AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just purchased an onkyo tx-sr705. hooked up my PS3 via HDMI, started playing movies like (300)-dolby truehd and the receiver does not display the symbol. also played some dts-hd movies and got the same results. any suggestions???

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
ps3's can't transmit truehd, dd+ or DTS-HD bitstreams so the indicators will never light up. If you have things configured correctly, you should get MultiCh PCM on your 705. You might want to read through the 705 FAQ at the beginning of the Official 705 thread.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick reply. so if this is the case then what surround mode should i be using on the tx-sr705? and should i be using lpcmor bitstream on the ps3?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
lf your receiver is new and your ps3 isn't, redo the initial audio setup on your ps3. It should be configured for LPCM - automatic HDMI settings.

Press the Surr button and it should select the Multichannel listening mode. Make sure that works before you move on to anything else.

If you have 7.1 and the signal you're receiving is 5.1, you can use PLIIx or THX Select.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a new 705 and old PS3. That was the first setting change that I made. The 705 went to PCM Multichannel automatically, so I thought there was something wrong cause I wasn't receiving the DD+-DTS-HD sign. What am I actually listing to in this mode?sw

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by howcass /forum/post/12954115

thanks for the quick reply. so if this is the case then what surround mode should i be using on the tx-sr705? and should i be using lpcmor bitstream on the ps3?

LCPM at least for now. So you at least you´ll get True HD decoded in the PS3. Rumors are that there´ll be an update for PS3 that enables bitstream for DD+ and DTS HD. We´ll just have to wait and see (hear).

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Except for uncompressed pcm soundtracks which don't need to be decoded, everything has to be decoded to PCM by either your player or your receiver. ps3's can faithfully decode everything except DTS-HD Master Audio. They can play DTS-HD MA by extracting the DTS core and converting that to PCM. So, yes, you're getting high bitrate audio from your ps3 when it's in multichannel listening mode.

·
Registered
37 Posts
when i look at the display for the ps3 , it shows 4.6 mbps for uncompressed pcm vs 3.0 for Dolby Tru HD. So why would Dolby Tru HD be better than uncompressed? Any answers? I'm confused Everyone seems to want a new reciever to decode DD Tru HD when you can still pass the uncompressed signal thru optical and it says it has a higher bitrate . Am i missing something here?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My son and I just watched Cars 5.1 uncompressed pcm and we were blown away compared to the standard 5.1 dd. I was switching between multichannel and the dsp modes like thx select 2 mode and I think that the multichannel mode sounded a little more percise.

With the PS3 not recognizing DTS-HD, can I listen to the 7.1 tracks on the market?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Maq /forum/post/12955918

when i look at the display for the ps3 , it shows 4.6 mbps for uncompressed pcm vs 3.0 for Dolby Tru HD. So why would Dolby Tru HD be better than uncompressed? Any answers? I'm confused Everyone seems to want a new reciever to decode DD Tru HD when you can still pass the uncompressed signal thru optical and it says it has a higher bitrate . Am i missing something here?

I have no clue exactly what the PS3 is displaying, but I wanted to clarify a few things.

TrueHD is 100% capable of the same fidelity as PCM. TrueHD can compress 192khz/24 bit PCM. I believe this is the same limit as both HDMI PCM transmission and what can be stored on a Blu-ray disc.

In practice, a lot of soundtracks appear to be 48khz/24 (or perhaps 20, I am not sure.) That same uncompressed soundtrack can be compressed losslessy to TrueHD, and then uncompressed back to the IDENTICAL PCM soundtrack.

TrueHD has an advantage over uncompressed PCM, when used to store a soundtrack on a disc - it takes up less room with NO loss of fidelity.

As for the whole argument of whether it's better to decode in the player, or the receiver, that's complicated by whether you need player side audio mixing, whether you have bass management issues, or whether you believe bitstream audio is less likely to have jitter. None of that matters for the PS3, because you are STUCK with player side decoding and sending the data as HDMI/MPCM.

Pragmatically, HDMI/MPCM works just fine with no loss of fidelity. DTS-HD Master Audio being the one exception. The PS3 can only decode the core portion, and can't send it as bitstream either.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/12956448

I have no clue exactly what the PS3 is displaying, but I wanted to clarify a few things.

TrueHD is 100% capable of the same fidelity as PCM. TrueHD can compress 192khz/24 bit PCM. I believe this is the same limit as both HDMI PCM transmission and what can be stored on a Blu-ray disc.

In practice, a lot of soundtracks appear to be 48khz/24 (or perhaps 20, I am not sure.) That same uncompressed soundtrack can be compressed losslessy to TrueHD, and then uncompressed back to the IDENTICAL PCM soundtrack.

TrueHD has an advantage over uncompressed PCM, when used to store a soundtrack on a disc - it takes up less room with NO loss of fidelity.

As for the whole argument of whether it's better to decode in the player, or the receiver, that's complicated by whether you need player side audio mixing, whether you have bass management issues, or whether you believe bitstream audio is less likely to have jitter. None of that matters for the PS3, because you are STUCK with player side decoding and sending the data as HDMI/MPCM.

Pragmatically, HDMI/MPCM works just fine with no loss of fidelity. DTS-HD Master Audio being the one exception. The PS3 can only decode the core portion, and can't send it as bitstream either.

Thanks So basically are you saying that uncompressed and Tru hd sound the same- with the advantage that tru hd takes up less room?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Maq /forum/post/12967195

Thanks So basically are you saying that uncompressed and Tru hd sound the same- with the advantage that tru hd takes up less room?

In a nut shell and on paper yes.

Some naysayers will say DialNorm messes with the signal etc.

In reality it does not. Dialnorm is part of the metadata not part of compressed data. The digital information (the compressed audio) is the untouched right up until it gets to the decoder, where dialnorm is applied.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Maq /forum/post/12986033

anyone know how to get the dolby tru hd signal to pass thru my toshiba a-35 so the reciever can decode it?

Digital HDMI Out = Auto

Digital Direct Audio Mode = On

·
Registered
37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex /forum/post/12986854

Digital HDMI Out = Auto

Digital Direct Audio Mode = On

digital hdmi is set to auto

i do not see any setting that says digital direct audio mode

·
Registered
37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey /forum/post/12986789

I suspect you'd set the HDMI out to "bitstream"...anything in the manual?

cannot set it to bitstream just auto or pcm or downmixed pcm

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
King what firmware you are on?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts