AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchesed a Sanyo PLC-XF20 this is a 4.3 projector, when I play a a movie 16.9 the black bar under the screen has a white pixel right in the center of the bar, it like the projector couldn't close the pixel could this be a stuck or dead pixel?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Rules for dead pixels: 1) same square shape and size as surrounding pixels, 2) focus at same plane as other pixels, 3) Noticeable on black screen (no signal). If it does not meet all 3 rules it's probably dust blobs.

If it is then it's probably stuck on like you said. This may come and go or be permanent. Unfortunately this is a weakness of LCD. Sanyo may not consider this "out of spec" as it's outside 16:9 viewing area and just a single pixel. It would bother me so masking with black cloth will help to cover bright pixel. This will also enhance your perceived blacks as the gray bars are covered on top and bottom with black cloth (felt is most cost effective, velour is best but expensive).

With DLP on the other hand, 1 single dead pixel is an automatic warranty job as it's "out of spec".

·
Registered
287 Posts
Angeli,

The same exact pixel on all three lcd panels would have to be stuck on for you to see a stuck on white pixel on an lcd. Not very likely.

Dlps show dead pixels as black or white, since there's only one panel to go bad.

The fact that it goes away when you run your regular dvd player leads me to think your videocard's screwed up somehow. Try lowering the screen color depth. If it's a video memory problem, this should have some effect.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I agree with Angeli. It's probably your video card since dead pixels should be present in ALL sources. Try to reduce the clock of the video card using Powerstrip (free shareware) or your Detonator driver panels (right click on empty desktop and click properties, settings, advanced, nvidia tabs, and clock settings). If your card is not name brand they may have the thing overclock or with cheap video memory causing video glitches. If this happens after a few minutes to hours, overheating could be the problem. Check you Geforce fan to see if it's stopped or stuck or add more fans (some goes on top of the card's edges to cool several card at once). All else fails try it in another computer to see if it's a bad card. Try different video card (Radeon LE or VE is only $50 now with great DVD and video picture). You're lucky it's not a dead pixel as it's a pain to get fix (few weeks turn around with warranty work). Also ask for help in the HTPC forum as they may have better PC knowledge than me :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.