AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a new Pioneer Elite SC-07 back on Nov 28, as an early Christmas present for myself. It replaced a 6 year old Marantz that I had been using. I set it up the weekend I got it and everything worked great. The sound was AWESOME a BIG improvement over my 6 year old Marantz.

Wednesday(1/7) night we had a bad storm pull thru our area and my power was out for 3 1/2 hours. When the power finally did come back on I went to fire up my HT system and noticed the red light below the "Advanced MCACC" flashing, and the unit would not power up. I checked the owner's manual and it reads under the troubleshooting section:

Symptom: "The MCACC blinks and the power does not turn on"

Remedy: "The receiver may have a serious problem. Do not try switching the receiver on. Contact a Pioneer authorized independent service company for help."

So I called up Pioneer and got the local authorized reps address and took my receiver to him.

Now I have ALL my HT equipment plugged into a Belkin Pure AV PF60 Power Console and that is plugged into a Belkin 1500VA/800W Battery Backup Tower which is plugged into the wall. Is it possible that an electrical surge could have made it thru both of these pieces of equipment and kill my receiver??? The area I live in is notorious for brown outs and power outages so that's why I have all that equipment. What I don't understand is my Marantz was subjected to this many times over the 6 years I had it and never suffered any type of problem from the brown outs or power outages. But after only 40 day of using my SC-07 Elite the first power outage kills it!?
Man that worries me. Anyone else have anything like this happen to their Pioneer receiver?

I'm wondering if Pioneer is even going to warranty it. Their warranty states will not cover damage due to lightning or power surges"

·
Registered
3,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteLuvR /forum/post/15511572

Purchased a new Pioneer Elite SC-07 back on Nov 28, as an early Christmas present for myself. It replaced a 6 year old Marantz that I had been using. I set it up the weekend I got it and everything worked great. The sound was AWESOME a BIG improvement over my 6 year old Marantz.

Wednesday(1/7) night we had a bad storm pull thru our area and my power was out for 3 1/2 hours. When the power finally did come back on I went to fire up my HT system and noticed the red light below the "Advanced MCACC" flashing, and the unit would not power up. I checked the owner's manual and it reads under the troubleshooting section:

Symptom: "The MCACC blinks and the power does not turn on"

Remedy: "The receiver may have a serious problem. Do not try switching the receiver on. Contact a Pioneer authorized independent service company for help."

So I called up Pioneer and got the local authorized reps address and took my receiver to him.

Now I have ALL my HT equipment plugged into a Belkin Pure AV PF60 Power Console and that is plugged into a Belkin 1500VA/800W Battery Backup Tower which is plugged into the wall. Is it possible that an electrical surge could have made it thru both of these pieces of equipment and kill my receiver??? The area I live in is notorious for brown outs and power outages so that's why I have all that equipment. What I don't understand is my Marantz was subjected to this many times over the 6 years I had it and never suffered any type of problem from the brown outs or power outages. But after only 40 day of using my SC-07 Elite the first power outage kills it!?
Man that worries me. Anyone else have anything like this happen to their Pioneer receiver?

I'm wondering if Pioneer is even going to warranty it. Their warranty states will not cover damage due to lightning or power surges"

If nothing else, you can always claim it on Belkin's warranty. If they didn't trip the fuse in the surge protector, then obviously the Belkin didn't stop the surge. I'd be contacting them in case Pioneer claims the issue was because of a surge. Let Belkin and Pioneer fight it out who's going to pay.

·
Registered
545 Posts
What power surge? Do you have evidence it was killed by a power surge? If you have no conclusive physical evidence, why are you jumping to this conclusion? You should wait and see what the service center has to say about the nature of the problem, rather than shooting yourself in the foot with the content of this post.

After all, you've taken extraordinary measures to prevent power surges, surely, it cannot be that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy /forum/post/15511612

If nothing else, you can always claim it on Belkin's warranty. If they didn't trip the fuse in the surge protector, then obviously the Belkin didn't stop the surge. I'd be contacting them in case Pioneer claims the issue was because of a surge. Let Belkin and Pioneer fight it out who's going to pay.

I spoke with Belkin yesterday about their Belkin Connected Equipment Warranty.

In order to claim it with "Belkin Connected Equipment Warranty" Program this is what you have to do:

a. The part number of the PureVA Power Console

b. The equipment that was connected to the PureAV Power Console at the

time of the Occurrence

c. The equipment that was damaged during the Occurrence and the extent

of the damage.

d. The date of the Occurrence.

e. Where you purchased the PureAV Power Console.

f. When you purchased the PureAV Power Console.

g. Copy of the original receipt.

h. Your Belkin Customer Service Representative will then instruct you how to

forward your equipment, receipt, PureAV Power Console in use during

the "occurrence" and how to proceed with your claim.

I have everything they need. But the real kicker here is having to box up everything and ship it to Belkin so they can inspect it and determine if they are going to fix it or not. And it states "All shipping cost shall be borne solely by the purchaser." Not to mention that I'll probably be without my equipment for months.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lag /forum/post/15511616

What power surge? Do you have evidence it was killed by a power surge? If you have no conclusive physical evidence, why are you jumping to this conclusion? You should wait and see what the service center has to say about the nature of the problem, rather than shooting yourself in the foot with the content of this post.

After all, you've taken extraordinary measures to prevent power surges, surely, it cannot be that.

I hope your right Big. Maybe it's just coincidental that it happened during my power outage. I have a DTV DVR hooked up in my system you would have thought it would have taken that out too.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

Quote:
I have everything they need. But the real kicker here is having to box up everything and ship it to Belkin so they can inspect it and determine if they are going to fix it or not. And it states "All shipping cost shall be borne solely by the purchaser." Not to mention that I'll probably be without my equipment for months.

Aw, man. I always wondered if those guarantees all the surge suppressors have were worth anything. I guess we know the answer to that now. They'll probably just test the suppressor and say yup it works fine, it can't be our fault.

·
Registered
10,262 Posts
You may want to check all possible sources for surge, not just power. Connected to a network with cable modem/DSL, FM antenna, any subwoofers not plugged into a protected outlet, etc.

I'd see what your service shop says the damage is and start talking to your home insurance company immediately, sooner the better, not just deal with surge protector claims. They should replace/repair it for you but you'll probably have to have the shop document the damage. I went thru a similar instance several yrs ago, and documented everything. It took a month or so for the insurance co. to agree to replace a receiver, but they did.

Call them ASAP & report the damage, get the process going. If it turns out not related to surge, then Pioneer will have to repair under warranty but at least you'll have your bases covered.

ss9001

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Sorry about your 07 but my interest is in the difference between the 07 and the Marantz.

What model was the Marantz?

CD

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 /forum/post/15512046

You may want to check all possible sources for surge, not just power. Connected to a network with cable modem/DSL, FM antenna, any subwoofers not plugged into a protected outlet, etc.

I'd see what your service shop says the damage is and start talking to your home insurance company immediately, sooner the better, not just deal with surge protector claims. They should replace/repair it for you but you'll probably have to have the shop document the damage. I went thru a similar instance several yrs ago, and documented everything. It took a month or so for the insurance co. to agree to replace a receiver, but they did.

Call them ASAP & report the damage, get the process going. If it turns out not related to surge, then Pioneer will have to repair under warranty but at least you'll have your bases covered.

ss9001

Thanks for the info ss9001. I will get in touch with them on Monday and get that ball rolling. Did your home owners policy go up after you made the claim?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog /forum/post/15512079

Sorry about your 07 but my interest is in the difference between the 07 and the Marantz.

What model was the Marantz?

CD

I had an SR 8000 I bought it new back in 2002. It was a great receiver, never gave me any problems, and had good sound. I was just looking to upgrade to something newer with some of the newer features like, HDMI and 7.1. After doing massive amounts of reading here at AVS and going to test a few of the new receivers, I decided on the SC-07. Man what a different world it was, the sound was AWESOME, tons of power to drive my new 7.1 system. I hear things in movies now I hadn't heard before. I LOVE my new receiver and all the newer features, just hope it's not going to be problematic.

·
Registered
10,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteLuvR /forum/post/15512808

Thanks for the info ss9001. I will get in touch with them on Monday and get that ball rolling. Did your home owners policy go up after you made the claim?

