AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

After much reading, researching, and stupid questions, I've decided to jump the gun and buy a 42" Panasonic G10. After a week of waiting, the TV arrived today (w00t!). After unpacking and admiring how beautiful the Panasonic was, I started up the break-in slides from D-Nice's thread. After a few minutes of the slides, I gave the TV a quick rundown to make sure all the pixels were okay.

Unfortunately, I found one dead (or stuck?) pixel on the lower left side, about ~7 inches from center but it only shows up on the white-->dark grey slides as well as the green slides. On the red and blue slides, it's fine. In fact, the pixel looks reddish when the white slides are up (on the green, it looks black). So I wasn't sure if it stuck or dead. I also want to mention that I can see it about 2 to 3 feet away, so it's not like I had my eyeballs to the glass.

I did some reading and one person suggested that playing a movie could help unstick a stuck pixel so I popped in Motorcycle Diaries and wow.... ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! No artifacts at all and I could only see the lone pixel whenever there was a green or white background (such as scenery, wide shots of nature, white clothes, etc). After about 30 minutes, I didn't see any notable change in the pixel so I assume it's dead.

The TV is less than a hour old so I'm not sure whether to call for an replacement or suck it up. I admit the dead pixel really bugs me and my dad so I don't know if we'll be able to live with that. I know, it's only one pixel out of a million, but I dropped a nice G on this TV so I don't think I should put up with a pixel that can distract me from the experience.

Regardless, I still would like to hear your opinion on this matter. You all are better-informed than I on this and on return policies. This is my FIRST EVER HDTV and I want it to be perfect, but am I being too anal about this?

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Clearly the dead pixel bothers you, so try to exchange the TV. It can't hurt. Before doing anything, I suggest contacting whoever sold you the tv and explain why you want to return it. You don't want to return it and find out they won't accept the return.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo.leon /forum/post/16958526

I also want to mention that I can see it about 2 to 3 feet away, so it's not like I had my eyeballs to the glass.

Do you normally sit 2-3 feet from the screen? No? Can you see it at all from your normal viewing position? If not, then i would just keep it and not obsess over such a teensy weensy little flaw that you cannot even see when watching the TV. Sometimes the replacement is even worse, or has some other problem that's even more unacceptable.

And check this thread out:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1168858

I don't even know if my G10 has a bad pixel or not, i always refuse to get close enough to my screens to see flaws or problems. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
One of the advantages of buying a display floor model plasma is that you can check for dead pixels or other panel issues before you make the plunge. It will also be well burned in, assuming it was displayed full time with HD material, which is most likely the case. Needless to say you should get a deep discount on the price but still have a full warranty and (usually) the same return policy. But then any problems should have shown up during it's time on display. And the panel's half-bright lifespan is so long now that a few hundred hours on display is meaningless. Of course this means buying local and paying a sales tax, but you also save on shipping, and the potential damage and hassle with return that could occur therein.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 /forum/post/16959326

One of the advantages of buying a display floor model plasma is that you can check for dead pixels or other panel issues before you make the plunge. It will also be well burned in, assuming it was displayed full time with HD material, which is most likely the case. Needless to say you should get a deep discount on the price but still have a full warranty and (usually) the same return policy.

I presume you meant to say "It will also be well broken-in" instead of "It will also be well burned in". If so, you need to correct it

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had a stuck pixel (red) on my KRP-500M the first day I began with the break-in DVD. After 12 hours of the slides in was unstuck and I haven't had a problem since. This was last Friday and I'm still running the DVD, but it's working fine now.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Besides running a Pixar movie, there are a few other things to try, as well. You can try gently massaging the glass (using a microfiber cloth) over the pixel. I've read that it has worked, although not frequently. There's also a Pixel Fixer mpeg file I've downloaded (pretty sure somebody posted it in the 9G Pioneer Elite Owners Thread), which very quickly cycles through all of the primary colors over and over.

If those fail, I'd return the TV. I got one of the first Pioneer Elite 111's over a year ago, and it came with a stuck pixel. I tried everything to fix it, and after a couple of weeks of trying (and being unable to stop focusing on that pixel when watching content), I exchanged it. It wasn't fun repackaging the TV and carting it back to Best Buy, but I love my new set and have had no problems with it. ::knock on wood::

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo.leon /forum/post/16958526

Hello all!

After much reading, researching, and stupid questions, I've decided to jump the gun and buy a 42" Panasonic G10. After a week of waiting, the TV arrived today (w00t!). After unpacking and admiring how beautiful the Panasonic was, I started up the break-in slides from D-Nice's thread. After a few minutes of the slides, I gave the TV a quick rundown to make sure all the pixels were okay.

Unfortunately, I found one dead (or stuck?) pixel on the lower left side, about ~7 inches from center but it only shows up on the white-->dark grey slides as well as the green slides. On the red and blue slides, it's fine. In fact, the pixel looks reddish when the white slides are up (on the green, it looks black). So I wasn't sure if it stuck or dead. I also want to mention that I can see it about 2 to 3 feet away, so it's not like I had my eyeballs to the glass.

I did some reading and one person suggested that playing a movie could help unstick a stuck pixel so I popped in Motorcycle Diaries and wow.... ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! No artifacts at all and I could only see the lone pixel whenever there was a green or white background (such as scenery, wide shots of nature, white clothes, etc). After about 30 minutes, I didn't see any notable change in the pixel so I assume it's dead.

The TV is less than a hour old so I'm not sure whether to call for an replacement or suck it up. I admit the dead pixel really bugs me and my dad so I don't know if we'll be able to live with that. I know, it's only one pixel out of a million, but I dropped a nice G on this TV so I don't think I should put up with a pixel that can distract me from the experience.

Regardless, I still would like to hear your opinion on this matter. You all are better-informed than I on this and on return policies. This is my FIRST EVER HDTV and I want it to be perfect, but am I being too anal about this?

If it bothers you return it. I returned 3 sets last year because I knew when I would sit down watch tv I would think about them but that is entirely up to you. I have read that it doesn't bother many people and they choose to keep them.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bandito /forum/post/16960508

....You can try gently massaging the glass (using a microfiber cloth) over the pixel. I've read that it has worked, although not frequently.

That sometimes works on an LCD TV because it has a flexible outer screen, but this is not possible on a Plasma TV since the screen is glass. And a Panasonic Plasma has the additional layer of glass over the Plasma screen's glass.

I was able to massage a brightly lit stuck pixel back to life on my former Samsung LCD TV so i know it works on an LCD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts