AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive read the opinions, anywhere from the stuff to just get by on to the ultimate in HTPC, but I havent really seen too much on DDR vs. SDR.

A little background: I have accumulated a bunch of 256MB SDRAM chips, right now 1GB worth. Instead of chucking it and buying DDR, I was wondering how a P4 2.0GHz would work out with the SDR ram. I picked up an Intel P4 board that uses SDR (really cheap too), but now Im worried that the SDR would cause a huge bottleneck. For DVDs Im sure I would have no problem, but anyone out there using dScaler with single data rate RAM? I dont know how well that would work out (I want to have dScaler take the 480i out of my satellite box and upconvert at least to 480p, if not 540p/1080i). Im not sure how much CPU/memory is necessary to do what I want, so I figured Id ask the experts.

Thanks!!!

-Chris

·
Registered
686 Posts
though with increasing processor speeds DDR offers great performance enhancements, I should tell you that I had my Dscaler 3.xx, 4.0 running on an Athlon 900, 128 MB SDRAM, with no frame drops, this at 768 pixel width (PAL user), 1024x768 res. Actually, I had a few frame drops if I had more than 2 filters on... :)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that was my other option...........build it up with a P4 2.0GHz CPU and the standard RAM and my $39.00 mobo and let it fly. If I can scale my 480i to 480p Id be thrilled. And I bet it would work fine, its then just a question of spending the extra $$$ to get a genuine P4 when a Celeron 2.0GHz would be more in line with SDR. But if I get the P4 I can always switch over to DDR eventually.

I havent looked much into dScaler filters just yet..........but of course I hear great things about Toms MoComp, which is basically why I want to make sure I have the right setup, if Toms is really that good the nagging feeling will take over and Ill be *forced* to use it :)

-Chris

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
The Pentium 4 is a memory bandwidth hog. My "gut instinct" would be that you would be better off with an AMD solution if you wanted to use SDR memory.

From a price/performance standpoint, AMD may be the way to go. The money you save on memory could go towards a higher performance Athlon chip.

This coming from an "intel" man

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, going SDR was me trying to be cheap :)

If I go DDR, I could stick with an Intel solution, but the AMD solutions are still more desirable as long as I can find a stable mobo. My everyday machine is an AMD that I have no issues with, so I wouldnt mind having an HTPC work the same way.

It looks like DDR will be the best choice.........I really didnt want to build everything up then have to swap it out, so now its just a choice of AMD DDR vs. Intel DDR. I can actually get a P4PE with 2.0GHz relatively cheap (317 with HSF, case and power supply, at least enough for testing a setup), and an AMD solution isnt far behind that (maybe 30 or 40 bux less), so the prices are close. Judging from the opinions here, I think Intel would be the best way to go (this coming from an "amd" man :) ).

-Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.