? v2 I'm guessing? "

It says it is a base model so it wouldn't have DD or DTS. Wouldn't even have Logic 7 since that was part of the THX model.

"Would it be possible to go to v3.1 or higher without DD?"

I *think* v3 and higher was only available for DD and DD/DTS models. It certainly wasn't available for base models ('Neat' in Lexispeak). Not 100% sure about the THX model.

You could upgrade it to DD or DD/DTS model but it would be cheaper to just buy a DC-1 that was already DD or DD/DTS.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
That will be over $1k to upgrade it to latest spec. Doesn't seem to pay.

Probably the best deal would to let the previous buyer shell out the dough for the upgrade and have the buyer reap the benefit of the depreciation of the upgrade. Or better yet, get a dealer upgraded one, since they get DC-1 trade-ins practically for free and upgrade it for not much more than that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since my post I recieved many emails regarding this post. To clearify my reasoning. If I was in the market for a DC-1 I would contact the vendor and ask if it had a THX or DD logo on the unit. If so, one could buy v3 used real cheap and have a nice processor for around $500. Also the DC-1 is a great preamp for 2 channel.

Second many lexicon owners may have older software versions laying around that they may sell. I have v1.11 or 1.12 for example, I would give to someone. I have an extra v4 remote too. Lex sent me two for some reason. Said it would cost more in shipping than writing it off.

That was my thoughts- in no way was it trying to guide someone into spending $1k+ trying to obtain a load DC-1 when DC-2's loaded are selling close to the same price.

Hope my thinking makes sense.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
It makes sense to me, more than the ad on the DC-1 did:)

I saw DD/DTS listed as a *feature* and wasn't sure if they meant it had it, or it could be upgraded to it.

What's the dif between 1.0 and the software you have for the DC_1?(and how hard is it to install..just an eprom swap?). I might take you up on that.

TV

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TV,

I would contact the vendor to find out the software version. When you power up the version will be displayed. I have the JBL Synethsis processor(same thing as Lexicon DC-1). When I went to v1.2 to v4, Lexicon did change a chip on the mother board (needs to be done by Lex) and installed the v4 chip and eprom for me. Nothing to it , similar to computer memory.

What I was told Dolby changes a few things so a chip on the mother board had to be changed due to age/version I was running. This change is only for v4 and above BTW.

Contact Lexicon and ask them if the advertised DC-1 is 1.11 base model (NO DD; THX; DTS) and you install v1.12 - v3 will any other changes need to be made? If it will work, you are welcome to my v1.12 chips and old remote....free. Send me shipping cost on good faith.

Also you can go to v3 without having to change the mother board chip. You should be able to find someone willing to sell that version pretty cheap too. Some old posts of mine asking the same questions.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...an+and+lexicon

http://www.smr-forums.com/forums/index.htm

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I just put a DC-1 in my car,molded some pods for the sides...might end up with dipoles there though. it was a real hoot running wire for 8 discrete channels let me tell you. Still in the formative stages in a few areas...but man...even an old DC-1 running music logic really spoils you.

TV

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
TV,

Very cool!

Logic 7 is supposed to be fantastic in an automobile as it really helps the imaging for multiple listeners. I beleive the creater of Logic 7 has installed a similiar system in his Saab.

Next year it will be an option in a BMW.

Shawn

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TV,

I like how you are thinking. I was a former car audio installer many moons ago. I have a Lexicon CP-1 (real old) that I am going to put into my Expedition along with a DVD player, playstation, and a couple of monitors. Nice to travel. Where did you put the DC-1? I will have the display and input leds in the rear view mirror. I have taken it apart and lenthen everything, so all I need to do is install it. The rest will go by the rear A/C behind the side panel.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Mudman,

Do you still have on hand an extra remote for a DC-1 v4? I've been trying for months to get one ("it'll be in next week" has been a constant refrain for the last two months).

Could you let me know at [email protected] ?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
We had a PT cruiser with about 100 miles on it...so we ripped out the whole interior of course.

8 inifinty Kappas(5x7 for the rear, 6.5s for the doors,3.5s for the dash,and another set of 3.5s for the pods to the listeners sides.). We wired for center channel behind the rear view mirrior be haven't hooked anything up yet(so I run the LEX as center-no). twin 4 channel MTX amps. We put the LEX under that *shelf* thingy that rests in the back cargo area with the 8 channels of MTX amperage. We have to wire a IR repeater to it, and put a flipdown LCD somewhere too....right now you have to twist around and read the display while pointing the remote at it...*low rent*:)

It sounds pretty good(much better than 2 channel audio) now,but there's already about 50 things I'm think we might tweak as time allows.

TV

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mike - you got mail

TV,

Thats real cool. I will be using Image Dynamics (ID) compression drivers and ID IDQ 8" in the kick panels up front. ID IDQ 5.25 for center (only for movies). Sides are using ID IDQ 6.5 currently in the doors. Rears are in the headliner angled toward the rear glass. ID IDQ 5.25. A single ID IDQ 12 sub. Amps (The old MPS 2240 (2) and MS275 series) and processors (Eq-230 and Ax204 crossover front only) are Phoenix Gold.

I have all this gear left over from many installs in differ cars....you know how it is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.