AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully this will be my last question over the audio. On my Onkyo receiver, which has no HDMI, I can obviously only use optical. So in this case, does it make any sense to use DD TrueHD instead of DD+ since they both are mixed to a DTS signal on my receiver?? On Batman Begins I have an option for both. Does one mix better then the other, I know it sounds sill buy I don't know? I remember reading one guy stating that the TrueHD was more quiet, but I just want to know?

·
Banned
469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inca /forum/post/0

Hopefully this will be my last question over the audio. On my Onkyo receiver, which has no HDMI, I can obviously only use optical. So in this case, does it make any sense to use DD TrueHD instead of DD+ since they both are mixed to a DTS signal on my receiver?? On Batman Begins I have an option for both. Does one mix better then the other, I know it sounds sill buy I don't know? I remember reading one guy stating that the TrueHD was more quiet, but I just want to know?

When you did your own comparison, which sounded better to you?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stein /forum/post/0

When you did your own comparison, which sounded better to you?

Personally, I can't tell a difference, but I just want to make sure that I am getting the most out of my system so thats why I'm asking. I want to technically make sure that I am getting the most, even if its just a little more.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
You CANNOT hear lossless through optical. Only through HDMI or analog. Through optical you'll hear the lossy core.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited /forum/post/0

You CANNOT hear lossless through optical. Only through HDMI or analog. Through optical you'll hear the lossy core.

I understand that I can't get lossless. I'm just curious as to if the A2 downmixes the DDTrueHD better then the DD+ when it downmixes it to DTS for my Receiver to play?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz /forum/post/0

1 word:

Bandwidth

Not really. More of a political decision since S/PDIF has not any form of copy protection -- so codecs that could do lossless multichannel were not developed for it. While 1394 Firewire (iLink) has 5C and HDMI has HDCP to provide copy protection.

The clock on S/PDIF rides with the data -- no real technical reason why -- esp for coax -- that it could not have gone up to the needed rates for lossless 5.1 codecs.

·
Registered
185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inca /forum/post/0

Excellent question "inca"! I honestly had the same question today while watching Batman Begins. But being new to the forum, I was hesitant to ask.

But as you, I can't really tell the difference between the two.

My receiver is the Onkyo TX-SR602.

·
Registered
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight /forum/post/0

No kidding. Fiber can carry a massive amount of bandwidth (as well as coax).

The protocol wasn't designed to carry more than 2 channel PCM. In the networking world SFC (single fibre core) can handle 1Gb/s speeds. And for the fact checkers yes it's capable of faster speeds especially running full duplex.

·
Registered
603 Posts
To answer the OP, yes the TrueHD track will in theory sound better downmixed. I have yet to hear a difference though.

To everyone else, can we please kill the myth that fiber/coax does not have enough bandwidth, it is truly a artificial limitation.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
It's been my experience that low frequencies tend to be the easiest to tell if you can hear a difference. Similar to DD vs. DTS, the only time I can tell a difference is listening to what the sub has to say. Even then, there might be a little placebo in my drink. But, I do think you should listen to the bass. It might just tell you which you really do prefer.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
You should hear the differnce in the imaging starting with a better source before re encode... but alot of it depends on your system.

If you have a disc with THD, use it...

To sb1... Dolby and DTS use differnt crossover settings and level controls in their encoders for the LFE...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.