AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4320 had been showing signs of stress of late such as spontaneously rebooting, losing the channel guide and now it appears to be a door stop. It wouldn't load a channel guide anymore and after dealing with the CS in India, it was suggested that perhaps reverting the unit to its default system when it shipped was the thing to do. Knowing that this action would, in all probability, wipe out the stored recordings I agreed to do it as it was totally unusable anyway.

So I did the deed.

Everything seemed to be going smoothly until the setup screens prompted me to input the DNS numbers since I don't use DHCP. That appeared to go well and it tried to do a net connect and then it rebooted. Did I mention the spontaneous rebooting? That didn't change. It can't get past that point without booting and when it does reboot it leaves me at the DNS input screen where it lost it's mind. This is an endless loop.

The good people at the other end of the phone offered to sell me a refurbished unit for $199 but I turned them down. I have plans for the drives and I plan to strip them of the recordings on a PC I built for this purpose.

Questions are:

1 - Are these symptoms recognizable to any one out there? If so, is it fixable or hopeless?

2 - Was I nuts to turn them down?

Much appreciation in advance for any ideas on this. My brain hurts. - Michael

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Most likely one or maybe even both of the hard drives are defective. Chances are both of the hard drives (there are two) are still covered under Maxtors 3 year free replacement warranty. The drives need to be tested with a utility called "Powermax" available from Maxtors web site to find which is defective. Run all the tests including low level format in hope the program will find or correct the defect. If Powermax gives you a defect code, submit it to maxtor for free disk replacement.

After you have two good drives load a downloaded disk image ftp://replay:[email protected]/ onto the first drive as a single drive upgrade (see attachment). If The recorder works fine as a single drive upgrade go ahead and make it a dual drive recorder again http://rtvpatch.sourceforge.net/dual_drive_upgrade.html

If you want someone to do this for you for a fee, feel free to email me.

replay4000 thru 5000 win2000 xp disk image install directions.zip 6.216796875k . file

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a 4532 go abd on me just a few weeks ago. Your symptoms are the same as mine, but your 4532 seemed to be a little better off. Mine got into a state where it would reboot, and get into a cycle. It got to the point where I was fighting the reboots just to get the opportunity to restore it to factory defaults. Finally did, and that made things better for an hour or two, then the reboots happened again to the point that it would not boot up at all (just displaed the "ReplayTV....Please Wait" logo).

I thought about whether to send it in for repairs (it was out of its 90 day warranty) or open it up and check things out for myself.

Decided on the do it yourself route. Took the drives out, ran them thru Maxtor's Powermax utility. Turns out the controller on the master drive went bad (PowerMax couldn't even see the drive). The slave drive passed its tests, so I reimaged the slave as a single master using the images, and everythings good again (except I lost all my shows....but I'm over that now). I haven't gotten around to sending the bad drive back to Maxtor (I'm moving into a new house in a few days, so I have bigger fish to fry), but the warranty on the drive doesn't expire until 2005, and past RMA experience with Maxtor has been good, so I'm not worried about it.

I feel your pain! If your master drive is dead like mine was, kiss those recordings goodbye. Hope you get lucky though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.