AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need component cables to enable progressive scan? If so, how to do this with Dreamcast games that support 480p as I didn't think the system has component video support.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
It's with a VGA cable. Several companies made them, and you can find the adapters for ~$10 on eBay. I have one, and it definitely looks better. I think most, if not all Dreamcast games were programmed with 480p in mind. The downside? You need a TV or Projector with a VGA (RGB) input.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes and not all games will run over the VGA Box. Every single game I own except the Acclaim games work beautifully over the DC VGA Box.

Your options are get a TV with RGBHV inputs or run the VGA signal through a transcoder. I personally got a VGA switch and now I switch between my HTPC and DC on the DTV inputs on my Mitsu. Looks beautiful, I still contend that Soul Calibur in 480p is one of the best looking games still out there and now it is what 3.5 years old?

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Simon: Except maybe Soul Calibur II. All 3 current platforms support 480p widescreen and DPL II, and the XBox supports 720p (not in widescreen) and DD5.1 but unfortunately you have to import it.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I know this is old, but I have to reply anyway.

The Dreamcast games and console were created and displayed natively as 480P images, meaning they actually pull up and draw a full screen image graphic of 640x480 60 times per second. The US version incorporates an interlacer on the video out for US TV that reduces the output to 480i. The VGA box effectively allows the DC to run normal resolution directly off the disk the way it was created. Soul Caliber is truely an awesome graphics game in native resolution. PS and GameCube are scaled up to 480P outputs, not native. There is no possible way to get native 480P from PS or GC, although some have claims of adapters that double the frequency to simulate a 480P signal. Think small image (320x240) blown up to larger size, which amplifies the jaggies and actually lowers acuity and quality. The Xbox also scales video up above 1024x768, but the 480P versions of the old Sega games are still native 480P and most other exclusives are also supported that way.

I use a 4-way manual VGA switch box to switch between HTPC and DreamCast, which are NATIVE RGBHV/VGA signals and also HD cable box and Xbox, which output component 1080i. The Mits TV automatically switches between RGBHV and Component sync modes.

Doing demos between the same titles from Dreamcast and now ported to the XBox, people are still blown away that the DC looks as good as Xbox.

vegggas

·
Registered
846 Posts
vegggas,

Interesting post. Are you saying that the GC essentially line-doubles to get 480p? I'm wondering since I want to either get a line-doubler or a transcoder for use with my CRT projector (RGB input). I was thinking of using the transcoder with the 480p games to get the full resolution, but from what you're saying, it's not going to be any better than line doubling, right? If so, I might just get the line-doubler to be able to do optimize the 480i games on my projector.

Please let me know if my assumptions are accurate.

Thanks,

Shawn

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I'm not 100% sure about the GC anymore. After your post, I looked around some and it appears that there may be a cable available for the correct output, but only a few games that do 480P. As for either a transcoder or line doubler, the line doubler costs more, but offers more support of different input sources and should also give RGB output. If you line double the interlaced res it will look better than the straight signal. For graphics already allowed to go progressive, it may be a toss up on quality and be even or worse, depending on the line doubler used. Here is a link with some basic info about console graphics
link to arcade controls graphics page

The PS is know to have drawn graphics that are "half-sized" "then "doubled" to fit the screen and are always interlaced. Now it appears that the GC has hardware available to do 480P output, but it is unknown what the original screen graphics size actually is. Maybe a few games now are drawn at 640x480 and output as a progressive image.

vegggas

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vegggas
There is no possible way to get native 480P from PS or GC, although some have claims of adapters that double the frequency to simulate a 480P signal.
The Playstation2 should be able to output a native VGA signal using the VGA adapter from the Linux kit with a progressive scan Ps2 game. Or so I've heard.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Yeah, I heard something like that too, but it also takes a SEGA game (which were virtually all 480P) and holding down four buttons while it boots up and goes through some initial testing and screens. Essentially bypassing the interlaced circuitry and doing a pseudo 640x480 output. It was never really designed that way, but it could be a workaround for a small handful of games.

It's been a while since I researched all of this and a few tricks have popped up. All in all, it's uncanny that the DC was designed to run full frame 640x480P and widescreen from the very start for 95% of their games and PS2 used mostly 320x200 and a few 600x400 interlace games.

vegggas

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vegggas
All in all, it's uncanny that the DC was designed to run full frame 640x480P and widescreen from the very start for 95% of their games and PS2 used mostly 320x200 and a few 600x400 interlace games.

vegggas
Well, the Dreamcast used a graphics chip that was intended for the PC market originally. VGA support was kind of a no-brainer, especially since it had 8 megs of video RAM, hardware texture compression, and an on-chip Z-buffer, which means that (aside from the frame buffer) the full 8 megs is available for texturing, with the caveat that triangle data is also cached since it's a tile-based renderer. Not only could it output native VGA, but it could look very nice as well, on par with a top-shelf PC at the time of its Japanese launch :)

I had wished that VGA support would have become standard for all consoles after the Dreamcast, but not even the Gamecube* or Xbox support it. That sucks :(

*Gamecube can output a VGA signal, but it's really only relevant for progressve scan games.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.