AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where I can put this, but. What devices support 7.1 sound?

A lot of soundcards now claim they do only 5.1, but years back they were setting

them with 7.1 sound in them so what happen and who supports this multichannel

audio now?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I'm a bit at a loss here, you want a list of 7.1 channel sound cards? If the card says its 7.1 or 5.1 there's your answer. Personally I have an ALC889 onboard chip that is 7.1.

Your title mentions DDL, but it isn't mentioned in your post. DDL is Dolby Digital encoded on the fly, its becoming less and less relevant in the PC world with the advent of HDMI, but Dolby Digital is limited to 5.1 channels.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just want to know what out put devise besides blu ray support 7.1 audio to the

AVR? I know Xbox 1 or PS4 I think but does roku or 360. I mentioned sound

cards cuz a few years ago they had 7.1 advertised on their cards now its 5.1

maybe cuz they realize nothing really supports 7.1 speaker sets.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Digitally? I don't know of any sound card that outputs 7.1. DTS and DD are limited to 5.1 or in the case of DTS 6.1 over S/PDIF. Many sound cards support 7.1 channel analog out though.

Blu-ray players, Game consoles like you mentioned, set-top boxes like the WDTV Live, and PC video cards using HDMI can all output 7.1 channel audio either as uncompressed PCM or advanced codecs like DTS-HD MA or Dolby True HD.

·
Registered
13,586 Posts
Any modern motherboard with HDMI supports 7.1 PCM audio via HDMI. Finding a 7.1 audio source is a different story.

As mentioned, your thread title is misleading. There is no such thing as DDL 7.0. DDL is a DD encoder (limited to 5.1) which is no longer needed with HDMI.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, its not called that no more than. I kinda was wondering what sources do 7 channel audio than?

I sould like to get that from htpc via the ati hd audio from hdmi, but what source material can I use

to get that to work?

·
Registered
13,586 Posts
The only 7.1 audio source are from some BD discs, either Dolby TrueHD 7.1 or DTS-HD MA 7.1. Both are lossless and typically requires you to bitstream from PC to an AVR because fully decoding them to 7.1 on a PC requires commercial software that may cost more than a typical BD player. Most free software only decodes the lossy 5.1 core.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seems like their is no point to have 7.1 audio. I have a setup for it but is it a waste?

I have only a few blu rays and HD DVD vids like Blue Planet or Planet Earth stuff.

I don't care if it only does 5.1 from HTPC I use Optical anyway so no worries vim.

When will cable or SAT deliver 7.1?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.