AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Yamaha RX-V995 that's a few years old and just discovered tonight that the front right channel is kaput. I cannot get sound from it no matter what the source (including the internal test tones) and no matter if I use the internal amps or the pre-outs to an external amp. The sources, speakers, cables, and interconnects are all fine - I've isolated the problem to something inside the receiver itself.

Has anyone else here ever experienced something like that? Any idea what type of repair I might be in for?

My wife is extremely irritated about this. She swears that I sabotoged it just as an excuse to upgrade :)

Jarrod

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Did you verify it with another speaker? Do what is free first, check the internal speaker output fuses. If the fuse to that channel is good you have blown outputs. Make sure the banana, or bare copper on the speaker wire are never touching. Make sure you give your receiver adequate ventilation. Make sure you use the recommended impedance for each speaker.

"My wife is extremely irritated about this. She swears that I sabotoged it just as an excuse to upgrade" - so true, so true.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by hometheaterguy
Did you verify it with another speaker? Do what is free first, check the internal speaker output fuses.
The speaker works fine. Are you talking about fuses on the receiver itself? If so, I'm not familiar with that. Can you describe what I should be looking for?

To clarify, I use the receiver as a pre/pro only. I verified the right front speaker by swapping the left/right pre-out connections so the left channel signal was playing through the right speaker. In this configuration, the problem went to the left speaker, consistent with a problem in the receiver itself. I also verified the interconnect between the receiver and amp. So everything after the right main pre-out all the way to the speaker is OK.

Then I hooked the speaker up directly to the speaker-level outputs on the receiver itself to check if it is just a faulty pre-amp out on the receiver. But I have the same problems with the amplified signal coming straight off the reciever, so I conclude that something deeper inside the signal chain of the receiver is broken. I tested all this with several different sources - same results each time.

Anyhow, thanks for any advice or even sympathy you can give me at this point. I'm pretty bummed. :(

Jarrod

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Open the receiver shroud and check the fuses on the PCB. Replace with the same value.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.