AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how exactly the deinterlacer works on the Panasonic 300u?

My guess is, if it is receiving a de-interlaced/progressive signal -- like say from a progressive-scan DVD player for example -- it will automatically TURN OFF it's internal prog-scan/de-interlacer.

And conversely, if it is receiving an interlaced signal it will TURN ON it's internal internal prog-scan/de-interlacer.

Sooooo ....

-> IS THIS CORRECT?

-> Does it de-interlace non-progressive signals on S-VIDEO (or other) input as well? This would mean you could NEVER view an interlaced signal on the PJ, right?

-> WHICH de-interlacer is better ... the Panny's or your average p-scan DVD player?

Thanks!

-Tim

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Yes, it auto-detects whether the source is progressive or not. If not, it deinterlaces.

Yes, it does it to S-video and composite as well as interlaced component. It cannot display interlaced video -- correct.

Which is better? The average progressive scan or the internal? I don't know.

Mark

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark ... 3 out of 4 is great!

Anyone have a answer for the last one? My guess would be the DVD player, but what do I know. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here's 3 1/2:

In theory:

The deinterlacer in a DVD player has at least two advantages: It can deal with purely digital information and it can use the progressive flag on the DVD telling it if the source material was progressive, so that it simply can use weave to combine the pictures.

In practice:

I do not know...

Bye,

Guenther

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two very good points ... I'd lean heavily toward the DVD doing a better job now. The projector is getting a too many conversions before it gets to its deinterlacer.

This may all be mute though to all but the pickiest of eyes, I suppose.

Thanks again,

Tim

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would say DVD player. Just looking at some H/V line material and text really shows the difference. I could say that interlaced gives you a more blurred picture and progressive is more sharp and clear. I get a better picture with the progressive out then what i use to get with s-video to IScan hooked up to the projector.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.