AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at Abe's of Maine online to buy a 37" Sharp Aquos. Abe's return policy says 6 pixels or less is not a returnable item for replacement.


My question for the group :


How often do you get dead pixels right out of the box?


How many of you got DOA pixels?


Is the DOA pixel still much of a problem ? overblown issue Y / N ?


My luck would be to get 5 DOA pixels right in the screen center without a recourse according to Abe's


Would you guys buy online or store bought ? CC or BB or similar


THX from San Diego
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
For whatever it's worth, I have purchased 3 LCD's in the recent years ( 1 Sony, 2 Olevia) and none of them had any dead pixels. So in this sample size, it's a non-issue. And I haven't been hearing as much about dead pixels, so I would say it shouldn't be too much of a concern for you. But that would suck if you got it and it had some dead pixels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Every manufacturer and reseller has there own acceptable quality limitations now I've purchased 4 HDTV of various manufacturers and from different resellers in the last 3 months alone as well as many many other purchases online its the only way i will buy electronics now and of those 4 sets none of them had a single dead or stuck pixel they ranged from a SHARP 52" to 2 Olevia 37" and a Westy 37"

with the money I saved just on those purchases and the experience I had with each reseller was so much better IMHO then dealing with the big box stores I've dealt with in the past I won't mention any names...
now YMMV now I have not heard to many issues of dead or stuck pixels lately just other PQ issues that each manufacturer has. for list of very respected web site check out http://www.resellerating.com and use something like http://www.pricegrabber.com for good pricing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 /forum/post/0


Can you even see a dead pixel now a days when we are talking about over 2 million pixels on a screen...LOL.

sometimes though technology is a b!+ch there is software that will help you find dead or stuck pixels but doesnt seem to be a big issue these days


but yeah with 2 million plus pixels unless there front and center its not really that noticable
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
750 Posts
I have a Sharp 52". It has 2 stuck pixels, and 1 dead pixel. The dead pixel you can't even see unless you hook it up to the PC and use software to find it. The 2 stuck pixels you can only see if you are about 6 inches from the screen, and are playing HD content. Otherwise, you can't see them either.


If you get a TV that is 1080p resolution, the pixels are so small they look like the size of a pin-prick. So, not much to worry about.


Also, look at the manufacturer's policy (not Abe's policy). For instance, Vizio has a "no bright pixel" one year warranty. So, if you bought a Vizio from Abe's, and Abe won't take it back, then you could just call Vizio customer support and they would send you a new one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,088 Posts
Lets see, I just returned the sharp 32 lcd 1080p to CC cause it had 12 pixels that were green, red or white... on a black screen sitting 4 feet away it looked like constalations.. I took that back to CC and the manager was trying to tell me that it happens and all LCD's have these issues. He was trying to get me to keep the set. I told him to F off if you think that paying 1 or 2 or 3+ thousand dollars on a tv that I should expect this to happen. Not to mention that it had banding so back it went. I have had 2 37 inch sharps from costco and one had no pixel problems the other had about 5. Vizio from costco , no pixel problems. Samsung LNT4066f from best buy, no pixel problems... If I could or saw a pixel that was stuck green red or white. I would be pissed. Not to mention I knew where it was so everytime I was watching my tv I would be looking for it. To each thier own
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 /forum/post/0


Can you even see a dead pixel now a days when we are talking about over 2 million pixels on a screen...LOL.

For sure you can see a dead pixel....like a bright star on a dark night.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f /forum/post/0


I have a Sharp 52". It has 2 stuck pixels, and 1 dead pixel. The dead pixel you can't even see unless you hook it up to the PC and use software to find it. The 2 stuck pixels you can only see if you are about 6 inches from the screen, and are playing HD content. Otherwise, you can't see them either.

Did you do a hard reset under the options menu? I had the same problem with like 8 stuck pixels in a row on delivery. Tech Support had me do the restart under (I believe) the options menu and voila, no more stuck pixels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
From what I've seen Olevias rarely have dead pixels. I think they have a patent on manufacturing them a certain way. Do a google on dead pixels and it will show you how sometimes you can 'massage' the pixels back to life again. They simply become unseated. Stick pixels can easily be fixed with jscreenfix
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
!!!NEW!!!LCD with DEAD PIXEL!!!NEW!!!

