AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most LCD computer monitors have some number of dead (stuck) pixels allowed by the manufacturer before you are entitled to a repair under warranty. Often, that number is like 3 or 5 pixels.

Does anyone know what the limit is on the PT-50LC13 under the manufacturer's warrant, or if there is one?

Secondly, for anyone who got the extended warranty -- did the store's warranty have the same limit (if any), or something different?

(I apologize if this has been answered, but I've been lurking here for a few weeks trying to make a decision, and never saw that one answered. Also, how long is the manuf. warranty?)

Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The impression I got from these threads was that there was no definitive "limit" at all, but if it's bad enough to be clearly visible from a normal viewing distance, then it might be covered under manufacturer warranty. In this case, is the best I can do to simply ask my local dealers what their extended warranty covers? (Getting it in writing of course....)

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cobalt
The impression I got from these threads was that there was no definitive "limit" at all, but if it's bad enough to be clearly visible from a normal viewing distance, then it might be covered under manufacturer warranty. In this case, is the best I can do to simply ask my local dealers what their extended warranty covers? (Getting it in writing of course....)
I would say that Stuck/dead pixels are not covered under MFG warranty except in extreme and excesssive situations.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I asked Panasonic on this issue & here is the response:

Re:

Thank you for your reply regarding your Panasonic PT50LC13. We do not

provide dead pixel tolerances because an authorized Panasonic service

facility has to make the determination on weather a set has to many faulty

pixels. There are variables that govern the faulty pixel tolerance, that

are beyond our scope of information. You can check your dealer or with an

authorized Panasonic service facility to obtain information on pixel

tolerances.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Sorry, not related to the Panasonic set in question but I haven't seen this question answered. Does anyone know if LCOS sets have the same dead pixel problems??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by tboo
I asked Panasonic on this issue & here is the response:
Cool! Not cool as in that was the best response I could hope for Panasonic, but cool as in that's the exact info I was looking for. Good to know what their policy is. Thanks!

And I just ordered my PT-50LC13 an hour ago; it and my HD cable should be here in a few days! Thanks to everyone on their help, by the way. Best damn place to research this stuff before you buy. I'm gonna go look for tweaking info now so I'm all ready for it when it comes.

(Biggest single credit card purchase I've ever made, though. Ouch! I'm gonna go have a beer.... :D )

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mfusick
Your supposed to use the dealer 12, 18, or 24 Months NO INTEREST deals...

It's like FREE MONEY for a year and a half.....:D
Well, yeah, but I the only way I could get mine cheap was to pay cash for it. I'd rather save the few hundred bucks now than pay it all later.

Plus, it's not like I'm making any interest on my money anyway. :p

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cobalt
Well, yeah, but I the only way I could get mine cheap was to pay cash for it. I'd rather save the few hundred bucks now than pay it all later.

Plus, it's not like I'm making any interest on my money anyway. :p
WHere have you been...

Stocks are going up.... I am way up for the last six months.

It's supposed to get better... and rates go up. (can they go down?)

24 Months no interest is free money:D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Several digital cameras have a pixel mapping feature that virtually eliminates the stuck/dead pixel problem. I'm sure someone here knows why the same technology can't be applied to LCD televisions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by TD2
Several digital cameras have a pixel mapping feature that virtually eliminates the stuck/dead pixel problem. I'm sure someone here knows why the same technology can't be applied to LCD televisions.
You know, I'd never thought about that before. I can make some educated guesses, though:

1. It's a sensor technology in cameras, but a display technology in TVs. Thus, it's possible to detect where those problems exist only on the input technology -- cameras. There is no sensor telling the TV which pixels are stuck. Even if you could manually do it, though, there are more fundamental problems:

2. The mapping of the dead pixels is a processing step happening after the fact, a temporal convenience you don't have in a TV.

3. There's no way to actually disable those pixels anyway; there's still just as defective as they used to be, and the only way the camera avoids them is ignoring them when constructing your TIFF/JPEG from the sensor data.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.