AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
12,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All the motherboards are switching over to DDR4. That means DDR3 is about to get very expensive from this point on.
DDR3 is starting its End-Of-Life cycle now.

Anotherwords: GET IT WHILE IT IS STILL CHEAP! If you planned on EVER upgrading your DDR3 based system's memory, NOW IS THE TIME!
Don't wait until it is too late.

Since my system is DDR3 based... I did just that today: bought 64GB's of G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-1866MHz (because it was the cheapest-fast ram I could find in my area.)
My old 2012 ram was 1333MHz so it should be a decent performance increase. 1600MHz was VERY EXPENSIVE back in 2012 (like $1200 for just the RAM, hence why I didn't buy it back then) but which is my MB's native speed! So finally after waiting 3 years... I can now use it somewhat-economically.
Still cost me hundreds of dollars in 2015, but it was worth it...

Anyhow, consider yourself warned!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Agreed. Same thing happened with the switch from DDR2 to DDR3. I still have a few DDR2 modules that I saved "To EBay them later and make some money". Forget that idea; demand for DDR2 is non-existent and it costs as much to ship the thing as you earned after EBay and PPal take their cut. I guess I'll just throw that crap away. I have some DDR3 I'm not using (smaller 2GB modules)...maybe I'll finally get my timing right and make a few bucks selling THAT on EBay.

DDR4 is ridiculously expensive right now. So expensive that I took one look at the prices and said "Guess I'm build a DDR3 system for the new HTPC." So, I just built a new HTPC and went with a small MATX motherboard, a 3.3GHz i5 CPU and 8GB of DDR3. More than enough for anything I'll be doing with that PC.

·
Registered
12,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My old ram prevents me from going above 4.5GHz. I was able to just squeak a 4.55GHz when my computer BSOD.

With the faster RAM and should be able to hit this CPU's max OC range. I'm hoping for 4.75GHz on air. (Can't wait!)

I was looking at the new X99 LGA2011 V3 and DDR4, but their systems aren't much faster than my current 3 year old high-end PC. That's a lot of money for not much gain!!!

For a non-extreme 4C CPU I'm doing pretty good against the 39XX, 49XX and 59XX CPU's still...

My MB supports up to the i7 4960K which would close the gap signifcantly. The problem is is that CPU costs more than a XEON. LOL!
There is the 4930K which is half the price, which would be my next-best option. Which if I OC'ed, would place me at the top of the stock R15 CineBench list.
There is still enough room for CPU growth left in my rig to future-proof me for a while longer (as long as those CPU's remain cheap and in-stock. LOL. Welcome to the circus!)

So yeah, I think I'll be skipping over the X99 and 59XX cpu's; and waiting for "something" that massively outperforms my current rig...

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think DDR3 will still be relevant for at least a year. AMD won't be releasing a new CPU architecture capable of supporting DDR4 until 2016, from what I've read. And since AMD usually bests Intel when it comes to the price/performance ratio, DDR4 won't be trickling down to the general public for a while still I'd say.

64GB of RAM though, almost as excessive as your sub setup

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I think DDR3 will still be relevant for at least a year. AMD won't be releasing a new CPU architecture capable of supporting DDR4 until 2016, from what I've read. And since AMD usually bests Intel when it comes to the price/performance ratio, DDR4 won't be trickling down to the general public for a while still I'd say.

64GB of RAM though, almost as excessive as your sub setup

it may be relevant for another year but at a much higher cost. DDR4 has dug in...

·
Registered
8,201 Posts
It's not going to get more expensive for at least 2-3 years, prices are still coming down from when they shot up to double a year or 2 ago. DDR4 is still 2 years away from being fully mainstream. DDR4's price will dictate how fast it gets adopted. I paid $800 for my 32 gig of predator Hyper-X on it's launch and similar for every other ram that I got on it's launch. It gone down about 50$ a kit now since December.

At one point, I bought 2 gigs of Team Extreme ddr for $590 like 10 years ago LOL

·
Registered
45 Posts
^^ Agreed. It'll be some time before DDR3 becomes scarce/Mega Pricey (again?).

To do what?
Or, as McFinkle suggests, just because?
^ This too. :) If it's really 'just because' that is totally understandable, It's fun!. If you are using the rig for something specific, you *may* find upgrades worth the investment.