I bought a brand new LCD 46inch Sharp "LC46D92U".

After few days, i noticed that there is a dead pixel (green).

I was beginning to be worry...if it's normal. 1 week later, i noticed again that there is more dead pixels, 2 more (red and blue). Well welll...my LCD is still under the 30DAYS, so i can make an exchange or refund...should I???

I've ask to experts that knows a lot about LCD. Is it posible to find an LCD 46inch 1080p without any dead pixel???VERY RARE...NOT SURE...MAYBEE... The Liquid Crystal panel is a very high technology product with 6,220,800 thin film transistors, giving you fine picture details. Occasionally, or in my case PERMANENTLY a few non-active pixels may appear on the screen as a fixed point of blue, green or red.

Everybody, SHOULD I just go exchange it for another one or it will be much chances the same problem with others 46inch+ LCD(Sharp). Or just simply BAD LUCK with that LCD!!!



Yes yes I am very picky too...especially with some dead pixels on it...

Finally, I did exchange my SHARP LC46D92U...for an other one. Well just cannot imagine that it will be the same with MY 2nd one.

Can someone belive it or not... Here's with My 2nd SHARP LC46D92U with DEAD PIXEL AGAIN!!! Brand New in the box both of them...

My 1st SHARP was with 3 DEAD PIXELS (green, red, blue).

Now with My 2nd SHARP is with 1 DEAD PIXEL (blue), but this is just for the moment (maybee even more later).

The Liquid Crystal panel is a very high technology product with 6,220,800 thin film transistors, giving you fine picture details. Occasionally, or in my case PERMANENTLY a few non-active pixels may appear on the screen as a fixed point of blue, green or red.

Everybody, SHOULD I go EXCHANGE it AGAIN for the 3rd LC46D92U??? Simply BAD LUCK with both LCDs??? I want an 46inch 1080P LCD with ZERO DEAD PIXEL...Is this POSSIBLE???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sth884 /forum/post/13376523


!!!NEW!!!LCD with DEAD PIXEL!!!NEW!!!

I bought a brand new LCD 46inch Sharp "LC46D92U".

After few days, i noticed that there is a dead pixel (green).

I was beginning to be worry...if it's normal. 1 week later, i noticed again that there is more dead pixels, 2 more (red and blue). Well welll...my LCD is still under the 30DAYS, so i can make an exchange or refund...should I???

I've ask to experts that knows a lot about LCD. Is it posible to find an LCD 46inch 1080p without any dead pixel???VERY RARE...NOT SURE...MAYBEE... The Liquid Crystal panel is a very high technology product with 6,220,800 thin film transistors, giving you fine picture details. Occasionally, or in my case PERMANENTLY a few non-active pixels may appear on the screen as a fixed point of blue, green or red.

Everybody, SHOULD I just go exchange it for another one or it will be much chances the same problem with others 46inch+ LCD(Sharp). Or just simply BAD LUCK with that LCD!!!



Yes yes I am very picky too...especially with some dead pixels on it...

Finally, I did exchange my SHARP LC46D92U...for an other one. Well just cannot imagine that it will be the same with MY 2nd one.

Can someone belive it or not... Here's with My 2nd SHARP LC46D92U with DEAD PIXEL AGAIN!!! Brand New in the box both of them...

My 1st SHARP was with 3 DEAD PIXELS (green, red, blue).

Now with My 2nd SHARP is with 1 DEAD PIXEL (blue), but this is just for the moment (maybee even more later).

The Liquid Crystal panel is a very high technology product with 6,220,800 thin film transistors, giving you fine picture details. Occasionally, or in my case PERMANENTLY a few non-active pixels may appear on the screen as a fixed point of blue, green or red.

Everybody, SHOULD I go EXCHANGE it AGAIN for the 3rd LC46D92U??? Simply BAD LUCK with both LCDs??? I want an 46inch 1080P LCD with ZERO DEAD PIXEL...Is this POSSIBLE???

Just to clarify, dead pixels arent any color. What you have are stuck pixels.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top