AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Denon AVR 4802 and was able to watch DD 5.1 HBO etc as well as HD-1000 D-VHS tapes made on my Dish 5000 HD-Panny Combo.

For no apparent reason, I am only now getting consistent DD 5.1 drop outs on Dish braodcasts as well as tapes made prior.

DVD's played through the same Denon DD 5.1 decoder are fine.

Any thoughts or solutions?

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
225 Posts
Very interesting. I have DirecTV with an RCA DTC-100 and a Denon 5700, and I sometimes have DD dropouts with HBO East and West, but I've never had dropouts with Starz East or DD Pay Per Views. I wonder if something about the way HBO encodes DD confuses Denon receivers?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Murray,

This sounds like it could be the Panasonic TU-DST tuner DD audio problem. Do you still have your previous audio processor? Check to see if the problem duplicates itself with it. If it still works fine, I would guess you have the dreaded audio incompatibility problem and may have to reconsider your choice of audio receiver.

You could also check with another Dish DD source, like a 6000 that has direct DD output.

Good luck,

Ken

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's weird is I tested a friends Denon 2802 prior to buying the 4802 and you would think the DSP's would oiperate similarly.

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ken,

Is there any DTS on OTA-HD (Networks) or Dish-HD & DirecTV HD, or is it just variations on Dolby Digital 5.1/6.1?

The reason I ask is I may need a Technics SHAC300D (DD Only) or the SHAC500D (DD & DTS) for a Dish 5000/Panny Combo that has DD 5.1 audio drop outs when played though my Denon 4802.

So, is DTS a DVD only format for now?

What about any pre-recorded D-VHS coming out- DD and- or DTS?

If there is no DTS OTA or DBS (E* or D*) then can I get away with a SHAC300D (DD Only) for my Dish/Panny Combo on Ext In and use the Denon AVR 4802 for everything else.

Thanks in advance.

Murray Kerdman

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
HD, Sat & OTA is DPL or DD, not DTS.

I have a Denon 5800 and have had no problems with the DTC-100, DST-3000, and Dish 6000. The 4802 software is newer, and I hope DPL II isn't the problem, but I would tend to think it probably resides on the STB side of the equation. Have you tried Coax vs. Optical connections (or vice versa) to be sure it's not a cable issue.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it's a Panasonic DST50W STB issue.

My Dish 501 on DD is fine as are Toshiba 5109 DVD's.

It's both a DPLII and DD 5.1 problem coming from the STB only.

To solve the problem, I ordered a Technics SHAC500 DD/DTS Decoder which I understand is highly compatible with the Panasonic DST50W STB. I will run that 6 ch analog out into the ext. in of the Denon 4802.

Murray Kerdman

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.