CPU wise: The Pentium chip is fun to overclock (G3258) on the cheap, Devil's Canyon does reasonable well after the TIM change, and even the Extreme Edition 8 core overclocks reasonably well also. My 'workstation' 5960x is on 4.4ghz, albeit under water, and absolutely rips compared to the 4770k I was using previously for the workstation. Granted it's not apples to apples, but still.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Once you have enough RAM, you are better off spending your money on solid state drives to speed up the storage subsystem or a GPU to speed up the DSP....
Every 3-5 years you should upgrade the motherboard to take advantage of CPUs with more cores. DDR4 is relatively new in the market. Originally it redlined at 2133 MHz but you can just now get them specced at 3200 MHz. You'll probably need next year's latest and greatest chip set to take advantage of that speed. Do you need all that performance? Depends on what you are doing. The really high performance parts go into servers, and gaming systems also, I suppose. Laptops are all about keeping the heat and fan noise down and battery life.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I recently upgraded my 4 year old Dell with a new SSD, added another 4GB RAM, and new GPU. I will echo what was mentioned above that the switch to a SSD was where I saw the biggest gain. Additionally, I found out the hard way that not all DDR3 memory will work in all DDR3 motherboards. My board is a LGA1156(1333Mhz max) and I didn't read the specs, the Ripjaws(1600) worked fine but the Sniper Series(1866) did not. Outside of my work blade servers I haven't looked at processors at all, I was somewhat surprised that my 4 year old i3 isn't a complete dog compared to newer reasonably priced desktop processors.

I will qualify that my home desktop is mostly used for online surfing and emailing. No gaming or anything that is too CPU intensive.

·
Registered
45 Posts
SSD definitely makes a noticeable improvement for most coming from SATA HDDs. Just loading the OS onto the SSD seems to make the greatest impression for most folks. That being said, everything is relevant to it's use: Crunching video or manipulating photos vs surfing the web vs playing games, etc.

Since we're already OT: If you built your own PC, that counts as DIY, right? :p

·
Registered
12,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
My MB was saying one of my ram was faulty, so all the more reason to upgrade.
That in combination with the fact that its slow 1333MHz speed is choking my CPU's performance to death, makes the RAM upgrade decision clear.

·
Registered
12,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
SSD is too slow. hehe ;)
I want to try experimenting with RAM disks, ideally I'd like 128GB's of ram for that purpose. Maybe one day, but for the foreseeable future 128GB of ram is far too expensive.

I guess it depends on your current system as to whether it is worth obtaining the max you can vs upgrading the whole thing.

My motherboard is dual-quad channel DDR3. So "in theory" I should see a fairly substantially performance increase: a faster ram clock, a faster cpu clock, and double the ram bandwidth quad to dual-quad.

In quad mode I'm getting about 30-39GB/s read/write with 1333MHz, that's 70 times faster than than my SSD, and dual-quad 1866MHz "might" be double that.
Very few MB's support dual-quad, so it's fairly rare (even rarer 3 years ago... LOL!)

You have to have enough for the OS in ram, enough for the app in ram, and enough for the app data in ram. It's really the app data that takes up lots.
Processing youtube videos entirely in ram, and playing games from ram into ram will be smoking fast (no waiting for levels to load, like ever.)

It's always fun trying new things and pushing limits.
I've been running 32GB for 3 years now and I've never encountered a situation that used it all. I don't recall ever seeing more than 10GB used, and that was an extreme case.

Most large businesses and number crunchers need insane amounts of ram sometimes (like 4 TB of ram) and 100 CPU's having up to 96 cores per OS is nothing abnormal,
but for home-users and non-power users 16GB is sufficient or even overkill.
16-32GB is standard for power-users these days.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
SSD is too slow. hehe ;)

It's always fun trying new things and pushing limits.
I've been running 32GB for 3 years now and I've never encountered a situation that used it all. I don't recall ever seeing more than 10GB used, and that was an extreme case.

Most large businesses and number crunchers need insane amounts of ram sometimes (like 4 TB of ram) and 100 CPU's having up to 96 cores per OS is nothing abnormal,
but for home-users and non-power users 16GB is sufficient or even overkill.
16-32GB is standard for power-users these days.
I would like to have 4TB of RAM, maybe then I could use all 80 processors. I can use up my TB pretty quick.

Text Oscilloscope Technology Font Electronic device

·
Registered
12,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would like to have 4TB of RAM, maybe then I could use all 80 processors. I can use up my TB pretty quick.
View attachment 679321
Windows Server 2012 R2 supports 4TB I believe, you'd have to upgrade.
XP64 and Vista Ult is limited to 128GB.
Win 7 Ult is limited to 192GB
Win 8Pro is limited to 512GB
2k3 R2 is limited to 1TB
2k8 R2 is limited to 2TB
2k12 R2 is limited to 4TB
Although with some reg tweaks you might be able to make it go even higher...

Not sure what Windows 10 / Server edition will support.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts