AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my trusty old 4080 had a major hard drive failure. The unit was well over a year old (almost two years) and of course way past the ReplayTV warranty.

So I broke the seal and opened it up. Found a Maxtor 80 GB hard drive inside. Called Maxtor, gave them the serial number and was pleasantly surprised to find out it was still in warranty. Depending on the drive model I guess some Maxtor drive have a three year warranty.

Got an RMA and sent it back for exchange.

Meanwhile I had already gotten a new 120 GB drive and am now in the process of installing it.

So if your hard drive dies, and your ReplayTV is out of warranty, it wouldn't hurt to give the drive maker a call.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by TMOSteel
You can try this link also:

https://www.maxtor.com/en/support/se...ial_number.cfm
I think you'll find that only works with over-the-counter PC based hard drives. Because the drive in your ReplayTV is actually an OEM product when you try to use that web page to check for warranty info, it won't tell you and instead tells you to call the Maxtor RMA department. I spent a lot of time filling out all the details on the web site (a lot of information) only to be told at the end, to call them direct. They do have an 800 number though and the phone experience was quick and easy. In fact a LOT less time than it took for me to fill out all the web forms. 1-800-262-9867

·
Registered
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich A
I think you'll find that only works with over-the-counter PC based hard drives.
The drive in my 5000 was an over-the-counter drive so the site link worked fine (provided you run their diagnostic program on the drive which provides an error code for you to input).

It's possible in some models they used some type of OEM drive like you stated which does not come up but it couldn't hurt to try the site first (unless you really enjoy being on hold and pressing half a dozen buttons...)

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich A
I think you'll find that only works with over-the-counter PC based hard drives. Because the drive in your ReplayTV is actually an OEM product
All the drives I've encountered in ReplayTVs have been retail drives, not OEM, and all had verifiable three year warranties on the Maxtor web site. 4080, 4504, and 3 5040s.

Also running the diagnostic software to get an error code is not even necessary for an RMA with Maxtor. Noisy drives can be reason enough.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just my luck ... I did go to the site first, and after entering all the stuff, end result was a note for me to call them.

Anyway, the important thing is some newbies who have a ReplayTV that was under 3 years old may not realize if it's a Maxtor drive it still may be covered by Maxtor. Just thought I'd put that out there.

Just putting the new 120 GB drive in .. I hope it works. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.