AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Saturday it died. Had it on zone 2 very low and "protector circuit" took over. Unplugged everything, let it cool awhile - No luck. It seemed to be in a well ventilated area. Packed it up and shipped it (40 lbs!) to Denon authorized service center (Syracuse). Was encouraged when I first called and the guy said it would be $150 plus 16.50 shipping. I was under the impression this was a common problem - the guy seemed to know what he was talking about. Today I get a call (my wife did) and she was told the "main pc board has a hole burned through it" and they need to replace transistors in the output circuit. New estimate $306-340 plus shipping. That makes my decision harder. It is 37 months old with below average use. My dilemna is do I fix it or just buy something new? Or do I send it somewhere else for another quote? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Depends on if you NEED an AVR right now. The new Denons will be coming out later this year, with some new features you might really want.

If not interested in new features, or in buying a newer (read expensive) AVR and can't find a used or don't want used AVR, then have the 3803 fixed. You will not find a new AVR for 350 that will sound as good, IMHO.

I would try and pick up a used or new old stock 3805 or 06. I would think they could be had for around 500.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.