AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of testing a unit with a very loud fan, at least to my ears. I looked inside, got the make and model but I am unable to determine what the db measurements mean. Could someone click on the link and let me know if this fan is considered loud or quiet? Thanks, its the M33416 at the top

http://www.nidec.com/ta350dc.html

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fan came stock in a scaler I am reviewing. It was very loud so I thought I would post the brand and the model and you fellas could tell me if it is considered loud or not. I really do not understand your reply. Are you claiming that the cooloing stats from the manufacturer are "far fetched"? Perhaps they are but, the cooling isn't my concern, the noise is.

Anyone: Is the fan on the link considered noisy or average for a fan of this type? Does anyone know a way to quiet it down or maybe even a replacement fan to reccomend? I don't care if it cools as well, I need it to exhaust something but, silence is the most golden request. Thanks for the reply. Eric

Note: just measured the db's with a SP meter, it was 60db's at the unit.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Ericbee:

___Fans are installed to cool a certain load first and foremost. The acoustic output is a consideration but you just do not install anything you find in a particular size and expect it to remove the heat the HW is generating. There are std. sleeve bearing fans from just about anyone that will be quieter than the BB Nidec you linked but they usually have a shorter life span. There are hydraulically lubricated fans like the Panasonic Panaflows, and there are the Papst fans w/ Sintec? lubricated sleeve bearings which from the press I have read, are some of the quietest axial fans for the CFM output rating available at a reasonable price today. Just be careful what you replace the current fan with because if it does not remove the heat, the HW will fail and when components fail due to heat build up, a burned out component is the least thing you may have on your hands if you know what I mean ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.