AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running a phantom center (no center channel - pair of Paradigm 60's are doing the work for the entire front stage) till I can get a TV that I can mount on the wall to clear up room for my center channel to fit. This is forcing Dolby Pro Logic IIx rather than Dolby Digital or DTS.

**Does anybody have insight on how bass management is affected by this (Pro Logic opposed to using Dolby Digital/DTS of which utilizes a deditated LFE channel)? LFE, etc, etc.**

Not sure if it makes a difference, but my components consist of an Outlaw 970/7500 combo, powering Paradigm Studio Speakers. Sub = SVS PC13 Ultra.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Why do you feel that you are "forced" to use PLII? Just play the DD/DTS track and let the centre channel get folded into the mains.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
It can have a huge effect on bass when you take a way the dedicated LFE channel. In heavy bass soundtracks, the most intense bass is in the LFE channel.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundlovr /forum/post/15550379

Why do you feel that you are "forced" to use PLII? Just play the DD/DTS track and let the centre channel get folded into the mains.

I guess I will have to play with it more, I haven't had luck as of yet. I didn't think you could do that with Dolby Digital....

I googled phantom center among a few other key words, and Pro Logic II keeps coming up. I've resorted to google after I couldn't figure it out on the OSD or manual for my 970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/15550871

It can have a huge effect on bass when you take a way the dedicated LFE channel. In heavy bass soundtracks, the most intense bass is in the LFE channel.

Ok - if I can't get soundlovr's advice to work, I will be tempted to jump on a new TV soon so I can get that CC rocking.

Thanks for both of your input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts