AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dead pixel on my Panasonic 46pz85u. I'm pretty sure it's dead because it's a tiny black dot which is noticable on light screens (this means it's dead, not stuck).

I left the TV on the bright Cartoon Network yesterday to see if that would fix it but it didn't. I have a 4 year warranty so I can contact the store I purchased it from about fixing it but I'm wondering if it will be worth them taking the tv and "looking at it" for the next few weeks while I sit here without my new tv...is there anything else I can try doing?

I have been very cautious with the TV. I've got just 70 hours on it, followed the break in settings and general plasma care. Could this have been caused by something I did? Maybe watching something too dark, too bright, too fast moving?

I don't want to rip plasma technology because I do like the TV a lot. But, the pixel problems with plasma is not rare for me. It's very common, seeing as the TV is only 3 months old.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman209 /forum/post/14292686

I have a dead pixel on my Panasonic 46pz85u. I'm pretty sure it's dead because it's a tiny black dot which is noticable on light screens (this means it's dead, not stuck).

I left the TV on the bright Cartoon Network yesterday to see if that would fix it but it didn't. I have a 4 year warranty so I can contact the store I purchased it from about fixing it but I'm wondering if it will be worth them taking the tv and "looking at it" for the next few weeks while I sit here without my new tv...is there anything else I can try doing?

I have been very cautious with the TV. I've got just 70 hours on it, followed the break in settings and general plasma care. Could this have been caused by something I did? Maybe watching something too dark, too bright, too fast moving?

I don't want to rip plasma technology because I do like the TV a lot. But, the pixel problems with plasma is not rare for me. It's very common, seeing as the TV is only 3 months old.

Thanks for any advice.

It's not common and it's nothing you did, the pixel must have just died. If you can see it from your viewing position and it bothers you, contact Panasonic Concierge and tell them that the pixel died and that you can see it from your viewing position. They have authorized warranty repair for dead pixels for a number of people here on AVS despite what the Panasonic haters claim.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Here in Quebec, it will be covered...So move here...

·
Registered
767 Posts
All fixed pixel display technology (LCD or Plasma) could potentially suffer from dead or struck pixel. One of our office Samsung LCD TV has a dead pixel right at the center of the screen.

Three years ago, when I got my Pio plasma, I got 3 dead pixels. I contacted Pio customer service and they give me the same BS about dead pixel is not covered by warranty if it is within their technical spec control limit (something like 99.997%). Sounds reasonable at first but if you do some quick math, (mine is a EDTV), 720x480=345600 and 99.997% of that mean up to 0.003% could be dead pixels which equals: 10.368. Crazy!!! Now imagine it is a 1080p display. 1920x1080=2,073,600 0.003% of that is 62.208 pixels could potentially be defective and still considered within spec.

Long story short, I spoke to the CS manager and he agreed to send a local technician to take a look but he couldn't promise anything. The technician came and said because two of my dead pixels were around the center of the screen and within 2 inches of each other, they could get authorized to replace the panel glass. I still consider myself lucky. So, I guess it really depends on where the dead pixel(s).

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Just curious, did they replace just the panel (plasma panel) or gave you a new TV? I have read here that the cost of replacing the plasma panel is more than the new TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSo /forum/post/14293214

All fixed pixel display technology (LCD or Plasma) could potentially suffer from dead or struck pixel. One of our office Samsung LCD TV has a dead pixel right at the center of the screen.

Three years ago, when I got my Pio plasma, I got 3 dead pixels. I contacted Pio customer service and they give me the same BS about dead pixel is not covered by warranty if it is within their technical spec control limit (something like 99.997%). Sounds reasonable at first but if you do some quick math, (mine is a EDTV), 720x480=345600 and 99.997% of that mean up to 0.003% could be dead pixels which equals: 10.368. Crazy!!! Now imagine it is a 1080p display. 1920x1080=2,073,600 0.003% of that is 62.208 pixels could potentially be defective and still considered within spec.

Long story short, I spoke to the CS manager and he agreed to send a local technician to take a look but he couldn't promise anything. The technician came and said because two of my dead pixels were around the center of the screen and within 2 inches of each other, they could get authorized to replace the panel glass. I still consider myself lucky. So, I guess it really depends on where the dead pixel(s).

·
Banned
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Hun /forum/post/14292928

smash it with a hammer.

ROTFLMAO

Throw it in the dustbin. This is why I would never touch a plasma let alone an LCD yuck.

Then I’ll walk by, and take it out of the dustbin take it home and fix it, then sale it on eBay for 1K to help me buy a video projector.

·
Banned
3,066 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice.

I have decided to live with the dead pixel. Many friends have come over to see it and have assured me it's no big deal. No one has been able to find the dead pixel unless I point it out to them. It really doesn't detract from the excellent quality unless the screen is a solid bright color, which doesn't really occur that often with me, except maybe on certain video game loading screens.

Yeah, it sucks I have a dead pixel but it doesn't damage the image quality or my viewing. I can live with it.

·
Registered
767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgkja /forum/post/14297234

Just curious, did they replace just the panel (plasma panel) or gave you a new TV? I have read here that the cost of replacing the plasma panel is more than the new TV

I don't know about now but back then (3 1/2 years ago), they replace the glass panel, not a new TV. I don't know why because the part cost for the glass panel is over $2K MSRP and my TV only cost $1.2K.

My only guess is the technician (it is an independent repair shop authorized by Pioneer) made more money fixing the TV then replaced it with a new TV. Me, I don't really care as long as I have a pixel perfect set.

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman209 /forum/post/14300366

I have decided to live with the dead pixel. Many friends have come over to see it and have assured me it's no big deal. No one has been able to find the dead pixel unless I point it out to them. It really doesn't detract from the excellent quality unless the screen is a solid bright color, which doesn't really occur that often with me, except maybe on certain video game loading screens.

Yeah, it sucks I have a dead pixel but it doesn't damage the image quality or my viewing. I can live with it.

How close do you have to be to see it? Can you see it from your normal viewing position?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSo /forum/post/14300695

I don't really care as long as I have a pixel perfect set.

I agree SoSo, it will bug me not to have a pixel perfect set. But I had to weigh the pro's and con's of getting it fixed. First of all, it really isn't noticable unless you are 2 or 3 feet away from the screen. One pixel on a 46" screen is very tiny. The rest of the set is working perfectly. It's a dark red pixel so maybe it's not dead, just stuck and will come back one day (I doubt this, though).

Getting a technician to come out and look at it and repair it might take a day or two and I would need to take off work to sit around and wait. Then, what if it can't be fixed easily? He needs to come back at a later date?

If I discover more dead pixels I will get a technician out ASAP but for one dead pixel I just don't think it's worth my time. I can live with it. I'm sure a lot of people feel like I do about this. This is why dead pixels are still around. If more people caused a fuss over dead pixels then I'm sure Sony or Toshiba would develop a "dead pixel free" technology for their TV's.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/14300797

How close do you have to be to see it? Can you see it from your normal viewing position?

I have really good vision which doesn't help me here: I sit about 6-7 feet away from the screen and since I know it's location by heart I can see it if I really study the screen for it. But if I just forget about it, I don't notice it. It's a mind game, really.

·
Registered
767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman209 /forum/post/14300798

It's a dark red pixel so maybe it's not dead, just stuck and will come back one day (I doubt this, though).
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Hun /forum/post/14300602

just run the JSscreen Fix and it might work, they can clear up after a while.

If that's the case, definitely try The_Hun's suggestion. It might be able to fix that stuck pixel. Dead pixel is a different story. Good luck.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son /forum/post/14300907

.. sounds defective.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ht=stuck+pixel

add: or health related; have diabetes?

Thanks daniel'son, but that is unrelated to this dead pixel. That whole fiasco you link to was due to the Planet Earth disc. There is one frickin' camera they use during on the first disc (section about the elephants in the desert) that has a dead pixel on the camera so it translates it onto the screen.

I realize now it could not have been my TV since the dead pixel on the Planet Earth blu-ray was giant sized compared to this dead pixel on my tv which is super-tiny. Plus, the dead pixel I noticed with Planet Earth only occurs on Planet Earth and not on the TV anytime else. I just went crazy when I noticed it because that was the first day I got my TV and it was the first blu-ray I tried and I feared the worst.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman209 /forum/post/14301168

Thanks daniel'son, but that is unrelated to this dead pixel. That whole fiasco you link to was due to the Planet Earth disc. ..

.. no biggie, just wondering if related; did Forum search & your previous thread came up.

my parents have a 46" W4000 LCD w/ one dead pixel; from ~9ft seated position i "cannot" see it, from ~3ft I can, but don't tell my Dad!!

read Pixar films may be helpful (Incredibles and/or Cars); also the Pixelfix referenced above.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts