1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will start out with my hardware:

Onkyo 806 Receiver

GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6 motherboard

Nvidia 9800 gx2 video card (dvi x 2, hdmi outputs)

My motherboard has s/pdif out (2 pin connector) and my video card has s/pdif in (2 pin). My question is would I be able to get DTS-HD or DD+ to my receiver from my computer. I heard that bitstreaming is not possible yet from my computer without a crazy video card. Would there be some way to change the audio into something different...I read like 4 x 2 streams or something. Sorry I'm not good with all this audio lingo. I read there is a way to do it, the sound will get there in full bandwidth but the receiver wont light up with DD+ or true HD. I think it was using cyberlink powerdvd ultra or something.

What is the limiting factor which limits the bandwidth of these HD audio signals? Is it the s/pdif connector in general or is it the medium that is used to transport the signal to the receiver (optical and coax). What I plan on doing is connecting the s/pdif out on my motherboard to the s/pdif in on my video card and using hdmi to transport video and audio to the receiver. Right now im using optical but i will switch to hdmi in a few hours.

With this setup is there any way to get the HD audio to the receiver. I know the receiver probably wont have a chance to decode it but if the computer could decode it and send it to the receiver a different way where it is already processed similar to what the ps3 already has or whatever. Would I be able to do it cause hdmi has a lot more bandwidth than optical or coax. Am I out of luck with my setup or is there hope without buying that super expensive Asus card that everyone is talking about. I hope I didn't leave anything important out here with my setup. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
S/PDIF supports only stereo LPCM, DD and DTS. It looks like S/PDIF has more bandwidth, but this is the fact. The best you can do with your current components is connect the internal S/PDIF connector of the mb to the S/PDIF connector of the video card with a proper cable, and use the onboard digital audio (Realtek Digital Audio) as the playback device. Then you will get stereo LPCM/DD/DTS over HDMI. You can use DTS Connect as default (so every sound including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Aduio is first decoded to multichannel LPCM, then encoded into DTS and sent over HDMI), but this is not necessary because PowerDVD/TMT has a built-in DD/DTS encoder.

Of course you can use an optical or coaxial cable separately from video cable. The audio signals are exactly the same as above.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are there sound cards that do multichannel pcm. And are those cheaper than a soundcard that can actaully do bitstreaming. Cause I guess Powerdvd can take the dts-hd or whatever and change it into multichannel pcm. Whats the best sound card that would work for me that has the best price.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Yep, PowerDVD/TMT decodes HD audio formats into multichannel LPCM and sends them to the audio device. But multichannel LPCM is supported by only HDMI. So you will need a sound card supporting HDMI or a graphics card with a built-in HDMI audio controller.

- ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3

- Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD (available soon)

- Radeon HD 4xxx graphics card.

The first two HDMI sound cards support not only multichannel LPCM but Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD Master Audio bitstreams (so the player does not decode them). Radeon HD 4xxx supports only multichannel LPCM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does the Xonar HDAV1.3 do bitstreaming via hdmi so my receiver could decode the audio signals?...cause that would be ideal instead of multichannel pcm

·
Registered
894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/15560358

Yep, PowerDVD/TMT decodes HD audio formats into multichannel LPCM and sends them to the audio device. But multichannel LPCM is supported by only HDMI. So you will need a sound card supporting HDMI or a graphics card with a built-in HDMI audio controller.

- ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3

- Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD (available soon)

- Radeon HD 4xxx graphics card.

You've omitted the S3 Chrome 530GT. Not sure why this forum is more interested in overengineered HDMI re-encoding devices than this thing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Could you not use the analogue audio outputs from the PC to the External input on the 806?

I am not sure if you first have to remux to mkv with flac, or whether AnyDVD_HD enables analogue lossless output directly from the HD-DVD / BluRay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts