Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 Hollywood Faces Key Court Battle Over DVD Copying

"Illegal copying and Web-based free swapping of digital music has wreaked havoc on the record industry. Global music sales in 2002 fell 7.2 percent from 2001 to $32.2 billion.

The MPAA is determined to avoid the same fate. To some extent, the free swapping of digital movies has been limited by the hours it takes to download a film with dial-up connections.

High-speed broadband links, however, reduce that time to minutes. California-based Adams Media Research expects broadband-linked homes to number 24.3 million by the end of 2003, up 41 percent from 17.2 million at the end of 2002. "

Hey, broadband is fast, but upwards of 9 GB in minutes? Where do I get one of those!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Quote:
"Illegal copying and Web-based free swapping of digital music has wreaked havoc on the record industry. Global music sales in 2002 fell 7.2 percent from 2001 to $32.2 billion."
I love it when supposed reporters just spout whatever "facts" are handed to them without even casting a critical eye. Show me a business that did not have a bad year in 2002. Show me a business that depends on discretionary income that did not have a really bad year in 2002. Show me the production figures for the last few years as far as number of albums and CD released. Then we can start to talk about the music industry and their losses.

·
Registered
284 Posts

Show me some product I'd like to buy, then maybe things wouldn't be so bad.

I would love to see someone (judge, lawyer, ?) ask Hollywood to PROVE that their loss in revenues is from the copying of their product.

This arguement has come up every time there is a new recording medium. And EVERY time Hollywood seems to make more money than before. I don't get it.

I DO NOT condone copying of copyrighted material. I am a recording engineer and musician. I appreciate that everyone needs to make a living. But the entertainment industry has gotten really out of hand.

Funny, I still don't feel better....

·
Registered
509 Posts
The sad, unreported truth is the music industry produced fewer titles last year, and THAT accounts for the lower sales.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Jack Valenti, president and spokesperson for the MPAA, spoke at my law school a couple months ago, as part of his national tour of colleges and universities. The real reason for the trip was to get university leaders to stop piracy using their IT people, but the speech he delivered was about how piracy is wrong and immoral, and just plain stealing. When some very bright law students heard this the reaction was amusing - almost total disagreement. These are people who can think about the law, but still were not buying the "it's the same as shoplifting" argument.

Anyway, what was interesting is that one of Valenti's assistants told me afterwords that they have NO reliable way to estimate revenue loss. Just because I download a movie doesn't mean I was ever going to pay for it, so you see where the problems begin. Anyway, they are working hard with some outside consultants to try and generate numbers, but who knows what those will be worth...

Cheers,

RDaneel

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
They will probably use the same consultants that say that since there are 75 million pirated copies of Windows in China that 75 million*MSRP of Windows=lost revenue.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The arguement against piracy is a joke, always was.

Let me explain it this way, this applies to all theft, no matter what the product pretty much.

If someone steals something, odds are they did not, nor would they ever be able to afford the item they are stealing.

So stating that because there are 7 million copies of John Q Musician's song on the web being traded * X # of dollars = X # of dollars lost is a joke.

99.999/100 of those people would have never bought the crap in the first place, but free is free, and until the record companies and the musicians can provide a way to sell a song here and a song there at a reasonable price point, they'll never win.

I remember back in the C64/Amiga days, when you bought a copy of software, lifetime upgrades were included with it. We bought a LOT of software back in those days, it was beneficial to, since ya got all updates for life free. Your investment into that software paid off over the time period.

Now, you buy it, thats it, you might get small updates, but once you go from version 1 to version 2, you pay again. Some will say that its justified because of features, etc etc. I find it absurd. Its things like this, out and out crap and greed that have lead people to pirate as much as they do now.

I still buy shareware though, because those guys provide service and updates on a much more reasonable scale. I bought Winzip 8, some will laugh, but I'll pay $29 for that, before I'll pay 199 for XP Pro. It doesn't have enough value to me to warrant the pricetag (and no, I am not going to pirate it, I think XP sucks honestly, still use Win2K, which I paid for).

We all know pretty much why the reason song swapping is so hot.

CD's cost 12-15$/ea. Blank CD's are free most weeks from all the Office superstores. Free Blanks + Net connection = Record company just got owned.

I remember reading a LONG time ago because of the reduced cost of making CD's that they would be selling for no more than $9 years ago. They still haven't even gotten close to that #. Its greed. Lower the price of a full length CD to 6-7$, and I bet you'd see people lining up to buy it more so than what they are now (of course, the music can't suck, Fugazi has been selling CD's for 7$ I believe it is forever, but their music stinks :))

The same applies to many other things. I buy my cigarettes off the net now, because my local taxing authorities have deemed it necessary to increase the cost of cigarettes locally to a pathetic price compared to just 5 years ago. 100% increase in cost over that time period, ridiculous. So in the end, instead of getting increased tax revenue, they lost out on me. Where if you keep it reasonable, you won't find people that are finding ways around the concepts they use.

·
Registered
Onkyo TX-NR5009, AppleTV 4K, Sony KDL-55W900A, M&K s-125 lcr, M&K SS-150 surround, SVS 16-46pci sub
785 Posts
That's great to hear. Maybe they could figure out that when the economy isn't doing so well people will buy less stuff. Also when the majority of stuff being released is pop crap that people who are actually into music tend to buy less. if the music industry would release quality stuff then I would start buying more stuff. I use the internet to sample the music, if I like it I buy the album, if I don't I delete it from my hard drive. There is a reason why the music industry had record high sales while Napster was still around, people could easily sample music before they bought and the economy was doing well.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
"Global music sales in 2002 fell 7.2 percent from 2001 to $32.2 billion"

The airline industry has lost 20 percent or more of its business compared to 2001... Oh, my! Someone must be illegally downloading 747s!

:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.