AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 572 Posts

·
Registered
26,512 Posts
Hunter did mention that the further one goes back in time, the more severe the side affects are (bleeding through the eyeballs, nausea, vertigo, blindness, etc.). So I guess we are to assume going back 4,000 years would be potentially lethal and out of the question.
My thought was the further back in time you try to eliminate him, the more you will change the timeline. If, as they implied, he was the driving force instigating many of the wars down through time, if you killed him before he starts World War 1, then World Wars 1 & 2 may never happen or happen at significantly different times. By the time you get back up to present time, the world may look radically different.
You both make good points I hadn't thought of, thanks.

I'm still trying to figure out why Gideon is the ship AI. Does this mean Captain Rory Harness Hunter is a relative of Thawne or he stole Gideon from him? Does this mean another crossover with Thawne and even more Flash-timeline messing up?
Perhaps Gideon is the 22nd Century version of Siri. Everybody with an iPhone has one. :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Did the White Canary have a better outfit before? I don't watch the Flash because I can't get the CW and too lazy to download. I did watch Legends though, I like the two burglars -- they were brothers in Prison Break so they already have great chemistry.

·
Registered
14,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Did the White Canary have a better outfit before? I don't watch the Flash because I can't get the CW and too lazy to download. I did watch Legends though, I like the two burglars -- they were brothers in Prison Break so they already have great chemistry.
Sara never had a White Canary outfit before this. She was always the Black Canary until she died.

Her Black Canary outfit had a little more reinforcement in the chest area. ;)

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
Ok, let's think the cast second show out. Hmm. I guess he was the most expendable..

As to the show, it somehow seems "flat". It has the feel of some of those syndicated shows from the 80's and 90's is the way I'd describe it. The Flash and Arrow seem to jump off the screen with action but this show seems like it was filmed through a filter - both visually and character-wise.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
^ Agreed. I was excited pre launch, to get a 'team' show, that I hoped would bring a different vibe to contrast from the single hero led shows. But after watching these first 2 episodes, this just doesn't feel as if it's working. It's like an unsatifying gumbo, a bunch of ingredients tossed together that you liked individually, but put in the same pot mixed together, doesn't taste great. :(

I think the heart of the problem lies with the concept. So, is this all the show will be, bopping thru time to thwart Vandle Savage? And here, they've exposed themselves to him in 1975, which means he'll be aware of time travelers in stories set after '75. And the timeship wasn't cloaked after arriving at the museum allowing him and his minions to see it! Not helping is that the actor playing Savage is just....not...not very good. :eek: And it drags down everything around him.

I just can't see how this all can be maintained for a multi year run. I hope there'll be more to the show than this, but sadly, I'm finding it hard to be hopeful.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Agree, White Canary needs a complete make over, hair and costume need to be color coordinated to the actress natural color complexion.

The show needs a better choreographer for the team's fight scene. They should always face off with their foes by lining up. They need to build up slower to jump or break together, Breaking out to fight as a team like a sport team before a big play, but not governed by game rules, but establishing an on screen visual rule.

Vandle Savage need to be more of a monster, not a rejected lover. This is not "The Supper Hero Diaries." Set Vandle Savage up as the over arching story line or get rid of him, Add more villains, tearing, and repairing the damage to the time line they are causing. Get the team adrift in time from a tear. Never to return to their love ones no matter how hard they try. In so far as; in their capacity and character of never being able to go home.

·
Registered
995 Posts
The second episode was better, but I'm still not sure about this show yet.

The funny thing is I agree with Rip Hunter's assessment of all the "heros", I was never really a huge fan of any of them.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
I'm not sure how much of this bumbling their way through missions and screwing things up I can take. I guess it's like the Flash in the sense that if Barry wasn't so dumb, every encounter with a baddie would be over in a blink of an eye, which isn't good for TV. In "Legends," the show has them go off half-cocked with their own agendas and not thinking things through first to work better as a team, otherwise they could have easily taken down Savage and his minions in this first major encounter.

I will say Carter going down so quickly was a bit of a surprise, though I guess they can just find Carter in the current decade (perhaps after just losing his mate) and bring him along.

·
Registered
18,196 Posts
When Snart and Palmer were captured in the cage, why didn't Snart simply fire his cold gun and freeze Savage? Then Ladyhawk could easily stab him with the dagger. They'd be eating Shawarma and telling stories. Regardless, the characters aren't very likable. I'm still in tho.:D

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Or even freeze the bars enough to shatter them with a light tap.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still

·
Registered
995 Posts
Or even freeze the bars enough to shatter them with a light tap.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
Exactly! I mean if it work son laser beams surely it would work on the cage...

Reactions: Turrican4D

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
He didn't bring the cold gun because they wanted to reduce the risk of more future tech getting into the hands of the locals, a la, Atom's thing-a-ma-jig.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
It's possible they have bitten off more than they can chew with a team this large. While a team of heroes sounds great in theory, it's hard developing all their story lines in the standard 44-minute American time slot. Fans have to throw in their own explanations for a lot of the character moments that normally would be addressed on a solo show.

I expect LOT to get better as the producers get a handle on working with all these characters. For the most part I've liked what they've done so far with Captain Cold and White Canary. I am not as enthusiastic about the large role given to Professor Stein, it looks like the showrunners are in love with the actor's portrayal.

They could have made Rip Hunter a much more mysterious character, revealing his backstory so early was a mistake in my book.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I will say Carter going down so quickly was a bit of a surprise, though I guess they can just find Carter in the current decade (perhaps after just losing his mate) and bring him along.
Maybe that is going to be Carter's role in this show: Savage kills him in every episode and they keep finding a new Carter in each time period to start all over again. It would be nice to see some novel, creative use of the time travel plot device in conjunction with his ability to reincarnate.

Duane

·
Registered
14,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
The show needs a better choreographer for the team's fight scene. They should always face off with their foes by lining up. They need to build up slower to jump or break together, Breaking out to fight as a team like a sport team before a big play, but not governed by game rules, but establishing an on screen visual rule.
The stunt choreography on the DC shows is some of the best on TV and that visual chaos not only makes perfect sense for the character arcs but also makes for some pretty good sequences on a relatively low budget. They are not a team yet and should not be co-ordinated at this stage. Seeing how such a diverse and ragged bunch of supporting characters learn to somehow work together is the main driving force.

Plus of course this is not a sports show. The opponents don't line up and come at you from one direction. If they had time to stand in formation before every random fight sequence it would look even more cartoonish and unnatural.

Reactions: Josh Z and osu1991

·
Registered
14,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
I was surprised they killed Carter so soon even if he does eventually find a way to reappear. I hope he doesn't come back for a while though because I find the Hawks a big drag in what is otherwise just an action adventure. The show is lacking the excuse for the usual obligatory angsty relationship melodrama of Flash and Arrow, so the Hawks feel like the writers are trying to use them to fill that hole, and I don't find their relationship or backstory compelling at all.

Also an odd choice that for one line the writers had Savage speaking in subtitled ancient dialect, but the rest of the flashbacks that take place in that actual time period are all in English.

The rest of it is mostly big dumb fun though and I thought the action scenes with everyone involved were pretty sweet for television. Since this episode was part two of the pilot though I'm expecting the budget will not be carried over to every week. The show is working for me so far as a decently-budgeted fun space/time adventure show with a colorful ensemble of characters. It reminds me of SG-1 and that's a hole that has been empty on the schedules for a long time.

Favorite line from this week was easily Sara's "You think I'm sexy..." :D

Reactions: osu1991

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
It's been driving me crazy the past two weeks where I had heard Snart's voice before. And then it occurred to me today looking up this commercial for an overseas friend who didn't understand my use of the expression "din din":

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I guess my main problem with this show is that its premise gives away the outcome of every episode ahead of time: their mission is to stop Savage, and thus we know even before each episode begins that no matter what they try, they're always going to fail, because if they won, the show would be over. I hate it when shows do that, and I honestly don't see how they can keep a show based around a dozen people failing to take down one bad guy over and over going for 100+ episodes.

It would be nice if they successfully killed him by the end of the first season but created some horrible history-destroying side effect in the process, thus allowing them to spend season 2 on something new, because otherwise, this show is going to get too tedious for me to stick with it.

81 - 100 of 572 Posts