No ours didn't, but we're not with the cheapest company either

I would not want to file more claims anytime soon & test them, since we've had the "luck" of having lightning surge damage 2 times over the past 10 yrs. The 2nd time was an expensive one for them. Garage door openers, receiver, my entire home network and anything connected to it, including a PC that was damaged, a phone.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow, you would think Pioneer would just fix it since its only 40 days. I'd imagine it wasnt a cheap reciever. It sounds like you've already talked with them, but id play dumb and act like "Hmm..it just died" lol.

I guess stories like this one make me glad that where I live...we have no weather haha. San Antonio is like a dead zone lately as far as any real storms or rain. Just high temps, and "cool" ones here and there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CXK /forum/post/15513055

Wow, you would think Pioneer would just fix it since its only 40 days. I'd imagine it wasnt a cheap reciever. It sounds like you've already talked with them, but id play dumb and act like "Hmm..it just died" lol.

I guess stories like this one make me glad that where I live...we have no weather haha. San Antonio is like a dead zone lately as far as any real storms or rain. Just high temps, and "cool" ones here and there.

I haven't said a word to Pioneer or to the company doing the reapirs about the power failure. I want to see what they are going to say when they find the problem.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
check the thread on the Pioneer 1014 and 1015 receivers (separate threads I think). This blinking light after a power failure was a problem with the 1014 receiver for sure. I had a 1015 that suffered from this too.

The threads contain a reset code that fixes this. Apparently this is what the repair centers use when they get one with the blinking light. If the reset code doesn't fix it, they check the hardware.

Not sure if the codes will be the same with the Elites, but it only entails pushing a few buttons on the front panel of the receiver.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu /forum/post/15515989

check the thread on the Pioneer 1014 and 1015 receivers (separate threads I think). This blinking light after a power failure was a problem with the 1014 receiver for sure. I had a 1015 that suffered from this too.

The threads contain a reset code that fixes this. Apparently this is what the repair centers use when they get one with the blinking light. If the reset code doesn't fix it, they check the hardware.

Not sure if the codes will be the same with the Elites, but it only entails pushing a few buttons on the front panel of the receiver.

DANG!! Wish I would have known that before I took my receiver to the service center. I would have liked to try to see if it would have fixed my problem. I hope it's that simple.

Thanks for the tip!! I will make my way over to the 1014 & 1015 thread and do some reading.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu /forum/post/15515989

I found the thread you were talking about here.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=pioneer+1014

And it had a Reset Procedure in it

Reset Procedure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the Service Technician that reset my receiver the reset procedure for a blinking MCACC light is as follows:

ENTER + VIDEO2 keys for 2 seconds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Several people tried it and it fixed their receivers.

Seem like this was a common problem on the 1014 & some 1015 models. Now the question is I wonder if it would work for the SC-07.

I wonder if I should try to contact the service center and ask them to try that before they tear my receiver apart, or go over there myself and ask them if I can try it???

Thanks again for the tip!!!

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
There's a reset procedure on page 100 of the manual. No idea if it fixes this kind of problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by catapult /forum/post/15518992

There's a reset procedure on page 100 of the manual. No idea if it fixes this kind of problem.

Yeah I tried that procedure and it was a not go.

I'm going to contact the company that has my receiver Monday and ask if I can come over and try the "ENTER + VIDEO2 keys for 2 seconds" reset to see if that work. Worth a try, I figure.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 /forum/post/15512974

No ours didn't, but we're not with the cheapest company either

I would not want to file more claims anytime soon & test them, since we've had the "luck" of having lightning surge damage 2 times over the past 10 yrs. The 2nd time was an expensive one for them. Garage door openers, receiver, my entire home network and anything connected to it, including a PC that was damaged, a phone.

Same thing happened to me last Sept. I had one of those "whole house" surge protectors from my electric company. Mine was a lightening strike, though. Not as extensive damage as yours. But, I lost 3 phones, garage door opener, 2 MacBook Pros, a modem, a WiFi router, wiring in 1/2 my house, even the battery and computer in my car. Fortunately, I was redoing my HT and all of my HT equipment was "unplugged".

The power company covered it. But, as I told them, I think it may be time for them to find another surge protector company to align themselves with.

Since then, I've installed a Monster Power HT 3500. Don't know if that will stop a lightening strike from causing damage. And now I'm wondering if it doesn't work, if they'll stick by their "guarantee"?

·
Registered
6,895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lag /forum/post/15511616

Even really good surge protectors usually can't do jack against a local lightning strike.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts