AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having talked to two reputable Velodyne representatives and a local dealer I'm receiving conflicting opinions and thought I'd try to get some feedback. I'm considering both the DD-15 and DD-18 for a carpeted 5000 sq ft room with an open hallway in the back and stairs in the back of the room that lead upstairs (no door). One rep told me I really need the DD-18 for a room that size, and I'd need two DD-15s for comparable performance. The second rep told me either would work well. The dealer summed it up with "the DD-18 is for unmarried guys", inferring that unless I want ridiculous bass the DD-15 should be fine. While it was refreshing to have a dealer not upsell, I should also note he has the DD-15 in stock and not the DD-18.

I obviously don't want to spend more than I have to (and the smaller size of the DD-15 is definitely more appealing) but I also don't want to spend that amount of money on something that will underperform in that room. Thoughts from the bass experts?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I am far from a bass expert but another thought might be dual DD-12 subs.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'd lean toward the 18, it's not sluggish and your space is big and not closed off, the 18 will provide better dynamics when movies or music call for it. How much is the difference in $$ at this dealer?

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
Neither sub will give you rediculous amounts of bass.Dual 15's would be a safe bet.5000 sq. ft. is a sizable room. Lets say your room is 25' x 22' with 9' ceilings. I think dual 15's would get you pretty good levels.

·
Registered
793 Posts
You were right initally he was selling what he had in stock. Hardly any dealers have in-box 18s for sale. If he did, he would have sold you that. No way would the 18 be so much louder in your room than the 15 unless you wanted to play it at that level. Curt from Velo can reached with PM on the Velo thread if you want an expert opinion on how much woofer you need. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone; pretty much confirmed my first impression. Curt from Velodyne strongly recommended the DD-18. He also mentioned that there are used HGS-18's out there if the DD-18 was out of my budget, so I really appreciated his integrity. Looks like the DD-18 it will be!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.