AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Terk 5x8 multi-switch plus an OTA antenna connected.

I bought the Terk diplexer to separate the antenna from the DBS so I can connect both lines to my Samsung SIR-TS160.

OTA channels are coming in just fine, including 2.1 which in Chicago is really low power, except for 7.1 (WLS-DT [ABC]). The signal strength for that channel is 0% and every 4 seconds briefly jumps to 30%.

If I take the DC Block out of the equation, 7.1 channel setup jumps to 69%.

What's the purpose of this DC Block?

This is my first HDTV Monday Night Football with my new HDTV and I would like to watch the game.

What should I do?

Thanks.

-Don

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
The satellite multiswitch is switched with a DC "tone" that when sent to the switch switches to the correct satellite and polarization. The DC block is to prevent any of this DC current from getting into the RF input on your TV. This can cause interference and theoretically damage the circuit. I think the potential for damage is small, however. Most people report that the DC block helps their reception because it eliminates another cause of interference. If you get a better signal without it, you can probably safely eliminate it.

SMK

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.