Not open for further replies.
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddean
Michael --

IIRC, our beautiful OTA ATSC maxes out at 19.8 Mb/s, including a DD soundtrack (I can't check bitrates easily, but I believe it's mostly 384 or 448 Kb/s). I wouldn't call MPEG-2 at 21 Mb/s "dicey" unless you're looking for substantially better than HDTV quality.

Of course, there are some artifacts in (compressed) HDTV, so maybe we really do need a higher bitrate....

Drew Dean
Um, "dicey" is putting it kindly.

If we only get OTA-quality HD from these new formats, I will vomit in my own mouth.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Well, I'll stick with "dicey" because I do think that benefits are to be gained from the use of multipass VBR with hand-tweaking of individual scenes. So 19.8Mbps ATSC != 19.8Mbps Blu-Ray/HD-DVD. Still, I would feel far more comfortable with more bandwidth than that.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Grant
Well, I'll stick with "dicey" because I do think that benefits are to be gained from the use of multipass VBR with hand-tweaking of individual scenes. So 19.8Mbps ATSC != 19.8Mbps Blu-Ray/HD-DVD. Still, I would feel far more comfortable with more bandwidth than that.
There are substantial advantages to offline encoding. Of course I'm assuming that OTA relies on real time encoders for everything. I don't know if that's true, or if weekly TV shows get the benefit of offline encoding before distribution out to the affiliates. Live obviously gets a single pass in real time to get things done.

Plus newer encoders are improving.

Still, I would be happier with MPEG-4 or VC-1 @ 21 Mbits/second than MPEG-2.

But anyway, that's neither here nor there for the moment.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
7,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles
Um, "dicey" is putting it kindly.

If we only get OTA-quality HD from these new formats, I will vomit in my own mouth.
Then you will not have to buy into these formats and can just use pay-per-view. That's what I'll do. Sony usually come throuugh though with picture quality. I expect Blu-ray to, if not right away, at some point to offer exceptional picture quality.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Huh? I'm not getting you, Bulldogger---you seem to be optimistic about the high PQ of these new formats (and I am too)! The last thing Chris would want is PPV at OTA ATSC quality levels.

To cheer everyone up, read this.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=666581

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger
Then you will not have to buy into these formats and can just use pay-per-view. That's what I'll do. Sony usually come throuugh though with picture quality. I expect Blu-ray to, if not right away, at some point to offer exceptional picture quality.
Yes, you may have misinterpreted my post, I clearly do NOT want OTA quality, I expect significantly better, and better than D-Theater. That's what I'm hoping for, and signs seem positive so far, which is good. :)

·
Premium Member
7,193 Posts
No, I got it. I'm saying that if it is that bad, then you can just save your money and use pay-per-view:). I hope that is not that bad either.

·
Premium Member
7,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Grant
Huh? I'm not getting you, Bulldogger---you seem to be optimistic about the high PQ of these new formats (and I am too)! The last thing Chris would want is PPV at OTA ATSC quality levels.

To cheer everyone up, read this.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=666581
Swordfish wasn't a particuliarly good movie and it's going to be on one of the hi-rez video formats, HD-DVD I believe. Except, I think Halle Barry, not spit, will be the focus of that offering ;). That certainly will cheer me up!

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger
No, I got it. I'm saying that if it is that bad, then you can just save your money and use pay-per-view:). I hope that is not that bad either.
Oh ok, gotcha! :)

That's a better idea than vomiting in my own mouth, too. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,193 Posts
I'm not holding out much hope for hi-rez audio. Maybe we will see it on music videos as has been mentioned in other threads. While I was in AZ visiting Steve Bruzonsky, I talked a friend out there into buying a Sony SXRD television and it was delivered a few days ago,. Now, it's impossible to talk him into HDTV. He's so happy with the picture from his damn DVD player and his wife is too. Wife is 35, extremely business savvy, and has her own dental practice. My buddy is pretty educated himself. Talk as much as I like they are not interested in any talk of HD-television or HD-DVD. "What's wrong with DVD, the picture looks great?!," was the comment my buddy, made when I tried to insist during out last conversation a couple of days ago. Talking him into some kind of hi-def dvd player with only a few titles is going to be impossible. I'll keep on him about the HDTV though. In time, hi-rez video will catch on, I just know it may be a long time. i'm a relative early adopter so I plan to get a player right away. My talk of Halle Barry,nude, around my friend's wife though may prevent him from ever getting one!!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
THerein lies the rub. THat is the average public. they think it looks great and why should they spend lots of (or very little in many cases) moola to get something "better"

So think of that when you start asking what the "next" format is and when it will appear.

·
Premium Member
7,193 Posts
Funny thing happened. i received two phone calls at home from my co-workers. This is unusual because they see me at the job and usually ask things there. Both guys were excited about news coverage on HD-DVD and wanted to know what I knew. That's a first. DVD is a well accepted format. I think this would be a very smooth transition if Sony and Toshiba has a single high definition format. It appears the HD-DVD is generating at least a little excitement. I also saw news coverage on the format. I don't recall much news coverage on SACKED or DAVID-A and my co-workers still do not know what those formats are. Lastly, I see a section, though empty right now, on Netflix's website for HD-DVD. Interesting.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.