Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am perplexed.

All of a sudden the DVI connection has stopped working. I have a new (4 weeks) Fujitsu 42" HD (30 series), and TWC. Today we have tried 4 new cable boxes with the same result. The DVI cable is new and very high quality (from Better Cables).

There seem to be no settings on the cable box (Panasonic "Voyager" via TWC) that turn or or off the DVI output, (and the TWC people on the phone know of none) and I made no changes to cables or menus during the time that the DVI signal stopped working.

On selecting the DVI input, the screen is all black, showing no signal at all. All other inputs (component, S, and composite) work fine.

After trying 4 boxes, I suspect that the problem is elsewhere, and I doubt that a good cable like that would fail, especially at a time when it is not being stressed (although for the price, you should be able to swing from it).

This leads to the suspicion that the DVI input on the Plasma failed. Has anyone had this problem? Is there some menu setting that might be wrong?

TWC is sending a technician out tomorrow (Sunday!) with a new box and (I hope) a DVI cable, and if that fails, the dealer stands ready to leap into action Monday and solve the problem by whatever means necessary. I can watch the Superbowl via Composite. I am not worried about an eventual solution being found.

In the meantime, if any other Fujitsu owners have any thoughts, similar experiences or suggestions, I would appreciate hearing from you.

As always, I appreciate the guidance that this forum provides.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Do you have anything else that can do DVI output - like a DVD player or Computer to check - if not it seems like your strategy as you described is the way to go. Maybe you can borrow a DVI dvd player or laptop to check the connection

best of luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not, which does limit my ability to narrow down the problem.

My TV dealer, who supplied me with new cable boxes to try, does not have, at this moment, a DVI cable, which also prevented us from doing much today.

Maybe he could try a new DVD player from his store, since mine is too old to have DVI. If I bring my cable to his store, he can hook it up between the DVD and a TV which would at least let us know that the cable is OK.

We shall see.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Did the DVI output of the cable box ever work? Frankly, I am surprised that TWC would send out boxes with it active knowing about their concern regarding piracy. They are of course in the same corporate family as Warner Brothers...

Eric

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it did. The first HD box I was given about a month ago had a dead DVI output, which we discovered when my DVI cable arrived. We swapped out the box once, and everything has been working fine for about 3 weeks.

Then one day, no signal shows up on the DVI input (which is called "RGB 1" on the Fujitsu display).

I remain both perplexed and flumoxed.

But calm.

·
23,030 Posts
Check the firmware version on the cable box. Maybe they upgraded

the firmware overnight and the new version does not enable the

DVI port. I'd be surprised if there is any significant increase in PQ

using DVI on the stb vs component. And there is no HDCP flagging

yet on cable that I'm aware of, so most likely no big loss. However,

it would be nice to know the reason why it does not work.

larry

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pooper: Thanks for the tip on the firmware. I will check that out.

I think I see a PQ improvement with DVI over component, but it's hard to say. The other advantage for me is that using the DVI input for the stb allows me to use the two component inputs for other devices, which simplifies switching.

And then there's the thing that just makes me want to know why the DVI connection just stopped working. (And I paid a lot for that DVI cable, too -- that's a factor.)

Full report to follow.

·
Registered
33,528 Posts
I'm betting on the cable box too, I never heard of this problem occurring on a Fujitsu. Can you bring your box to a dealer and check it on another DVI equipped TV?

·
23,030 Posts
Squidd99, roger that on too many outputs not enough inputs. :)

Also, I hope you didn't pay more than about $35 for the DVI-D

cable, that's all a good 5m cable costs.

larry

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Larry,

The cable guy thinks it's the box also, and he is going to bring me a different type from the one I have now. The current HD box being used here by TWC is a Panasonic, but they are just starting to use a Pace box, and he is going to bring me one of those.

We shall see, and yeah, I paid more than $35 for the DVI cable, but I wanted a strong one because it's the only thing holding the set up on the wall.

Holding strong so far.

·
23,030 Posts
Good. Hope the new box works. You may want check the HDTV Hardware

thread to see if others using the same Panasonic box have problems.
Quote:
We shall see, and yeah, I paid more than $35 for the DVI cable, but I wanted a strong one because it's the only thing holding the set up on the wall.
Can you explain more? The DVI cable is holding what on the wall?

larry

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Holding the plasma to the wall. Those little screw things on the DVI cable make it so it won't pop out like an RCA plug, and if you wrap the cable around a 2x4 inside the wall a few times, you can save hundreds of dollars on a "wall mount."

Still holding strong.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quote:
Holding the plasma to the wall. Those little screw things on the DVI cable make it so it won't pop out like an RCA plug, and if you wrap the cable around a 2x4 inside the wall a few times, you can save hundreds of dollars on a "wall mount."
If that is true, I would like to see a picture of that. Or, please explain further how you have your plasma mounted.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's how to set it up. First you get a really strong and thick DVI . . .

wait, I just heard a crash in the other room . . . be right back.

. . . . . . .

Oh, dear. I suggest you not, repeat not, try to hang your plasma to the wall with the DVI cable. It seemed like such a good idea . . . . . .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.