AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HD-A1 has performed very well over the past 10 months but today, inexplicably it decided to die (and, oddly enough I just updated it to 2.2 a little over a week ago which seemed to fix all of my skipping problems).

My wife hit the "open" button on the player which is normally how we start it to speed up the process. The player hangs with "welcome" on the LCD display, it never posts the HD-DVD logo on the television.

I've tried hard rebooting it as well as doing the clear persistant memory trick, all to no avail.

I've taken the cover off and checked that all cable contacts are tight, fans are spinning, etc. I can hear it "boot" and hear the HD-DVD drive start clunking and then whirring, but after that, nothing.

I manually ejected my Planet Earth disc that was in the player and tried to boot it up on my 2.0 FW CD, but no luck.

Does anyone have any further ideas before I contact Toshiba? What are my options if the player is about 10 months old? I'm guessing labor won't be covered, is it worth paying for a repair?

I had been considering selling this player and upgrading to the XA2. Now I'm not so sure. If this player is really dead then I am either out the cost of a repair to get the unit in selling condition, or I just write off the $350 I spent on it when I bought it. With the format war being undecided it doesn't leave me with a warm and fuzzy feeling.

And the worst part? My copy of the Matrix is soon to be on the way with "Matrix night" at my house to watch the whole trilogy with eight friends.

·
Registered
11,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxi /forum/post/0

Umm not trying to rub salt in your wound, but your signature line is a bit ironic now. i don't think there's anything to do but call toshiba asap.

I'm sure there are people with dead BR players (PS3 included) mr. smart guy.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The 1 year warranty should be parts and labor should it not?

In any case, the drive is probably worth $100, the ram $50 and the cpu $75. So even if it is dead and out of warranty, you can recoup more than half the cost of a new a2, and get 9 movies to boot...

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
If you buy another player, get a extended warranty. Better to have than have not.

·
Registered
11,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I have an update.

I've fixed it.

After all of the previous things I tried it occurred to me that when the unit locked up it was after having pressed the 'open' key to start the player up from standby state.

So I plugged it back in, and pressed 'open' instead of powering it on. This time it powered up correctly and opened the tray for playback.

So, my recommendation would be not to turn the player on with the 'open' button on FW 2.2. Having previously shut the player down during playback could possibly be related to this problem too since that's what happened, we had been watching Planet Earth, powered everything off, then turned the A1 back on with the 'open' button causing this problem.

·
Registered
521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 /forum/post/0

I'm sure there are people with dead BR players (PS3 included) mr. smart guy.

No really - not trying to be sarcastic- just trying to politely point it out before it delved into the typical flames. Thanks for the tip - I have an HD-A1with Planet Earth in it right now - powered off. Haven't gone FW 2.2 yet, but posts like this make me a bit nervous....

·
Registered
6,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 /forum/post/0

Well, I have an update.

I've fixed it.

After all of the previous things I tried it occurred to me that when the unit locked up it was after having pressed the 'open' key to start the player up from standby state.

So I plugged it back in, and pressed 'open' instead of powering it on. This time it powered up correctly and opened the tray for playback.

So, my recommendation would be not to turn the player on with the 'open' button on FW 2.2. Having previously shut the player down during playback could possibly be related to this problem too since that's what happened, we had been watching Planet Earth, powered everything off, then turned the A1 back on with the 'open' button causing this problem.

I normally NEVER press power down without going through stop first, but last week I did that for some silly "I'm in a hurry" reason, after which it ceased to function properly. I recovered via a power button reset and all was fine. My LD player prefers to be told to stop spinning the platter before shutting down as well, so I don't hold it against my HD DVD player

PS. I also always press door-open to wake up the player. Still works fine with 2.2. I'd bet your shortcut close down was the entire source of your difficulty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am having the same issues. my tray refuses to open. If I understand correctly what you are saying is to power off, and try opening the door when it is off? I have tried this and several other things (like rebooting), my door still won't open, and toshiba wants me to pay 70 at the least to get it fixed. any suggestions. can the tray be manually opened somehow?

thanks

Phil

·
Registered
6,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharbath /forum/post/0

I am having the same issues. my tray refuses to open. If I understand correctly what you are saying is to power off, and try opening the door when it is off? I have tried this and several other things (like rebooting), my door still won't open, and toshiba wants me to pay 70 at the least to get it fixed. any suggestions. can the tray be manually opened somehow?

thanks

Phil

With the player in standby, pull down the tray door and insert a straightened paperclip into the eject hole below the drawer. By pushing in moderately on the clip, the drawer should open, allowing you to remove your disc. Then perform the reboot and hopefully it'll be back to normal.

·
Registered
11,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharbath /forum/post/0

Just to be clear the reboot is just pushing the power (when it is on) and holding for 10 seconds?

thanks

phil

Actually what I would recommend you do is this.

1. Power the unit off while it is exhibiting this problem by holding down the power button until it shuts off.

2. Release the power button.

3. Unplug the power cord from the unit.

4. Hold down the power button again (with the unit unplugged) you will see the lamp blink as it clears persistent memory storage.

5. Plug the player back in after a minute or so (or in my case, an hour).

6. Press the "open" button to power the unit on. Wait and see if it boots normally and opens the tray.

Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.