AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it can be done, right ? or do I miss something (imposed by the dvdforum ? it could "shadow" the 5.1 dolby ?)

from a PCM dolby surround to a 192kbps dolby surround/stereo, there's an ENORMOUS loss of musicality, of details, of that "great audio feeling" that laserdiscs offered.

I just noticed for instance GARDENS OF STONE being announced by Columbia, in 2.0 only

I don't ask for remasters in discrete 5.1 necessarily ( I reall don't ) but a much higher data rate at least, and let the receiver-processor do his job of decoding it into prologic. DPLII with 192kps is a joke.

another useless ranting :D

PS: besides, mono tracks sound better in PCM too.

a quick list:

AUDIO (assuming digital only outputs, as most dvd players have poor analogic outputs )

untouched masters: LD !

dolby 5.1 - AC3 : less dialnorm issues on ld

DTS: LD ( full rate always ) but non issue to me. half rate is quite good enough (uncorrect dialnorm, cooked down discs, 192kbps are bigger issues !)

dolby surround: LD !!!!!!!

mono: LD !!!!!

distorsion: dvd ( because the masters seemed to have often been checked )

VIDEO ( assuming the discs are viewed in via the best possible paths and are well mastered)

details: dvd !!

depth: dvd !! (goes with S/N)

resolution: dvd ! ( especially anamorphic )

video S/N : dvd !!!

compression: ld !!! ( :D )

colors: dvd !

blacks: dvd !!

contrast: dvd !!

fluidity: now on par

continuity (sides): dvd :D

edge enhancement: ld !!!! :D

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
It can be done no problem. Most authoring houses don't unless you specifically tell them too. If the music is really that important however you might as well just go for a full PCM track.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a full PCM track would take too much space. from 192 to 448kbps, there is a big audible difference. music "that" important ? isn't "sound" "that" important ??

sometimes I wonder how many people watch their dvds with the sound turned off :D

the vast majority hasn't experience laserdisc, that's also true :D ( US household penetration: 2.5% )

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
There are some of us not equipped to decode 5.1 or DTS, I downmix the aformentioned numbers to PCM surround, which is decoded by my sennheiser unit.

I have told all why I must wear earphones in the oldies place I unfortunately live in. Take at high as you want but I have to set my DVD players to down mix, in order for Sennheiser to work to give me a Dolby Pro-Logic 5 sounds from headphones!

I have called the 1-800-recoton number to be snail mailed literature on a 5.1 Dolby Surround from 900 MHz. Wireless headphones price $279 as seen in the June issue of Sounds and Visions magazine. This set is about 50% of what the Sony wireless headphone outfit costs. I have personal experience of owning Recoton products.

Pictured in advertisement next to page 96

in Sounds & Visions if any of you 'I have to have my loud speakers' want to read about the new device seen, it won't spoil your hairdoo or perms guys. lol :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.